Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Progress Feedback

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Progress Feedback

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Mar 18 2007 6:32am

Thought I would create a junk thread for any feedback related to the progress report.

Post any questions, comments or suggestions about the translation project here.

I will also use this to announce new progress report postings. New one today.

I would also encourage anyone who is a long time shining fan to get involved with the discussions we have here. Post new topics or give your input. This project is about you and your love for the shining series and SF3.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Progress Feedback

Postby verydopey » Sun Mar 18 2007 2:41pm

first off... thanks for the amazing effort!

second, do you think you could possibly estimate some sort of percentage of completion? would just be useful to know.

anyways
thanks!
verydopey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Mar 18 2007 6:44pm

Given the nature of the project... with the many stages the process has... each at different levels of completion... it is very difficult to nail down a percentage complete. I don't know if I should even attempt to.

There can also be long stretches where only leg work is happening. No progress is realized, but things that need to be done are getting done.

Add to that the fact that the final review for accuracy by the Translation group will likely continue well after beta... (I plan to move forward with the script we have available but it will be replaced/corrected after the lines are reviewed)

I try to give enough information in the progress report for everyone to get an idea of the percent complete. I also have an excel file that I'm still putting together to track the progress on each section. I will try to get that posted. I'll post or edit when I do.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Sun Mar 18 2007 7:04pm

I would like to echo the sentiment of thanks. And I would secondly like to say that I wish my command of Japanese was stronger so that I could be of some help in this project.

Anyway, I'm technically useless, but I figure I might start posting my opinions on things where opinions are asked because I feel like I should do something.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Mar 18 2007 7:20pm

Opinions are very helpful. We are making every effort to keep this in the true Shining spirit. And veteran Shining fans know what that means.

I've posted the Section Progress file. Feel free to critique that as well. Let me know if there is any useful relevant info it lacks...

Scenario 2 Section Progress
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Sun Mar 18 2007 10:08pm

The analysis looks pretty thorough to me. I admit that I have a limited understanding of the project but it doesn't look as though there's anything missing.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Evil Gately » Sun Mar 18 2007 11:53pm

Other than offering my continual support in spirit due to my complete lack of understanding of the Japanese language or technical matters relating to the project (read: my continual nagging to hurry up and realise the dreams of pretty much all Shining fans everywhere and get Shining Force III fully translated but not being able to do a lot myself but wave flags and shout 'Yay!'due to my own dumb-arsedness), I haven't been involved in the project at all, but I have been following its progress.

I'll say again, I will do anything I'm able to to help out. I have an 'A' Level in English Language, so proof-reading is about the only assistance I can realistically offer, and I believe you have an abundance of proof readers already, but hey, the offer's there, all the same!

I'll add my thanks/congratulations to those that have been/will be given in this thread. You guys are really doing a remarkable job, and it is truly something to be proud of. Technically, you're doing on a voluntary basis what usually costs thousands to produce, and from what I can tell, a lot more thoroughly, too! I don't think words will cover what a lot of us want to say. Condensed into one word, it would be "Thanks," but that doesn't even begin to cover it!

All I can say is well done so far, you're going to make a lot of people very happy! :thumbsup:
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Evil Gately

Agent of Karma
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Mar 19 2007 3:51am

Thanks for the support guys.

I have just uploaded new Sc2 files. There was an issue I had to resolve. If anyone is interested... Every spell and Item name was previously showing up overlapping the icon (too far to the left), so I included a space before each one. They showed up nice then, but all of the battle messages and town messages that had to do with items or spells had an extra space in them, so I had to go back through and remove the space leading these items and spells. I believe everything is looking great now.

There was also a problem with the town messages that I fixed up. They should all be correct now.

I hear alot of people who say they are not qualified to help with the project, but the fact is if you have basic software knowledge, (such as windows or office) you could probably help. Most everything that is being done is explained very well in the read me files on the FTP (specifically the Translator read me... I will also be adding more info to this file soon). If you have the drive to participate and the time to dedicate to it, then you are qualified. I don't believe anyone here would not have the capacity for this work...

In fact, I have a need right now for some help with some very easy work. If anyone thinks they have the time and desire to be involved, I will find something that matches your skill set.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tony26 » Mon Mar 19 2007 10:27am

I felt like I should be doing something to help, so I took a look at the Translation tools off of the FTP site. After an hour or so trying to figure it out - I managed it - :thumbsup:

Only problem now is translating the japanese script - I have no knowledge of written japanese :( - however I am English so I guess I'm half way to becoming a translator :) Anyone got any suggestions for a decent translation site?

