Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

RIP

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

RIP

Postby DVthemaster » Tue Jun 11 2019 10:41pm

So I'm playing through Shining Force 2, like any sane man, and I'm currently playing on the Sega Genesis Classics Collection on the Switch. See this collection is very helpful in the sense that as someone who's played through both Shining Force 1 and 2 multiple times, I can easily speed up the battles and make the game a faster experience. But there's one main problem with this speed up feature. So I just grinded my whole party so that I can promote them and as I'm pretty much promoting my whole party I'm speeding the game up for obvious reasons. But the main problem is that I didn't notice who I promoted. By accident I promoted Sarah into a Vicar instead of a Master Monk. I saved directly after so I couldn't try and re promote her. To anyone out there who likes Sarah as a Vicar, good for you. But for me personally, I literally don't want her at all if she's not a Master Monk. So that sucks, and that's the main thing I wanted to rant about. RIP Master Monk Sarah :(
:thumbsup:
DVthemaster

Re: RIP

Postby Guy Jepson » Wed Jun 12 2019 1:48am

DVthemaster,

Sarah is much, much better as VICR class! This is a pet-peve of mine that I'm trying to champion. Everywhere I go online I see everyone raving about how great Master Monks are when they're not all that great compared to Vicars. When you get Sarah to about level 20 you should be near the Shield Ring battle. You defeat the enemy carrying it while you have no item slots to receive it and let it go to the deals section at any merchant. BAM!! now you can buy a Goddess Staff!! probably the best staff for Vicars. You give it to Sarah to equip and now she has AURA2 on a stick right before the Chess Battle! Giving here aura two makes her a much better healer and defiantly the best healer at this junction in the game. AURA2 allows Sarah to milk 37 experience every turn letting her level up just like any of the other healers. While you at it give her the Shield Ring too so she can round out here spell inventory with a nice BOOST1. "But what about Vicars low attack, Mr. Jepson??" Okay, but what about Vicars much higher defense? Still don't like it? Equip her with the Demon Rod and the Evil Ring and she can hit as hard as any Master Monk guaranteed while throwing around some BOLT2s for good measure!
Guy Jepson

Postby DVthemaster » Wed Jun 12 2019 2:01am

@Guy Jepson Yes I fully agree with what you said, but to be blatant. Master Monks are just kinda a cooler class.
DVthemaster

Postby Guy Jepson » Wed Jun 12 2019 4:37am

Can't argue with that. MMNK is a way cooler class than VICR. I always forget that the EU/USA version throw in an extra Vigor Ball for some odd reason. Makes me want to mod my game to either remove the extra Vigor Ball or hide around extra promotion items for each class.
Guy Jepson

Postby Kilieni » Thu Jun 13 2019 1:43pm

Considering the original vigor ball is in Sheela's Dojo, I definitely appreciate the extra one. :) That said I'm team Karna VICR. 2-3 MP most levels really adds up with Karna leveling. That's only when I use her though. I also quite enjoy Tyrin Freeze 4ing the entire endgame and also using Eric as a PGNT and calling him "Air Rick"
Kilieni

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Jun 19 2019 2:29am

Guy Jepson wrote:DVthemaster,

Sarah is much, much better as VICR class! This is a pet-peve of mine that I'm trying to champion. Everywhere I go online I see everyone raving about how great Master Monks are when they're not all that great compared to Vicars. When you get Sarah to about level 20 you should be near the Shield Ring battle. You defeat the enemy carrying it while you have no item slots to receive it and let it go to the deals section at any merchant. BAM!! now you can buy a Goddess Staff!! probably the best staff for Vicars. You give it to Sarah to equip and now she has AURA2 on a stick right before the Chess Battle! Giving here aura two makes her a much better healer and defiantly the best healer at this junction in the game. AURA2 allows Sarah to milk 37 experience every turn letting her level up just like any of the other healers. While you at it give her the Shield Ring too so she can round out here spell inventory with a nice BOOST1. "But what about Vicars low attack, Mr. Jepson??" Okay, but what about Vicars much higher defense? Still don't like it? Equip her with the Demon Rod and the Evil Ring and she can hit as hard as any Master Monk guaranteed while throwing around some BOLT2s for good measure!

I've never really been a fan of Master Monks, either. Sure, the extra attack power is nice, but considering I never attack with healers anyway except at the very beginning for EXP so everybody can promote at about the same time, that bonus winds up just going to waste when I play.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Perpoose » Thu Aug 22 2019 2:17pm

The problem I have with VICRs is that they are UGLY in SF2. They look like they're in some sort of weird pseudo-religious wedding dress. I would rather not turn Sarah and Sheela into MMNK to take advantage of those items, but they look so much better as MMNKs.
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Fri Aug 23 2019 10:24pm

I only ever promote to MMNK.

Even Frayja if using the Milestone Edition/12-Man Marathon.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Sep 20 2019 5:50am

MXC wrote:Same. I rely so heavily on Healing Drops that I don't even mind the low MP on the MMNKs.

I've always felt the game needed a more powerful healing item that can be purchased. In fact, the lack of one eventually conditioned me to never buy healing items at all. I don't sell them, but once I've used those you find in chests and enemy drops, then that's it for me.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Sep 20 2019 5:32pm

Growing up, I always got by with just having two healers in my party at all times in both Genesis titles (except of course when not available, which was usually most of SF2 since I rarely grab Karna to this day). That way I had plenty of MP, could more easily split up my party without one group being deprived of healing, and have a back-up healer should one be defeated. In recent years though, I've started mostly using only one healer instead to make it a little bit tougher, but even then I still don't tend to purchase items unless doing some kind of challenge run.

As a kid (which is when the core of my play style was developed) I just felt like healing items tend to become kind of pointless in RPGs when you reach a stage where the enemies are hitting harder than what the items restore, which becomes the case in every Shining Force game eventually. Not to mention that when I was younger, I tended to lose a good chunk of my force every battle, and would occasionally even lose Max/Bowie, so I preferred saving my money for weapons and ring repairs instead of items. Nowadays, even though I can better recognize the usefulness of having items on everybody, I'm so accustom to going without that I just don't bother.

Also, EXP gain has always been a contributing factor to how I play the games, and so even when using healing items I hated doing so with anybody that wasn't a healer, otherwise I felt like I was stealing EXP from my healers with fighters who could gain superior EXP from just fighting.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force II