Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SFC Test Forums

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Re: SFC Test Forums - check latest post

Postby Moogie » Mon Jan 17 2011 9:02am

No-one at the new boards will get validated yet as all the user/post data etc needs to be re-imported when we're ready to swtich, to ensure we're fully up to date there.

As for registration - well, you may have seen people registering, but none of them were successful - meaning the bot prevention is working. I've set up a Q&A to prevent bots, I don't expect many will guess the "Fill in the blank: ******* Force". If it seems to work, I'll be able to disable admin activation of accounts.

BoneIdol: Thanks for tidying up the sigs, I'll sort out moving the CSS to the prpoer file later (the CSS gets copied to the DB via the admin panel when modified there, as there are bits which need parsing).

Patrel: I really don't feel there's too much white, but maybe that's down to my monitor settings. If the majority feel strongly about it then I guess I'll think about changing it, but as it is I think it looks nice and clean.
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Alpha » Mon Jan 17 2011 9:09am

It really is amazing how much monitors can alter how it looks. I'll check tomorrow on the super high quality Apple monitors we have at uni and see.
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas' character sheet
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas' character sheet
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Jan 17 2011 9:26am

Moogie @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:02 am) wrote:As for registration - well, you may have seen people registering, but none of them were successful - meaning the bot prevention is working. I've set up a Q&A to prevent bots, I don't expect many will guess the "Fill in the blank: ******* Force". If it seems to work, I'll be able to disable admin activation of accounts.

Have you considered using one of the (no doubt myriad) CAPTCHA plugins for phpBB? One of the ones that generate an image of random characters and ask you to type them in? They generally work quite well at preventing bots. :)

Moogie @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:02 am) wrote:BoneIdol: Thanks for tidying up the sigs, I'll sort out moving the CSS to the prpoer file later (the CSS gets copied to the DB via the admin panel when modified there, as there are bits which need parsing).

Ahhh I see. I was getting quite stressed when it wouldn't update the CSS. :(

Incidentally, to any HTML/web dev types, if you ever find a box doesn't want to render at all in IE, it's probably this. That took so bloody long to work out. :angry:
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kaihaku » Mon Jan 17 2011 11:05am

Moogie @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 am) wrote:As for registration - well, you may have seen people registering, but none of them were successful - meaning the bot prevention is working. I've set up a Q&A to prevent bots, I don't expect many will guess the "Fill in the blank: ******* Force". If it seems to work, I'll be able to disable admin activation of accounts.

BoneIdol @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 am) wrote:Have you considered using one of the (no doubt myriad) CAPTCHA plugins for phpBB? One of the ones that generate an image of random characters and ask you to type them in? They generally work quite well at preventing bots. :)

Captcha had a low success rate for me on phpBB, even at the highest settings, and I ended up enabling admin activation of accounts to counter the wave of bogus registrations. Given Captcha's popularity, I think bots are going to continue to get better and better at beating it. I think the customized Q&A will thwart most bots, unless someone takes the time to customize their bots for Shining Force Central. Also, on the company blog, I've had a lot of success filtering out spam with Akismet and I think it has a Mod for phpBB3.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Mon Jan 17 2011 1:15pm

The only Akismet mod I know for phpbb only worked for phpbb 2.x, and has been discontinued.

Don't know whether the one for phpbb 2.x works for 3.x
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Jan 17 2011 1:36pm

I've read up on that Askimet and I'm leaning against using it. What it's essentially doing is sending every post to their servers and applying bayesian filtering to work out how probable a post is spam. This has some problems but, assuming they haven't astroturfed google, false positives are very low, it does a good job finding spam and it is free in most cases.

