Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Hiroyuki Takahashi interviewed in games™

Behind The Scenes of Shining Force

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Hiroyuki Takahashi interviewed in games?

Postby Ashley » Thu Nov 26 2009 8:16pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to get this interview sorted for years and it has finally happened. The latest issue of games? has a six page interview with Camelot's Hiroyuki Takahashi about the entire Shining Force series from one to three, including the Game Gear games and even some of the other Shining titles too.

If you live in the UK then the magazine (issue 90) can be found at most newsagents. Everyone else, you can order it here.

EDIT: The feature is now available to read online, here.

If you happen to read the feature then please tell me what you think. I'm really excited to have finally pulled it off... It's not every day you get to read about the making of the best RPG ever made now is it?
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Hiroyuki Takahashi interviewed in games?

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Nov 26 2009 10:05pm

I know what I'm picking up to keep me occupied on my train journey tomorrow. ;)
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby T300 » Thu Nov 26 2009 10:06pm

Indeed. Fantastic!
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby Cullsoft » Sat Nov 28 2009 10:50am

Got it, gave it a read on the train trip home. I liked it. :)

It was interesting to hear just how bitter Hiroyuki feels in terms of Sega, and just how far back it goes (i.e. it wasn't just SF3's release issues that caused trouble), as well as where his influences for creating the series came from; I was a little surprised to hear about how the battle system was such a big drive behind what he wanted and story was somewhat secondary. His final thoughts at the end of the article when discussing the future of the series bring a sense of sadness over whether it will ever return to glory.

If I were to make a correction, it's in the talk about SF3's storyline - where it says "...but radiclly allowed you to play from the perspective of 'evil' on its second disc...", it doesn't feel right to call Medion's team 'evil'; I'd have used something like "...play from the perspective of the first disc's bad guys/opponents on the second disc..." instead.

Not directly related to the article, but my initial thought was "you got to have an interview with Hiroyuki Takahashi? I stood outside the building with Camelot's offices with Aspartate and a couple of her friends for over an hour in the pouring rain while desperately needing the loo, all of us hoping to catch someone who worked for them so they could let us visit and got nothing! Ye bast'd!" ;)
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 28 2009 3:54pm

Hot damn I'm going to have to pick this up!
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas' character sheet
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas' character sheet
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Sat Nov 28 2009 6:16pm

Nice one mate, with all the hecticness of moving I'd forgotten this was coming! Hope the scan was good enough for your guys :)

Being rather skint, can I ask if there's a gratis copy floating around the office? ;) If so, gimme a shout and I'll send you my new address. Would be happy to promote the issue on the SFC main news along with a link to where it can be ordered. Understand if there are no spares kicking about - can always ask for it as a Christmas pressie, lol.

Can't wait to read it!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby T300 » Sat Nov 28 2009 7:41pm

Just ordered this
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Sat Nov 28 2009 10:09pm

THEY DON'T ACCEPT PAYPAL!?

I'M SCREWED!
The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

http://www.thehungersite.com <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

DragonmasterDon: Have you heard the story of theunknownmarine?
I thought not.
It's not a story people in Mature Discussion would tell you.
The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

http://www.thehungersite.com <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

DragonmasterDon: Have you heard the story of theunknownmarine?
I thought not.
It's not a story people in Mature Discussion would tell you.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 29 2009 10:16pm

Cully - I think the word 'antagonist' was used originally but was changed to save space. I decided to go with evil in inverted commas to indicate that they were only apparently evil from the perspective of the 'good' guys. Hope that makes sense.

Moogie - I've been trying to find you a copy but we don't have any spares. I WILL manage to get you one somehow, though, since you did really help me out with the art. PM me your address and I'll get an issue to you asap.

UnknownMarine - PayPal support is coming to the eshop next year. If you'd like it sooner than that then you might be able to find a used copy on eBay.

Ash
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Dec 01 2009 3:42am

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 am) wrote: If I were to make a correction, it's in the talk about SF3's storyline - where it says "...but radiclly allowed you to play from the perspective of 'evil' on its second disc...", it doesn't feel right to call Medion's team 'evil'; I'd have used something like "...play from the perspective of the first disc's bad guys/opponents on the second disc..." instead.

Actually, while I can't seem to find it right now, there's an interview from a couple years back where Camelot themselves basically describe it as "In the first scenario you play the good guys, then in the second scenario you play as the bad guys." They were discussing Golden Sun, and referred back to SF3 in order to explain how that mechanic originated. Can't remember for sure which members of Camelot were being interviewed, but I think it was one or both of the Takahashi brothers.

I'll have to try and get my hands on this mag... Though if they don't take Paypal, I may be as screwed as Marine.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby T300 » Tue Dec 01 2009 12:08pm

When does this get released? I'm still waiting for it to be shipped out :)
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby Flaming Manakin » Tue Dec 01 2009 2:08pm

Well, I brought it and read it. Certainly interesting, but the overiding theme is one of a continually strained relationship which ended in disasterous cut-off when the Dreamcast was released and Camelot were seemingly disgarded. Seems as though the tensions started pretty much after SF1 really, and the making of SF2 was also frought with difficulty.

I found the mention of the 1988 PC strategy game Silver Ghost as a major influence on the concept of SF a very interesting point, not one I'd heard before.

