Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Mysterious Buzzer

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Mysterious Buzzer

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Oct 08 2019 4:56am

I didn't ask about this the first time I played through the translation because I wanted to experience it mostly blind, but now that it happened again I have to wonder. Every time I've ever cleared the battle where Spiriel destroys the statue, a buzzer sound plays when the battle ends. Does anybody know what the deal is with that?
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Mysterious Buzzer

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Oct 08 2019 11:52am

Error! Error!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Oct 08 2019 4:28pm

Yeah. That sound. It's something that's confused me for years, especially since I'm vaguely sure it happened the very first time I played Shining Force 3 about 10 years ago as well.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Oct 08 2019 6:22pm

That's how I know I've made a mistake with the game files. Game boots, buzzes, then crashes.

I'm surprised to hear the game continues after buzzing. You shouldn't count on the game being stable after that.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Oct 08 2019 10:42pm

Well it's not like it's a constant buzzing, nor does it sound unnatural. It's just a quick playback of the in-game buzzer sound effect, and happened after defeating Spiriel as if it's supposed to be telling the player that they did something wrong.

If you do think it's because of the patch though (although as I said, it sounds familiar of the first time I played on the normal disc as well years ago, but it's been too long to say for sure), then I'm currently using V18. Since Scenario 1 was already finished by that point, I didn't bother wasting another disc to burn the newest version onto it, since I doubt enough has changed since then to warrant worrying about that.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Oct 09 2019 11:53am

Not about the patch specifically, but about an error. If you are using gameshark codes, that is likely the culprit.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Oct 09 2019 6:45pm

I don't own any cheat devices, so it's certainly not that. I used to have an Action Replay for the Saturn, but that was only for playing burned games on my Saturn using a variation of the swap trick, since the AR I had allowed the console to start-up Japanese games. I've since though gotten a different device that allows the console to both read burned discs, and act as a memory card so I can run the games without modding the console, nor have to swap the AR for a memory card like I used to. That can't be the cause though because I didn't have that device last time, and the buzzer was consistent to previously. I assumed it had something to do with the battle itself, and perhaps doing a certain something or ending it in a certain way is either favorable or not, because of that consistency.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Oct 10 2019 12:10pm

That would seem to be the case then. Playing on Saturn hardware with no cheats...

Or it could be a Saturn malfunction... probably a disc reading error. Try with a different disc, esp the original, but otherwise with the same device plugged in. This would also test if it was something with the patch.

If it still does it, test without the device on the original disc. I don't suppose you have another Saturn...

That will paint the picture.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Oct 10 2019 5:22pm

Unfortunately, it would be a lot of trouble getting back there from the beginning, and I do indeed only have one Saturn. It hasn't been modded or anything though, since I've always used other means of getting the burned Shining Force discs to run on it (currently I'm using a cartridge that runs Pseudo Saturn for reading the games, while also doubling as a fully functional memory card). Maybe it is something with the disc, I don't know.

I just posted because I thought it was something that was supposed to happen if you did something wrong, and maybe if you did things differently you'd get a chime, and perhaps some sort of reward, or simply something like different lines of dialogue. In other words, I thought it was scripted into the game, and was just wondering what, if anything significant, it impacted. If I can find the time though, I can try hurrying back to that point of the game on the real disc, and see what happens.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Oct 11 2019 11:50am

If you can get a save in a spot just before it happens. That should be good for testing. You don't need to play all the way through with a certain disc. Just use that disc with the save. In case that was in question.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Oct 11 2019 6:25pm

Oh, no, I'm aware of that. I just meant that I don't have such a save already arranged, so I would have to play through from the beginning to reach that point again before I could start doing any testing at all. I'm not the sort to keep multiple save files in a game. Sometimes I might create a temporary back-up save to test something real quick, but those are usually promptly deleted, or in this case saved directly to the console which currently doesn't have a live battery.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force III