However, what has swung the no vote for me though is that I can't find a single thing anywhere about what they do with the data from these comments (aside from they use them to help make it better). I can find a privacy policy for the site itself, and I can find a TOS page that basically says "whatever we did, we aren't liable". I can't find a privacy policy for the service itself - there isn't any information regarding what data they're storing (you get enough anonymous information, it isn't anonymous anymore), who they're sharing it with or anything remotely useful like that. :(

If I can see information regarding that as well as what particular set of data protection laws they're beholden to, I will possibly change my mind, but until then I'm gonna say it's not such a great idea.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Mon Jan 17 2011 4:31pm

I'll see how it goes with the Q&A - certainly here the bots never seem to get it right, and it seems that way on phpBB.

If it becomes a problem, will just enable admin validation again (which is currently enabled anyway as I don't want newbs on the test forums).
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Kaihaku » Mon Jan 17 2011 5:17pm

Swalchy @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 am) wrote:The only Akismet mod I know for phpbb only worked for phpbb 2.x, and has been discontinued.

I didn't look into it very carefully and now that I have I see that you're right. What lead me astray was that there are beginnings of a Akismet mod for phpbb3 but it was abandoned long before reaching functional status. Google search showed me the Mod entry and I didn't take the time to look into it then, the version 0.2 would have been a dead giveaway had I bothered to look more closely.

BoneIdol @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 am) wrote:I've read up on that Askimet and I'm leaning against using it. What it's essentially doing is sending every post to their servers and applying bayesian filtering to work out how probable a post is spam. This has some problems but, assuming they haven't astroturfed google, false positives are very low, it does a good job finding spam and it is free in most cases.

In my experience it's worked wonders on 'open' blogs but it is a bit overkill for a forum that requires registration.

BoneIdol @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 am) wrote:However, what has swung the no vote for me though is that I can't find a single thing anywhere about what they do with the data from these comments (aside from they use them to help make it better). I can find a privacy policy for the site itself, and I can find a TOS page that basically says "whatever we did, we aren't liable". I can't find a privacy policy for the service itself - there isn't any information regarding what data they're storing (you get enough anonymous information, it isn't anonymous anymore), who they're sharing it with or anything remotely useful like that. :(

If I can see information regarding that as well as what particular set of data protection laws they're beholden to, I will possibly change my mind, but until then I'm gonna say it's not such a great idea.

The Privacy Policy isn't limited to the site itself, it covers all of their websites and webservices including WordPress.com and Askimet.

Privacy Policy
Comments
Comments and other content submitted to our Akismet anti-spam service are not saved on our servers unless they were marked as false positives, in which case we store them long enough to use them to improve the service to avoid future false positives.

Aggregated Statistics
Automattic may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to its websites. For instance, Automattic may monitor the most popular blogs on the WordPress.com site or use spam screened by the Akismet service to help identify spam. Automattic may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, Automattic does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below.

Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
Automattic discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Automattic?s behalf or to provide services available at Automattic?s websites, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using Automattic?s websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. Automattic will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, Automattic discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena or court order, or when Automattic believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Automattic, third parties or the public at large.

Askimet is governed under the laws of the state of California, U.S.A. It's mentioned in section 16 of their terms of service.

Terms of Service
16. Miscellaneous.
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between Automattic and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Automattic, or by the posting by Automattic of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, these Terms and Conditions, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in San Francisco County, California.

Automattic doesn't have the best privacy policy and some additional details about data retention would certainly be helpful, but that's a complaint that I'd level at the 'industry' as a whole.
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Jan 17 2011 8:24pm

Ahhh! I actually read all that looking for anything specific regarding the service, but was kinda confused since it's the privacy policy for all their websites and it's not even hosted on the same domain.

The fact they're based in California is a pretty good thing for privacy. The data protection laws are a huge leap ahead of most other states. Considering California is the heart of the computer industry, that doesn't come as a big surprise. :) They're still not quite as good as the UK though. Just a shame UK companies don't follow them that stringently (in my experience). :(

Kaihaku @ Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:17 pm) wrote:Automattic doesn't have the best privacy policy and some additional details about data retention would certainly be helpful, but that's a complaint that I'd level at the 'industry' as a whole.

