Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby Stordarth » Mon Mar 28 2011 10:18pm

Here it is at last. The Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition - 12 Man Marathon patch is finally ready. If you're familiar with the Milestone edition already, feel free to download and start playing. If you're not, or want a quick peak at the changes and refresh yourself on the patching process, the readme is in the spoiler.

UPDATED: 25/06/11

Made a fresh IPS file. Hopefully no more problems with broken patchings.

Implemented some stat changes, as detailed in the Milestone Edition Main thread.

~~~

Known Issues

Also the case with the Milestone Edition, Battle sprite palettes of the added character data go strange colours when certain spells are cast. I am still looking into this, but think I know the cause of the issue. A fix for both this and the Milestone should hopefully be on the way soon.

Promoting Lemon to Baron will make his Map Sprite appear like Claude. This will be fixed when I get to it.

In battle 5, if Slade is in your force, and is killed, the game will lock up after the battle. I have no way to fix this at present. If Slade dies, reset and try again.

WARNING: SPOILER!

Once again, I must extend my thanks to (in no particular order):
Space King - SF2 Edit, statistics extrapolations.
BNC - The Caravan, and his many many many hacks - great and small - and his continued assistance in implementing them.
Obob - Standalone 3 Digits hack,
Almighty G - For birthing the idea to attempt the SF2 solo hack
Rusty - Inspiration from the SF1 solo hack
Avaj - SFEdit
G E Silver Dragon, Aldur, Ehow22 and Loftus for testing and feedback
Eager players prompting me to stop being lazy.

And anyone else who has posted suggestions to improve the rom and move the project forward.

Enjoy. :evilgrin:
Last edited by Stordarth on Thu Apr 14 2011 2:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Re: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby zexxar » Tue Mar 29 2011 11:28am

YEAH !!! Thanks alot Stor!!! :D
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Loftus » Wed Mar 30 2011 11:10pm

Great to see this is finished mate, im still playing through one of the more recent test versions, although if i have any problems ill switch over ;)

One thing i have been wondering, is it possible to edit over the top of this hack? for instance if someone wanted to make a hack making use of the skip battles system and having 12 level 1's from the start?

Either way, great work on this Stor, it really is great fun to play :)
There are no limits.
There are no limits.
Loftus

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Mar 31 2011 12:42am

Well, this hack is built off of the milestone edition, so it would be quite feasible to do. Anyone can open it up and tinker if they like.

My third hack (not yet started, before you get your hopes up) will probably be a complete rebalance hack of some kind, built off of this one. I wanna get my hands dirty with the growth curves and mix it up. Just... not quite yet. Resting first. :) :sleep:
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Noma » Thu Mar 31 2011 12:46am

I'm wondering whether it would be totally rude of me to start my own and come back to these later to avoid being unoriginal, but I do indeed want to play them.

The urge to create is...just...to strong.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Thu Mar 31 2011 1:18am

Fine you still have my vote :shifty:
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Hungry » Thu Mar 31 2011 5:42am

This is pretty exciting. I just finished the battle before Bedoe. I'm enjoying it. I thought it was supposed to be harder though... was I mistaken?
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ehow22 » Thu Mar 31 2011 6:01am

It gets harder later on, trust me ;P
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Loftus » Thu Mar 31 2011 10:12am

The funny thing is, the chess battle is unchanged, and yet it's the first time i've had my entire team wiped out xD

I forgot how much of a pain it is when you leave the king till last and he decides to rush out and whirlwind through your force :eyebrow:

@Stor, nice one :) I was thinking of the same thing to start with, maybe just a small bit of tweaking to change things to how i think they should be changed (stats wise) and then in time make different forces to play through SF2 with. Its a nice platform to have where you dont need to have people join right at the end. Suddenly everyone can be used from the start which adds alot of freedom.

You've earned your rest :halo:
There are no limits.
There are no limits.
Loftus

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hungry » Thu Mar 31 2011 3:15pm

ehow22 wrote:It gets harder later on, trust me ;P

Alright, good. :)
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Fri Apr 01 2011 12:14am

Hungry wrote:
ehow22 wrote:It gets harder later on, trust me ;P

Alright, good. :)

Yeah, up until about Taros, there isn't really much in the way of crazy. The extra monsters are there to balance out the xp curve.

