Shining Fanwork: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Chapter 1 now available!

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Morath

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Post by Morath »

Ok, I played beta 1.0.2 to the end of chapter 1; here are some notes:
  • really digging second and third battle musics
  • music looping could be improved
  • the personalities of the different characters are distinct and consistent; well done
  • also love the multi-team battles
  • funny glitch: the archers that accompany you in the fourth fight can move outside of their move outline to end their turn within their move outline
  • "And learned the DETOX spell" line of text was a little too long to fit into the the text box border
  • you got the aliied archers to be able to use items on the force and Ciera able to heal allied archers: cool
  • small quality of life things: when there are simple messages with only one outcome (to move past the message) such as the message "Not enough magic!" the back button could also move past the message and back button could speed text similar to the select button
  • awesome end of chapter 1
Also, a piece of advice for others: I was stupidly running the game from inside the .zip file and was losing my save when relaunching the game (probably it was being saved in some temp folder); if you extract the .zip to somewhere then saves work fine. Overall this was a nice chill way to spend a saturday morning, thank you ChaosWizard98!
Chaoswizard98
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chaoswizard98 »

Morath wrote: music looping could be improved.
Yeah, my version of GameMaker doesn't handle BGM very well. I cant use fade functions on MP3 files which is why you get a hard stop when changing the BGM. You did specifically mention looping though, which I have not noticed any issues with myself. If this is the case, I wonder if GM handles sound differently on different computers.
Morath wrote: The personalities of the different characters are distinct and consistent; well done.
Keeping the characters unique is definitely something that I'm trying to do. Hopefully I don't run out of ideas before I'm done lol.
Morath wrote: funny glitch: the archers that accompany you in the fourth fight can move outside of their move outline to end their turn within their move outline
o.O I thought I fixed that issue ages ago... The definitely SHOULDNT be doing this. I'll take a look at it lol. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:
Morath wrote: "And learned the DETOX spell" line of text was a little too long to fit into the the text box border
I probably forgot to throw it in the word wrap function first. I'll get that fixed. :thumbsup:
Morath wrote:you got the aliied archers to be able to use items on the force and Ciera able to heal allied archers: cool
Oh yeah, I added support for multiple factions. Each faction has its own unique relationship with the other factions, meaning you can also create 1 sided relationships. Battle 4 contains 5 unique factions (Player, Hunters, Monsters, Wolves, Gerbits). You'll notice that the wolves will hunt down the Gerbits, but the snakes and bats will ignore them completely. The hunters consider you allies and the monsters and wolves their enemies, so they will attack members of those factions, and heal themselves and the player.
Morath wrote:small quality of life things: when there are simple messages with only one outcome (to move past the message) such as the message "Not enough magic!" the back button could also move past the message and back button could speed text similar to the select button
Noted. I will get that fixed when I get the chance. :thumbsup:
Morath wrote:awesome end of chapter 1
Heh yeah, that cutscene took ages to make lol. Glad you enjoyed it!
Morath wrote:Also, a piece of advice for others: I was stupidly running the game from inside the .zip file and was losing my save when relaunching the game (probably it was being saved in some temp folder); if you extract the .zip to somewhere then saves work fine.
I'm surprised it actually ran for you while in the zip folder. Normally it tells me to extract it first and refuses to run at all while in the zip folder.
Morath wrote:Overall this was a nice chill way to spend a saturday morning, thank you ChaosWizard98!
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it! I'll see you in chapter 2!
(Unless of course you spend next Saturday trying to beat the 6vs66 challenge battle in the options menu. lol)
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 14&t=26022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alexander_13
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Alexander_13 »

nice hack :thumbsup:
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

Alexander_13 wrote:nice hack :thumbsup:
its not a hack hes made it from the ground upwards :shock:
bum_199
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by bum_199 »

hey i started playing the latest version and its great. im sad to report though i found a bug. after the boat crashed on the new continent i did the next battle and it was fine. the battle after that one had problems though. i dont know what caused it but the screen went completely white after an attack. it didnt freeze. pushing z took me to another white screen almost like it flashed.
Chaoswizard98
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chaoswizard98 »

Yeah, I'm aware of this but I'm not entirely sure what the cause is. It's got something to do with the application surface not being updated and it happens randomly. I'll try purging the surface data occasionally and see if that fixes the issue.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 14&t=26022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedArcher

Post by RedArcher »

Played the last demo yesterday. Really enjoyed it :thumbsup: . Looking forward for more.
ExevaloN
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ExevaloN »

Glad to know this project is still going strong, will have to check the demo out some time.