T :thumbsup:

P.S. Shining Force Central has a complete script translation - (silly question perhaps) but has anyone thought of transfering that script over to reduce the translation time - or to not translate at all as you have all the english already!
Tony26

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Mar 19 2007 1:16pm

We are using that available script until it can be reviewed for accuracy. Much of it is accurate, but some is not. To that end, we are leaving the translation to qualified translators (which we also need). Babblefish translation will not do.

I have some very specific tasks that need to be done. If you would like to help, please PM me an email you check often and I'll give you the info. Make sure you have the time to dedicate and a love of the Shining series before getting involved. Those are the major qualifiers.

Thanks!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Mar 19 2007 3:12pm

Well... I'm absolutely a technical dunce, but I do know some Japanese. Probably not enough to be of any real use, but if you feel you could use the extra hand I suppose I could try.

Note, I'm not promising that my knowledge is extensive enough.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Mar 19 2007 3:59pm

I have posted a new SF3Translator.exe to the FTP. I have included some information in the read me about Page Migration and making Script files and the files that enable what is described.

This is probably of no use to anyone, but I wanted to get it on paper for the record. In the event something happens to me, I want the knowledge out there. Of course only sudden death would cause me to not finish this...

It is also good for potential team members to see what it is all about. I think it takes a little of the intimidation out of the tasks to have them fully described.

Thanks for volunteering Demonic Weasel, but we really need experienced and confident Translators. There are technical tasks, but if you claim to be a technical dunce, I will have to take you for your word. Maybe even more valuable than skill itself is the ability to know ones limits ;)
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Mar 19 2007 6:09pm

I'm just as happy not needing to embarras myself anyway. Best of luck to you.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby frynmeli » Tue Mar 20 2007 9:59am

Demonic Weasel and Evil Gately summed up my happiness-helplessness about the team's progress. Many thanks regardless and Elbesem's speed to everybody on the translation project! As a token of appreciation, I hereby promise each of you an altar with Cut Flowers and Yummy Meat offerings in my home if you get Instantly Killed.

I'd also like to ask a(nother) question. I've been abusing legalize freedom's weapon list on my current playthrough, but it spells what I thought was orihalcon, given the katakana, with an 'f' in place of the 'h'. 'Orihalcon' yielded more search results on Google than 'orifalcon' did, plus it was spelt as such in Golden Sun: TLA, so I'm interested to know which spelling the translators prefer.
Don't drink. Just Disdrive.
frynmeli

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Mar 20 2007 10:07am

I'm for Orihalcon. Couldn't remember the correct spelling of the english word until you mentioned it.
I'd rather suggest Orichalcum, or even Orichalc. :)

Oh and this section progress file is very neat.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Tue Mar 20 2007 3:23pm

I think Orifalcon is cool. But....

Orichalcum is a legendary metal mentioned in several ancient writings, most notably the story of Atlantis as recounted in the Critias dialogue, recorded by Plato. According to Critias, orichalcum was considered second only to gold in value, and was found and mined in many parts ...

Makes more sense. Eh.
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby frynmeli » Tue Mar 20 2007 4:03pm

I fear your mindreading skills, Lord Oddeye! I was just thinking about orichalcum and its spelling variations myself. Thanks also to Orange Gort for the estimate of its value. I was reading this, or at least trying to, but didn't come across the 'second only to gold' part. Cheers!

It's true orichalcum most resembles oreichalkos (ορείχαλκος), but I hesitated to associate this supposedly red metal with what looks like a blue material in the icon. After some reading, I found Japanese transliteration tends to misrepresent 'χ', among others, which may explain the widespread use of oriharukon (オリハルコン) in favour of orikarukon or even orikyarukamu.

I'm all for accuracy, so I'll second Lord Oddeye's vote for Orichalcum. I never did like Orichalc, though, because it sounded too much like VisiCalc. Ah, my nerdiness, it kills.
frynmeli

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Mar 20 2007 4:29pm

Yeah despite the color difference I always compared this material to orichalcum, even in Golden Sun where it looks like gold or in Shining Soul where it's also blue.

EDIT : Looks like Scenario 3 is considered to be part of the list of video games that use orichalcum
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Wed Mar 21 2007 12:21am

frynmeli @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:03 pm) wrote:but I hesitated to associate this supposedly red metal with what looks like a blue material in the icon. After some reading, I found Japanese transliteration tends to misrepresent 'χ', among others, which may explain the widespread use of oriharukon (オリハルコン) in favour of orikarukon or even orikyarukamu.

And you can also notice that there many "Orifalcon" weapons are indeed red. Possibly just as many as blue. so :confused:
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Apr 13 2007 6:19pm

Our star translator's output was Orichalcum, and it appears to be the prevailing opinion, so I'm going with that. I will be posting the Sc.3 weapon/item list soon...and the Special attacks a bit later.

New Progress Report as well.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to SFIII Translation Project