SFIII Translation Project: Galm's Red Text Decision

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

What colour do you prefer for Galm's dialog text?

Keep as Red
32%
Change back to White
68%

Total votes: 19

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Galm's Red Text Decision

Post by legalize freedom »

Continuing the discussion from the Galm's Red Text thread, let's figure out if we want to keep it or not.

Here is the latest LP that is a good representation of the red text and how it looks (at least with the default window colour).
https://youtu.be/0_KeWDpfzTg?t=36m10s

Should we keep the red text or change it back to white? I would offer more options, but the other available colours don't show up well with all possible backgrounds, so it should probably be either red or white.

I'll let this run for 4 months, which is the time I would need to know to make the possible change for V20.

Thanks for your input!
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Galm's Red Text Decision

Post by Pappets »

Isn't this idea a little off track? What I mean is that it goes beyond the translation. But yes, it looks nice.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

That's the first time I've seen it, but I like it. I think it should look different than everyone else's.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Regardless of the outcome, I definitely have to respect your care to make sure the color works no matter the background.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Despite the fact that it was I who initially started the discussion, saying that I wasn’t a huge fan of the red text, I have decided to vote in favour of keeping the red text.

When I first witnesed the new colour, it was on a very light blue background with 0 transparency. I think this made it look more blurry than it would with the default settings. Having Galm use a different colour to everyone else certainly adds to his character and further increases his cool factor. LF has ensured me that, out of all the possible colours, red seems to be the best looking choice and I believe him. Also red is a nice choice, given Galm’s powerful, evil aura.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Still do not like it. I can see changing the text to a dark gray when his face is not present to give the text a better tone, but once he is established, it should go back to white. Also, Galm is not evil, and to reflect as such only goes against what Galm truly stands for.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I think it's less about making him seem evil, and more about making him stand out as significant, which the game already does naturally with the rainbow text used for his name; this sounds like it's just simply expanding on that. The specific color choice sounds like it was nothing more than a coincidence of circumstance.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737

Post by betterinthepast »

Ahh, please don't experiment with this, the best interaction in the game.

One of the reasons Galm is my favourite character is he is such an enigma, and his motivations unknown. Largely the shadowy figure in the background, pulling strings. Red text is like having a big neon arrow pointing at him. The mystique is gone. Is it necessary? In fact, I even think the flashing name alone was overkill. When Galm shows up, the screen darkens, and he has his own unique, awesome theme tune. And all the Bulzome priests shit their pants. I think all of this is enough of a signal that this character is important (not to mention the fact that Julian doesn't shut up about him).

It's also kind of a spoiler, because when you see the first line of red text you instantly know it's Galm, rather than the slow build up and payoff when he finally materialises.

Besides this though, if the text is not red in the original Japanese, and if the Japanese language itself does not have some important flavour which cannot be translated into English without changing the font colour, then is this change in the spirit of how the original story writers intended this interaction to unfold? I guess I agree with Pappets here in that this seems like a fundamental change to the narrative direction of this scene, as opposed to being a translation.

By the way, long-term fan of SF3 since release. I played the other scenarios with printed scripts years back, and this is my first go with the patches. Would like to applaud all the work of the translation team for making this possible. During my playthroughs if I happen to note any bugs or weirdness it'd be an honour to point it out and make the smallest of contributions!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Thank you for explaining this so clearly. I'm warm to this argument. I've certainly come to understand that those who like the red text could live peacefully without it while those that don't like it tend to see it as a travesty. :) That would definitely come into play if the vote were to remain close.

In the English release of Sc1, Galm's initial line of text is light grey, so that's probably what got the wheels turning initially. Grey is used in the rest of the game to indicate whispering, so this instance was out of place. It's difficult to guess exactly what they had in mind with this.

Anyone who has not voted, please do so.

Thank you for the kind words and yes, please report any errors you find. That would be most appreciated!
mr2dax

Post by mr2dax »

In the very beginning of sc 2 there is a woman in the Imperial District who blushes when Medion talks to her.
I remember a part of the text saying ポッ in red (~blush).
I think red is more for emotional representation in these texts. Voted for white.
Nuburan
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nuburan »

Voted for white, for two reasons. First, I think the red causes the pixel limitations of the typeface to stand out. Does it have the same anti-aliasing? Second, I have minor colorblindness, and though the two colors are distinct here, there is some blending along the un-shadowed edges, which slows my reading.

Wait. As I was typing that, I realized that some of the blending is the anti-aliasing. My eye was registering it as blue. Vision is weird. Needless to say, my vote remains for white.
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

I'm leaning more towards white personally.

Or at least not that particular shade of red, the contrast between it and the blue can make it a little difficult to read, the letter "Y" for example has far more definition in white than red on the blue background but perhaps another shade or color choice would do better
RetroZanon

Post by RetroZanon »

I am torn on this: on one hand, I really like the red as a way to differentiate Galm from the other characters - much like they did with the Greyish colour for Scenario 1. Conversely, I can see why it might not be a good choice considering, as previously stated, colourblind people might / will struggle with that colour over most backgrounds. This, especially considering the fact that "blue" is the standard, and I don't think many players tweak the colours.

In light of this, reverting to white might be the best course of action.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

Not a fan of the red text for vandal speech. Colored text might be fitting for some characters who start talking off screen up until the point they appear, but that's a different idea. Definitely keep white for everything if it's a problem.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Of the options, I say keep it white. I'd be okay with his text getting some kind of grey, being italicized, or some other style, but as you're working within the bounds of the game and previously established concepts, stay white.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

The red text has been removed for V20. The rainbow name remains for both Galm and Bulzome which should be easy to read and get the point across. Let's see how that looks moving forward.

If you are wondering about Gracia... At the time he is introduced in either Sc2 or Sc3, he is not yet an Innovator, so he doesn't get the rainbow name treatment.

V20 coming soon!