It does seem impossible, though, reading this, that Sega and Camelot could ever combine to produce any further titles, least of all another Shining Force.

He did very much come across as an artist who loved making games than a businessman, but then I think we all realised this anyway...
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby S3M » Sat Dec 05 2009 12:03am

Very good article Ash well done, big improvement over previous features.

Only issue I had with the feature was the one Cull raised as Medion isn't "Evil" and a friend to Synbios by the end of the game. It should have more said about seen the perspective from another side as neither the Republic or Empire is good or evil there just two different fractions fighting over a country. The true Evil in SF3 is that of Bulzome and his minions.

It also felt more like a Camelot Shining series interview rather than just SF, so it would have been nice to see pictures from Darkness, Wisdom and Ark.

The piece cleared up a few shining myths as well. I did try to find some more information on Sliver Ghost to see what it was like but alas the internet can be rubbish at time for information.

Like the Tombi feature as well, need to track down both games on PS1. By the way glad you liked my Christmas Nights story, but alas I won’t be able to provide a picture one of the reasons is work as they could be a bit strange about it.

S3M
Let's Keep the Light Shining FOREVER.
S3M's RPG World
My unfinished guide to Shining Force III
S3M's RPG World
S3M

Postby Cullsoft » Sat Dec 05 2009 1:59am

S3M @ Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:03 pm) wrote: It also felt more like a Camelot Shining series interview rather than just SF, so it would have been nice to see pictures from Darkness, Wisdom and Ark.

Whilst their weren't pictures, I found the box-section regarding the dungeon crawlers very enlightening, and it was interesting to read that the motivation behind using that style was to create the feeling of seeing through the character's eyes and "being there".
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby T300 » Sat Dec 05 2009 8:26pm

10/10 - thanks Ashley!
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby S3M » Sat Dec 05 2009 10:03pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:59 am) wrote: Whilst their weren't pictures, I found the box-section regarding the dungeon crawlers very enlightening, and it was interesting to read that the motivation behind using that style was to create the feeling of seeing through the character's eyes and "being there".

Agreed Cull I was also interested in what he said about Wisdom and the story narrative. He seems like a man who likes to challenge himself when making games, unlike many of the game designers these days.
S3M's RPG World
S3M's RPG World
S3M

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 06 2009 9:57pm

S3M @ Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 am) wrote: Very good article Ash well done, big improvement over previous features.

Only issue I had with the feature was the one Cull raised as Medion isn't "Evil" and a friend to Synbios by the end of the game. It should have more said about seen the perspective from another side as neither the Republic or Empire is good or evil there just two different fractions fighting over a country. The true Evil in SF3 is that of Bulzome and his minions.

It also felt more like a Camelot Shining series interview rather than just SF, so it would have been nice to see pictures from Darkness, Wisdom and Ark.

The piece cleared up a few shining myths as well. I did try to find some more information on Sliver Ghost to see what it was like but alas the internet can be rubbish at time for information.

Like the Tombi feature as well, need to track down both games on PS1. By the way glad you liked my Christmas Nights story, but alas I won?t be able to provide a picture one of the reasons is work as they could be a bit strange about it.

S3M

Thanks for the feedback, mate.

First of all, I should say that I didn't actually write the feature. It was written by a colleague who lives in Japan and then edited by myself. There was originally no mention of the way the stories interact in ShFIII, so that was something I had to add to the text myself - rather clumsily as it appears.

My only justification for this is that I wanted to convey the uniqueness of ShFIII's story in just a tiny amount of words. Remember that games? has a readership of over 20,000 people, and most of them will have never played a Shining game before. So it's good not to overwhelm them with a lot of confusing details. Referring to the Empire as 'evil' works mostly because that's how they appear in the first episode of the game - which is the only one most casual Shining fans have played.

I realise that you guys know more than the article alludes to, but the text has to appeal to both yourselves and newcomers. And I hope that a lot of the behind the scenes information is what really appeals to you, especially as none of you need to be told about what you've already played and read.

ALSO - Not to worry about Christmas NiGHTS. Someone else was able to step up to the plate and it turned out really well. Look out for that on Christmas Eve.
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby T300 » Wed Dec 09 2009 10:20am

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 am) wrote:
If I were to make a correction, it's in the talk about SF3's storyline - where it says "...but radiclly allowed you to play from the perspective of 'evil' on its second disc...", it doesn't feel right to call Medion's team 'evil'; I'd have used something like "...play from the perspective of the first disc's bad guys/opponents on the second disc..." instead.

I'd be tempted to look at this quote as being more directly referring to Domaric and Fideric, rather than Medion and his army.
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby D0R0THYMANT00TH » Sat Dec 12 2009 6:27am

How long will this be available online? My wife said I can't spend any more money on non-Christmas items until after Christmas. How unreasonable. :(
I don't mean to brag or make anyone feel inferior in any way but that is my nitche; and when I say nitche I mean nitche

Social Networking I do it, do you?
I don't mean to brag or make anyone feel inferior in any way but that is my nitche; and when I say nitche I mean nitche

Social Networking I do it, do you?
D0R0THYMANT00TH

Diet Poison
Shining Legend

Next

Return to All Things Shining