Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Possible Determining Factor in Mithril Weapons

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Possible Determining Factor in Mithril Weapons

Postby Hideaki » Sun Dec 16 2018 5:59pm

I never used to have problems getting the weapons I wanted for each character. I would just change things up a bit, and a different weapon would be offered.

Now, using an emulator where I can't use the game's internal save feature, the choice of weapons is limited to two per fighting type, no matter what factors I change up. So I suspect that the *save place* plays a role in what weapons are offered.

Could anyone offer any experiences that would show this isn't the case? Or some to substantiate it?
Hideaki

Re: Possible Determining Factor in Mithril Weapons

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Mon Dec 17 2018 8:32am

I thought it was down to steps? i've done some testing with save states and would change the number of steps taken before talking to the blacksmith until i go the desired result.
Jonesy_Pants

Postby Kilieni » Mon Dec 17 2018 3:15pm

Taking steps doesn't alter the RNG. According to DarkKobold's TAS notes "The RNG of SF2 is a 16-bit sequential loop. It can only change for one of three conditions: A call for a random value, a text box pause, or sitting in a menu." http://tasvideos.org/2566S.html

Basically you should be able to alter your RNG just by waiting on the text box while the Dwarf Blacksmith is talking to you. Every frame you sit there the RNG advances. Also the moving dwarf on the way to the blacksmith calls a random value when he moves to determine direction. And of course if you just open the menu with A or C. Every frame you sit there advances RNG too.
Kilieni

Postby Hideaki » Wed Dec 26 2018 2:53pm

Interesting. So at what point is a value taken from the moving dwarf? When you enter the room? Leave the room? When you're taking to the blacksmith dwarf and can't even see the moving dwarf?

Any of my tests so far since reading this post to try to change the RNG so I get weapons I have been completely unsuccessful.
Hideaki

Postby Kilieni » Thu Dec 27 2018 10:04am

Whenever a moving character is loaded, and certainly when they're on screen, the game will call a random value just before they move to determine direction. Every time it does this, the RNG advances.
Kilieni

Postby Tamerlane » Fri Jun 07 2019 7:50pm

So, all I have left to get is the Mystery Staffs for Kazin & Karna, but it's been the devil with 4 pieces! I rarely get just one staff after 30 attempts. So, I am going to split the effort into 2 parts, sadly.

To reset my odds, should I go out of the village, then re-enter, and re-save so as to re-prompt the probabilities?

Would this help?

Note: Getting 4 Supply Staffs is driving me up a wall, and feeling like a clueless amateur in spite of having played this game some 40x since 1996 or so!! :shock:
Tamerlane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby CirrusAF » Sat Jun 08 2019 4:16am

its easy to get Mystery Staffs just follow this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44311
:thumbsup:
CirrusAF

Postby Tamerlane » Sun Jun 09 2019 1:50am

CirrusAF wrote:its easy to get Mystery Staffs just follow this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44311
:thumbsup:

Thank you!

Will be mindful of this technique next go round as I had an old fave on the first save slot from 2013. But, I did leave the village, re-enter and re-save, and I got TWO Mystery Staffs with four mithril ON THE FIRST GO!! Wish I’d thought of getting out of the probability rut prior to wasting 3 hours getting endless Supply Staffs and Great Rods with the occassional Freeze Staff!!

Much thanks again for your efforts at unraveling all those complex probabilities! Very fascinating!!
Tamerlane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II