Shining Force III: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Corsair
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Post by Corsair »

Necroposting!

Mednafen now supports save states. Now that I've had a chance to f*ck around with it, it's really quite good and stable. Go grab the newest version!
Doh042

Post by Doh042 »

oh wow, that sounds glorious. So many of my saturn games are left unplayed, but this might actually cause me to find them and pop them in the PC instead.

I'm apparently an evil bastard since I have still my copy of Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga... (I don't think I have any other rare/expensive title though)
... enjoy!

-Doh
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Doesn't it require retroarch or other frontend also or is the setup easier these days?
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Doh042 wrote:oh wow, that sounds glorious. So many of my saturn games are left unplayed, but this might actually cause me to find them and pop them in the PC instead.

I'm apparently an evil bastard since I have still my copy of Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga... (I don't think I have any other rare/expensive title though)
"Still" as in you've had those three games since back when they first came out? Talk about a great (and lucky) investment, if so. Then again, nowadays it feels like that applies to about half the Saturn library.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Doh042

Post by Doh042 »

DomingoRules! wrote:"Still" as in you've had those three games since back when they first came out? Talk about a great (and lucky) investment, if so. Then again, nowadays it feels like that applies to about half the Saturn library.
Yep! I still own the original copies that I got when I was a college student or thereabouts.

I sold my Sega genesis and all games around those days, for peanuts, in the classified ads. It is one of the decision that I have regretted the most in my life, I feel. So since then, I have never gotten rid of my old games and systems, unless I got a direct upgrade (3DSxl, GBA, PS2 vs PS1, etc.)

I didn't have many Genesis titles -- the ones I remember are The Sonics, Shining Force 1 and 2, Shadowrun, Cyborg Justice and maybe a couple of bad ones like Mortal Kombat, Jurassic Park and the games that came with the gun addon (The Menacer, was it?)
... enjoy!

-Doh
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

Doh042 wrote:I sold my Sega genesis and all games around those days, for peanuts, in the classified ads. It is one of the decision that I have regretted the most in my life, I feel.
i feel your pain, i sold my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark for a mere 50p back in about 2001 :fear:, that's all cash Generator would give me for a Saturn game as they sold them for £1 lol, shows they knew nothing of value.
Doh042

Post by Doh042 »

Moondog wrote:[...]my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark[...]
Oh, is Holy Ark also an expensive or rare Saturn game? I have that one too...
... enjoy!

-Doh
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

Doh042 wrote:
Moondog wrote:[...]my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark[...]
Oh, is Holy Ark also an expensive or rare Saturn game? I have that one too...
it's not super rare, but it usually goes for at least £50 (the PAL version).
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Don't know about PAL versions, but all the US Shining Games for Saturn are up there.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Does this emu now support save states? I’m looking for an alternative to SSF for the purpose of making SF3 videos for youtube.
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

Chinagonuk wrote:Does this emu now support save states? I’m looking for an alternative to SSF for the purpose of making SF3 videos for youtube.
Corsair wrote:Mednafen now supports save states. Now that I've had a chance to f*ck around with it, it's really quite good and stable. Go grab the newest version!
================================================
================================================
legalize freedom wrote:Doesn't it require retroarch or other frontend also or is the setup easier these days?
You can use the standalone emulator Mednafen along with one of the frontends such as MedSat like paul_met mentioned.
paul_met wrote:A new version of MedSat is available:
http://www.emu-land.net/consoles/saturn ... ly&id=4227
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Sorry, i only saw page 1 of the thread, oops lol

Edit:
I’ve installed Medsat 1.6 and put latest version of Mednafen in the cores folder but i’m unable to load my games. How do i go about converting my bins and cue into a playable format?
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

You can load the translated version of SF3 image into ImgBurn to create a standard bin/cue image which should work.
loveshining

Post by loveshining »

i also transferred save file from ssf to mednafen. :excited:
game play in MEDNAFEN is Awesome. :thumbsup:
https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-p ... /tag/0.9.5
https://forums.libretro.com/t/mednafen- ... re/4787/46
but could not transfer save file from mednafen to ssf. :shock:
we need boneidols sf3 save editor to support mednafen save type for editing. :confused:
Neutral
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Neutral »

Can I use this to render the game at a higher level with open like in yabause?
My hardware won't be an issue, just want to know if the capability is there
Corsair
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Corsair »

Unfortunately no. To my knowledge, Yabause is the only saturn emulator that improves the internal rendering resolution, and that's a real shame.
graciaman

Post by graciaman »

I've been tinkering with Mednafen. There are some filters you can use, but nothing I know of that increases the rendering. If you edit the config file, find the line saturn.shader and set it to 'sabr'

It smooths things a bit but I'm not a fan of the effect. I feel like Mednafen naturally upscales things really nicely though. I play on a 1080p monitor, full screen, and it looks as good as it does natively. There are some other interesting filters too like a crt emulation one.

More details can be found on the documentation page
https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/

I'm absolutely loving it right now though, solely due to the near-perfect audio. SSF was horrid compared to this.
bukshot420

Post by bukshot420 »

loveshining wrote:i also transferred save file from ssf to mednafen. :excited:
game play in MEDNAFEN is Awesome. :thumbsup:
https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-p ... /tag/0.9.5
https://forums.libretro.com/t/mednafen- ... re/4787/46
but could not transfer save file from mednafen to ssf. :shock:
we need boneidols sf3 save editor to support mednafen save type for editing. :confused:
It’s possible to still use the game save editor, just a tedious process. I’ll decribe the process below in a serious of steps. ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP COPY OF ORIGINAL FILE BEFORE PROCEEDING, IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!!!

1) open parser and load internal save file with .bkr extension in “raw” format from Mednafen.
2) save file in “sh2” mode and rename file InternalBackupRam.bin
3) load internalbackupram file into save state editor, highlight game save you would like to edit and make desired changes.
4) this step is most important, when saving the modified file, make sure you save in memory card and NOT as hook backup. Overwrite the internalbackupram file that was previously converted when saving changes.
5) load modified internalbackupram file into parser in “sh2” mode. Then save in “raw” mode while overwriting the original.bkr file. The file name has to be the same as the original .bkr from Mednafen.
6) enjoy.

The reasoning behind all these steps is due to the differences in how the save files work in ssf and Mednafen. Ssf you can extract an individual game save file, while Mednafen you can only extract whole memory systems (ie internal memory or external memory card).
Lord Kane
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lord Kane »

bukshot420 wrote:
loveshining wrote:
1) open parser and load internal save file with .bkr extension in “raw” format from Mednafen.
2) save file in “sh2” mode and rename file InternalBackupRam.bin
3) load internalbackupram file into save state editor, highlight game save you would like to edit and make desired changes.
4) this step is most important, when saving the modified file, make sure you save in memory card and NOT as hook backup. Overwrite the internalbackupram file that was previously converted when saving changes.
5) load modified internalbackupram file into parser in “sh2” mode. Then save in “raw” mode while overwriting the original.bkr file. The file name has to be the same as the original .bkr from Mednafen.
6) enjoy.
Can you, bukshot420, or anybody else tell me, what exactly is meant by "parser", please? I'm really eager to use the editor on my mednafen savefile! ;)
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Lord Kane wrote:what exactly is meant by "parser", please?
https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-parser/releases/tag/0.9.5

Refer to "parser" in link above :)
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin: