Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scrambled Force II Hack

Happy Halloween!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Scrambled Force II Hack

Postby BigNailCow » Sat Oct 31 2009 2:12am

Happy Halloween! The purpose of this hack is to create a sort of bizarro SF2 world for you to play through! However, it's not really complete, but enough is different so that your battle experience should be unique. I wanted to do more, but I'm still fairly ill, and it's Halloween now, so...

SF2 Scramble Hack/Randomizer Tool
(Contents: sf2_scramble.ips, sf2_scramble.exe, sf2_scramble.txt, python26.dll)
(python26.dll is needed to run sf2_scramble.exe, which is a script I wrote in python)

Instructions:
1. Apply the sf2_scramble.ips patch to a 4mb expanded SF2 ROM and rename that to sf2_scramble.bin.
2. Run sf2_scramble.exe. This will only work if you renamed the ROM to sf2_scramble.bin!
3. This will create an sf2_scramble.bin.out. This is a ROM file. This is what you want to play in the emulator.

This is still *relatively* untested/unpolished. Please don't complain or be disappointed if something doesn't work perfectly. Enjoy it as a simple Halloween gift. I might add more to it later if there's interest.

(NOTE: If some aspect of the randomization isn't to your liking (such as the colors or music are too horrendous), you can simply run the exe again to regenerate everything.)

(NOTE 2: The default sf2_scramble.bin is unsuitable for playing in that Bowie starts with 2 MP and thus can't egress, but I'm too lazy to fix it. I suppose you COULD play it like that, but have a little fun!)

The .out file will have the following changes:

Features:
- Character names have been randomized a bit. Hello, BLOWIE!
- Palettes have been randomized a bit, making everything look freakish! Perfect for Halloween.
- All force members have been given random stat progressions and spell progression! This isn't perfect, as you might start having no character with a heal ability! Don't worry, one will come -- I made sure that all spells are represented by at least a few characters.
- All force members are available from the start, and the Caravan is too. Use it to place your desired members into your party before the first battle, and add new ones as slots become available.
- The instruments' properties are randomized, and certain channels in the music are muted to make things a bit... eerier. Unmute your emulator!
- Changes to the member status window to show character resistances.
- Contains the 3-digit fix.

Bugs:
- The randomization is a bit spotty. I only took minor efforts to make sure things are balanced. To counteract this, I increased the experience gained if you're low-level and hitting the enemy, so you can easily catch up other force members.
- Because certain battles are meant to be replayed later on the overworld, they have 12 member slots, so it's possible to, say, have 12 level 1 members in the 3rd battle. I don't really care! Cheat if you want, or just egress and remove all but the correct number of members.
- Sometimes if you buy a weapon, it'll show the incorrect adjusted ATT value when you're deciding who to give it to. For example, buying birdmen a Short Sword will show the same ATT as with a Wooden Sword. No idea why. The value itself will be right when you equip it, so don't pay attention to it.
- Lemon will promote to a BRN, not a RDBN.
- Battle palettes aren't changed, I simply ran out of time (and steam). Some battle sprite palettes will look weird because it's using garbage data (Rohde as an ACHR for example).
- Various cutscene abnormalities caused by having the Caravan follow you all the time. Merely cosmetic, as far as I know, so it doesn't matter too much!
- There could be more!
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Scrambled Force II Hack

Postby xxdayoffatexx » Sat Oct 31 2009 2:16am

:shock: my head hurts from 1's and 2's and watching people level over and over
Xaeius of #sf2hack
Graphic Designer for #sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org
Xaeius of #sf2hack
Graphic Designer for #sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org
xxdayoffatexx

Postby ehow22 » Sat Oct 31 2009 2:42am

BNC has done it again lol.

I'm still laughing from the Shimmying Force thing from last Christmas.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Sat Oct 31 2009 6:26am

Sounds like fun.

Hope you feel better soon.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wiz » Sat Oct 31 2009 11:36am

I'm in love with the way music is scrambled. So creepy ! :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Shining_Sol » Sun Nov 01 2009 3:46am

So BNC, your pretty much my hero.

