Shining Force: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v4.0 Released 05/07/22

Updated Character and Weapon sprites

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v1.8 Released 03/29/18

Post by Tyadran »

Kane To The Max wrote: On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty.

Again, if people already know this, I missed it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I figured it out. I'll elaborate more if it isn't common knowledge.
Enemy AI has been well-known for a long time. It was explained in the editor thread.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Developer of The Paladin in Green.
Check me out on Twitch (and YouTube).
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Excellent work Erikin. I very much look forward to the progression of your mod. Glad I downloaded the Playable Kane version when I had the chance.

For my further thoughts, I do like the changes you made to unpromoted Max. I hadn't even noticed but you're right. It totally does look like his naughty bits might get exposed if he fell over lol. That was a good change indeed. And I know I said Gort was about Axes but it would be a shame to change what you've made now. Especially the promoted version. You did a really good job making it.

Post by Kane To The Max »

Tyadran wrote:
Kane To The Max wrote: On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty.

Again, if people already know this, I missed it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I figured it out. I'll elaborate more if it isn't common knowledge.
Enemy AI has been well-known for a long time. It was explained in the editor thread.
Yeah but how in depth? The only thing I read was a vague interpretation. What I found is that a lot of the behaviors if set wrong will contradict based on the AI region settings. Most of these mods I see just have one behavior, with all checked; a bum rush. Mine has AI where enemies move into position then patrol, and charge when in range, a more strategic, aggressive enemy. Looking forward to sharing sometime soon.
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v1.9 Released 04/09/18

Post by Tyadran »

Basically earlier in the behaviors = higher priority. Highest-priority behavior that activates for the currently highest-numbered region occupied by a Force member is the behavior that will be executed.

I've done some more advanced AI stuff in my old Shining Force X mod. You can find the thread for it on here and DL it if you want to check it out. I don't know how well it will open in the editor though, as the version it was built in was over a year old and a lot of the ways things work have been changed.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

Erikin84 wrote:
I am happy to release v1.9 of the Graphic Upgrade mod!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a preview of some of the changes:
image of changes.png
Here is a new preview of the weapons(since there are alot of weapons, might as well give them their own image):
Preview weapon changes.png

Version History
Spoiler
Version 1.9
Added Oath Keeper (Elliot's sword) and Imperial Mace(Ramladu's weapon). These can be dropped and picked up by force members upon defeating these two. They, however have not been playtested.

New weapon sprites for swords/lances/spears/staffs.

Switched Luke and Gort's starting weapons, and map sprites to accommodate.

Changed Mae's battle sprite colors to better match portrait(not as bright)

Added a red fire sprite to be used during the ship scene after the circus battle.

New Maskless Kane sprite is now used.

New Non-scarred Kane sprite for scenes before prompt.

Very nice adds to v1.9! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How do you feel changing Tao's battle sprite clothes to blue?
I think it would match her map sprite better and probably look better with her hair too.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Lobo wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:
I am happy to release v1.9 of the Graphic Upgrade mod!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a preview of some of the changes:
image of changes.png
Here is a new preview of the weapons(since there are alot of weapons, might as well give them their own image):
Preview weapon changes.png

Version History
Spoiler
Version 1.9
Added Oath Keeper (Elliot's sword) and Imperial Mace(Ramladu's weapon). These can be dropped and picked up by force members upon defeating these two. They, however have not been playtested.

New weapon sprites for swords/lances/spears/staffs.

Switched Luke and Gort's starting weapons, and map sprites to accommodate.

Changed Mae's battle sprite colors to better match portrait(not as bright)

Added a red fire sprite to be used during the ship scene after the circus battle.

New Maskless Kane sprite is now used.

New Non-scarred Kane sprite for scenes before prompt.

Very nice adds to v1.9! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How do you feel changing Tao's battle sprite clothes to blue?
I think it would match her map sprite better and probably look better with her hair too.
I’ll look into it. The easier option may be to change the map sprite to match her battle, or vice versa. Since Anri is blue as well(with white cape) maybe she would need a tweak as well.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

By default, there's no purple in force palette for map sprites.
Would have to change it.

Anyway, I think those haired battle sprites for Tao and Anri are a very cool idea. But something bugs me about red-and-purple on Tao's promoted sprite.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Runesamurai wrote:Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?
I don’t think so, as the sword sprite is based off of what he used on his battle sprite when you fought him. I haven’t really played kingdom hearts so if there is a similarity to this and a weapon from that game, it was coincedental .
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?
I don’t think so, as the sword sprite is based off of what he used on his battle sprite when you fought him. I haven’t really played kingdom hearts so if there is a similarity to this and a weapon from that game, it was coincedental .
One of the weapons in Kingdom Hearts is also called Oath Keeper. Only it's spelled Oathkeeper in Kingdom Hearts.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:
One of the weapons in Kingdom Hearts is also called Oath Keeper. Only it's spelled Oathkeeper in Kingdom Hearts.

I see, I named the sword Oath Keeper since it fits his character( being as he knows somethings up with his king, but he’s too loyal to disobey). I added the space in the name because of you spell it out with no space, it cuts off a letter or two while viewing it in your inventory
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

That's cool. Have you considered making Balbazak's weapon too?
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Oh, too bad Tao still missing her elf ear in battle sprite, but that's what happened when 3 different race characters using the same sprite, I guess that's why the hat was drawn in first place... :p
Still, it's nice too see their hair in this mod. :)
(RotDD didn't had this problem, as each of characters has their own sprite, not shared like TLoGI)

Hmm, nice mod, please keep it up. :D
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tyadran »

It's possible to give each character their own battle sprite, so each one could be entirely different if wanted.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

If the game can handle them all, I'm pretty sure Erikin will come to that! :)
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Tyadran wrote:It's possible to give each character their own battle sprite, so each one could be entirely different if wanted.
It’s in the works, I’ve been able to give all the centaurs their own battle sprite, since 6 characters sharing 2 sprites was a little limiting. There seems to be a limit as to how many you can add(game stops loading after a certain number). So unless the editor is updated to handle the added sprites, there is only so many you can fit. I’ll have 2.0 out within a week.

Edit:
Finally, getting 2.0 up and running was a pain in the rear I tell ya! I hope you all enjoy the new additions!
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.0 Released 04/26/18

Post by Lobo »

Erikin84 wrote: Edit:
Finally, getting 2.0 up and running was a pain in the rear I tell ya! I hope you all enjoy the new additions!
Bumping this topic up for the 2.0 update.

Nice work Erikin! :thumbsup:
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.0 Released 4/26/18

Post by Runesamurai »

Where do I download the patch now? All the link does is take me to the sfmods website.

EDIT: Nevermind. ^^;

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess I can't download it unless I join though?

TRIPLE EDIT: I joined the site. Why does it say I don't have permission to download it?
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Runesamurai wrote:Where do I download the patch now? All the link does is take me to the sfmods website.

EDIT: Nevermind. ^^;

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess I can't download it unless I join though?

TRIPLE EDIT: I joined the site. Why does it say I don't have permission to download it?
Must be one of those things where you have to confirm your account before doing anything else, i'll put the links back to normal, sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit:
I contacted Steve and he lifted the restriction on downloading mods, you wont have to register and go through the email confirmation to download the mod anymore.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Okie Dokie. Glad I could help. And have you considered making Balbazak's weapon?