God I know what you mean. The best you usually get is "we will/will not share your data with third parties" and even then that gets distorted with snippets like:
...and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Automattic?s behalf or to provide services available at Automattic?s websites, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others.

That makes it so ambiguous as to be useless. And *everyone* puts stuff like this in their privacy statements.

What exactly is an affiliated organisation in this context? Are they beholden to as strict data protection laws as you are? Are some of them using it for advertising information, but only for adverts on your sites? Can they "anonymise" and aggregate your information and sell it on as marketing data? ...ad infinitum. :(

Anyway getting off topic here, since it's kind of not a go-er. Just needed to rage against this irritant. ;)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Patrel Rushlock » Mon Jan 17 2011 11:46pm

Aye the background being white as it is here could just be a personal preference, but I saw no way to edit it in the options. I also spend alot of time on E-Bay and it's mass of white space so I may be biased :)
"It's Beer-o-clock, where the hell's my riot?!?! " - John Crichton
"Reality provides opportunity John." - Scorpious

Tuck's Character Sheet
"It's Beer-o-clock, where the hell's my riot?!?! " - John Crichton
"Reality provides opportunity John." - Scorpious

Tuck's Character Sheet
Patrel Rushlock

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Jan 26 2011 2:33pm

Avatar reservations looks to be working without issue. God, that has been such a bastard to code in phpBB. :damnit:

If someone with an account <6 months old can test out that it doesn't let you reserve an avatar, that would be grand, ta. :)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Wed Jan 26 2011 3:23pm

I just realised I told BoneIdol 6 months when actually it's 3 months. Oops >.<;; hopefully that won't be too difficult to change.

I have already pointed out to him a slight oversight which he's going to fix up when he gets the time. At present it's set so that if you change your avatar while you have a reserved avie, you lose your reservation. I've asked him if it could please work like it does here instead. So, no need to point that out to him if you're testing it out :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Jan 26 2011 4:59pm

After much fannying about and (near constant) swearing, the avatar reservations work the same as on these forums. The grace period for reservations is down to 3 months as well.

I'm currently testing out the avatar reservation system as thoroughly as possible and making sure that the many, many code paths all work correctly (phpBB's avatar code is friggin' spaghetti :(). I'll make it look a bit nicer when I'm done. I'd be ever so grateful if you lot let me know about any bugs you encounter. :)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Wed Jan 26 2011 7:13pm

Seems to be working fine so far, but will try to break it for you over the next day :)
Cheers for all your efforts mate!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Moogie » Fri Jan 28 2011 7:04pm

Announcement!!

Looks like we're about ready to switch over to the new forums, just a couple of final scripts to be written to help port the data over nicely and then we're done.

Could everyone please go and have a play on the test forums:
http://phpbbtest.shiningforcecentral.com/index.php
and point out anything which is wrong/broken/bad etc which needs sorting before we move?

Note: I will be copying over all the latest posts, member accounts etc - nothing should be lost. The posts on the test forums are of course a bit out of date now, but fine for testing before I put the real stuff in place :)

Big thanks to BoneIdol for all his help with coding & props to Kaihaku for his phpBB advice & skills.

The topic icons may yet change, as may the little post icons - but I just want to get things up and running now so I can focus on the site rebuild!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jan 28 2011 7:13pm

Hell yeah.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Fri Jan 28 2011 7:15pm

Hell yeah :D Goodbye pink and green ;)

Quick question, will you be changing the graphics next to topic names (the scrolling page)? I don't much care for it >.>

Also, the little design that runs into the banners looks okay on some but really screws up the look of some others (but I do like having it in the bottom-left corner)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Fri Jan 28 2011 7:21pm

Will probably change the icons at some point, but for now they'll do. I'm not to fussed on the animated ones either - maybe I'll change those ones tomorrow morning to something a bit less annoying but still in keeping with the current icons.

I thought the swirls looked alright on all the banners, but I should go through them all again and check. Are there any in particular you think look bad?
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter