SFIII Translation Project: PD Image Text

Input Needed

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PD Image Text

Post by legalize freedom »

I hope everyone is enjoying the improvements to the PD patch. V14 saw long needed updates to bring the PD up to date with the other scenarios. The one thing that is still lacking are the images. Special T is again helping out with the image editing and we have a prototype to share.

One thing we really wanted to do is make all the text the same size and width factor. The "Mode Select" screen (more on that below) is likely the most problematic. I like the idea of making the box text straight forward as well.

There are a couple of questions I would like the community's input on. See images below for reference.

1. What should it say at the top of this screen? Mode Select is not going to cut it. My initial thought is "Please Select" or "Select an Option".

2. What should the save game creator reference be? We worked through several options and "Records" and "Saves" are the only ones short enough to match the other font size and width.

Some additional info on this... Game saves are referred to in various ways throughout the game. Records, saves, files, etc. The decision we make here will also affect the references in game. I want to make all these references consistent. "Records" is the front runner since it is the primary reference used by Fey and Gabriel as well as being the most genuine to the shining world. We read books with stories of the events in the game. When we save the game, we make a record of our adventures, etc...

Rick
Lionheart
Shining Legend

Re: PD Image Text

Post by Rick »

Select an option and records work fine
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie
Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:
masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...
-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Century
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Century »

Records is fine.

I don't see the problem with 'Mode Select', at all, though. 'Select an Option' sounds awful in my opinion. It's what kids writing their first programs use to indicate precisely what the user can work out for themselves i.e. that they need to select an option. It just sounds tacky and redundant to me. I'm aware that comes across as pretty harsh, but that's precisely what I get when I read that - opinions may differ.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

I don't care for any of the options I've come up with for "Mode Select". That's why I'm asking here. Please put forth suggestions.

The one I haven't mentioned that I think has some potential is the greeting you get at HQ.
"What do you desire?"
Prince of Lums
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Prince of Lums »

legalize freedom wrote:The one I haven't mentioned that I think has some potential is the greeting you get at HQ.
"What do you desire?"
I quite like that one! I was thinking thinking around "seek" before reading that, but a direct quote from the game is nifty.

Also Records works fine for me, seems to fit in perfectly well.
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

Century wrote:Records is fine.

I don't see the problem with 'Mode Select', at all, though. 'Select an Option' sounds awful in my opinion. It's what kids writing their first programs use to indicate precisely what the user can work out for themselves i.e. that they need to select an option. It just sounds tacky and redundant to me. I'm aware that comes across as pretty harsh, but that's precisely what I get when I read that - opinions may differ.
That's exactly how I feel.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Mode Select is ok. You could also go with Menu, Choose a Menu, Menu Select, or some other variant of the word Menu if Mode is the offending term.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image