After Taros? Whoooooooooooooooooole different ball game. I kinda went temporarily insane. HAVE FUN! :evilgrin:
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Re: shinnig froce 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby Hungry » Fri Apr 01 2011 11:26pm

Well, I've beaten the second cave battle. I'm still not seeing much of a difficulty increase. I'm enjoying it though. I also like how you've allowed clear vision in the caves. Oh, and what up with my sorcerer learning Triton? Pfft. ;P
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ehow22 » Sat Apr 02 2011 10:03pm

I restarted this and chose to use the 5 centaurs, it's not against the rules to not use a full team right?
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Re: shinnig froce 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby Stordarth » Sun Apr 03 2011 1:08pm

Hungry wrote:Well, I've beaten the second cave battle. I'm still not seeing much of a difficulty increase. I'm enjoying it though. I also like how you've allowed clear vision in the caves. Oh, and what up with my sorcerer learning Triton? Pfft. ;P

NEPTUN always looked unfinished. I changed it to a name that is complete. Plus Triton is cool.

I think the difficulty ramps up more once you start getting towards Zalbard. Bigger enemies start appearing sooner and sooner.

Ehow: If you wanna use the 5 centaurs and only those, go ahead.

Take these hints on board though:

Mix up your stat boost items to polarise your knight's strengths. Most of their stats are fairly similar, and you'll want to buff some people to give more variance; make a clear tank, a clear damage dealer etc. Also, i find it's a good idea to keep some with lances and some with spears to diversify your arsenal.
Last edited by Stordarth on Mon Apr 04 2011 3:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Hungry » Mon Apr 04 2011 3:47am

Who is this "Zablard" you speak of? ;P

I beat Zalbard. I appreciate what you did there. I got ambushed. I held it together really well though. No casualties. I lost Peter in the next battle though. Whoops! Anyway, the difficulty is picking up, sure. But the way you talked earlier, I was hoping I'd be just BARELY winning battles. You know, close battles can be exciting! Anyway, I think maybe I just picked too strong of a force. I really optimized it for my strategies, because I was expecting it to be harder.
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Mon Apr 04 2011 3:53am

Hungry wrote:Who is this "Zablard" you speak of? ;P

I beat Zalbard. I appreciate what you did there. I got ambushed. I held it together really well though. No casualties. I lost Peter in the next battle though. Whoops! Anyway, the difficulty is picking up, sure. But the way you talked earlier, I was hoping I'd be just BARELY winning battles. You know, close battles can be exciting! Anyway, I think maybe I just picked too strong of a force. I really optimized it for my strategies, because I was expecting it to be harder.

Geshp and the Tower should fit that criteria

Probably Zeon too.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Hungry » Mon Apr 04 2011 4:17am

Sweet. I hope so.
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby TheHorseman » Wed Apr 13 2011 11:17pm

Hi there! Just found the Milestoen Edition here and it revived my SF days like nobody's business!

Awesome work and you deserve major props!

However, I would like to report an issue that I am currently stuck with.

Since its been years since I played you'll forgive me if I get a few things mixed up.

I'm playing the battle 12 (Mountainside to Bedoe) and at a certain point of the battle an Evil Smoke appears just above the Entrance to Bedoe and just sits there never moving. After I eliminate everyone it still sits there and doesn't move.

None of the people in my current party, because of who I chose and/or the level they are at, can reach the creature for a melee or long range or spell attack.

Not sure if this was designed this way but I've used Egress and re-done the battle 4 times and still get the same result...not sure if I shoudl try to bring a Brass Gunner or something with the extra reach but that will take some work as I never picked any of the them from the start and would have to re-do the level a lot to get them up level 20.

I'd appreciate any help you can give!
TheHorseman

Postby Stordarth » Thu Apr 14 2011 12:32am

This was mentioned by a tester, but I thought I'd fixed it.

When it sits still, does the cursor still go to it and give the creature it's turn? or does it just skip him entirely?

EDIT:

Think i found the problem. New patch uploaded. Could you test the new patch please?
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby TheHorseman » Thu Apr 14 2011 4:35pm

Oh it gets its turn alright! I'll apply the patch alright, but for some reason when had one more go at it, once I killed the Dark Archer it played some script about the other jewel and then ended the battle (even though I hadn't killed everyone yet, maybe 3-4 guys left). So at least I got to move on :)
TheHorseman

Next

Return to Shining Force II