Are you Superman?
Solby @ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am wrote:Red Baron pizzas have a picture of a plane on them. That's kind of like flying junk food.
Solby @ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am wrote:Red Baron pizzas have a picture of a plane on them. That's kind of like flying junk food.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShiningForceHero » Sun Nov 01 2009 4:23am

Hey so any advice on getting this to work right? I took a SF2 Rom, opened it with Caravan to expand it, applied the patch, and ran the .exe. It tells me it can't locate it, so I never get the .out.

EDIT: nm, I got it working :)

Postby Flygon » Sun Nov 01 2009 4:38am

Did you call the patched ROM sf2_scramble.bin?
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Postby Shining_Sol » Sun Nov 01 2009 9:32am

So I'm not sure what's the deal, but when I try to go into Ribble the screen scrolls to the right and all I can do is hit the ABC buttons. The arrows don't work and I can't leave the town. Worst case scenario is I'll edit in the Achilles Sword and then I won't have to worry about going there. If I'm the only one having problems with this then just ignore me. :) :) :)

Edit: The same thing happens in Hassan. It's late so sleepy time now but when I get up later I'll just level up to promote then skip the whole Taros section. I checked the shrine of Taros and his sprite is gibbled.

Also my Tyrin gained level 2 Atlas at level 11. It was quite awesome.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Mon Nov 02 2009 2:04am

I've only played the first few battles but Bowie has leveled like 4 times and not gained anything!! lmao...He started out with 2MP for me.. Oh well, besides the missing stat gains I'm finding it enjoyable. I like how the battle sprites for the characters who join promoted turned out lol.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 2:45am

ehow22 @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm) wrote: I've only played the first few battles but Bowie has leveled like 4 times and not gained anything!! lmao...He started out with 2MP for me.. Oh well, besides the missing stat gains I'm finding it enjoyable. I like how the battle sprites for the characters who join promoted turned out lol.

You didn't read the instructions, did you?

If Bowie started with 2 MP, you didn't read the instructions.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Mon Nov 02 2009 2:55am

I'm pretty sure I did, I might have just skimmed them since I was pretty tired at the time but yeah I most likely screwed up somewhere.

EDIT- Ok yeah, I figured out what happened....my mistake. I read them I just ddn't follow them completely.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:04am

How do you apply the isp patch?
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Shining_Sol » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:11am

Dark Link @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm) wrote: How do you apply the isp patch?

You need some kind of patching program. IPSwin and Lunar IPS both work. Google them.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:11am

I'm surprised you haven't applied one before, given all the random hacks we've released around here.

Download Lunar IPS. You can then either run it or, the easier and better way is to double-click the IPS file, and when Windows asks you what you want to do with it, browse and find the Lunar IPS exe so it will auto-associate. Then any time you download an IPS you can simply double-click on it, browse to the ROM file, and voila.

Edit: I'll look into that bug tomorrow, Shining_Sol. This hack uses some various tiny hacks from all kinds of tinkering I've done over the years, so it's not surprising it's broken.

Also, my fragile ego is a bit bruised that no one else has tried this. :(
I made it for you all. :(
For halloween. :(
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:15am

Thanks. I look forward to having fun with the hack. :D
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zoidberg » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:15am

this is on my to-do this BNC have no worries because I'm sure it's on many's to-do list. I just don't have the time to start another playthrough at the moment. But I definitely plan to try this along with any other hack you release ;)
Shining Force, Forever.

A boy awakes a quilt asunder
The night before arose the thunder
Called upon this frightful mission
For once told; a witch's vision
Brood upon this witch's brew
Now he's man, not boy, but hero...
Shining Force, Forever.

A boy awakes a quilt asunder
The night before arose the thunder
Called upon this frightful mission
For once told; a witch's vision
Brood upon this witch's brew
Now he's man, not boy, but hero...
Zoidberg

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Shining_Sol » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:28am

I'm going to patch another rom and give that a go. Maybe something screwed up with it so it might just be me.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:29am

Hmm, I applied the IPS patch, renamed it sf2_scramble.bin, but it still says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sf2_scramble.py", line 44, in <module>
File "shutil.pyo", line 52, in copyfile
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'sf2_scramble.bin'

...well, it actually says check the sf2.scramble.exe log thing when I try to use the application, but that's what the .exe log thing says.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:30am

Yeah that's what I was getting too when I went to try again.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force II