SFIII Translation Project: Premium Disc Error Report Topic

Same principles as the others :

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Premium Disc Error Report Topic

Post by legalize freedom »

That probably explains it, but will it give you different ones if you use a Sc3 save vs creating one in the PD?
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Not likely, like I said, it would be a waste to save all of the avatars in the Saturn backup memory, and pointless.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Right, but it would contain the class (promotion level) and that may control which avatar is used.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

I am not sure if we are on the same page anymore

the promotion level is saved in the save file yes

but the actual image is not.

both images cannot be stored onto the disc, it is either one or the other

the avatar he is looking for is not known to be on the Premium disc, and in the almost 20 years (Ugh) that this game has been out, it would be impressive to see that he had some early draft of the PD that nobody knows about with these GFX
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

The PD borrows most everything from Sc3 so I would assume both (or all 3) images are available on the PD disc. I certainly can't say for sure, but that's what I'm suggesting. Just drawing at straws to try to explain what's going on.

I come to this conclusion. If the PD is being played (whether it has been patched or not) and the Sc3 avatar appears, the image is obviously available from the PD disc. It could be specific to a certain PD disc version, but it isn't the work of the patch. Multiple avatar images are available on every scenario disc so why not the PD?
Bulzome
~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Post by Bulzome »

Sorry for the late reply. I've been sick. Either way, I think I may have found the cause. I called up a friend of mine with the original disc. I sent him all the versions of the patch I have - and sure enough they all use the premium disc avatars. Therefore, that means the problem would have to lie with my backup image. I must have done something wrong when creating it.
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

PSN: TheGreatBulzome
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

The PD does not borrow everything, the PD actually fixes things (I am curious if it fixed the Garosh bug)

The way the avatars have been are laid out is like this:

Unpromoted
Promotion 1
Promotion 2 / Alternate Promotion2

Now Promotion 2 plays by Time Cop rules, both images can't occupy the same space at the same time or else chaos would happen.

When the game needs to display an avatar it grabs it from a special file (You should be able to see the avatar file like you would the loading screen IIRC)
This file will only contain the promoted 2 version, or the alternate promoted 2. Not both.

Also, since the only way you can see a Promoted 2 character is by loading in a scenario 3 save, it would be impossible for people to see the newly designed image based on your theory, everybody would see the old one.

legalize freedom wrote:The PD borrows most everything from Sc3 so I would assume both (or all 3) images are available on the PD disc. I certainly can't say for sure, but that's what I'm suggesting. Just drawing at straws to try to explain what's going on.

I come to this conclusion. If the PD is being played (whether it has been patched or not) and the Sc3 avatar appears, the image is obviously available from the PD disc. It could be specific to a certain PD disc version, but it isn't the work of the patch. Multiple avatar images are available on every scenario disc so why not the PD?
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

knight0fdragon wrote:The PD does not borrow everything, the PD actually fixes things (I am curious if it fixed the Garosh bug)

The way the avatars have been are laid out is like this:

Unpromoted
Promotion 1
Promotion 2 / Alternate Promotion2

Now Promotion 2 plays by Time Cop rules, both images can't occupy the same space at the same time or else chaos would happen.

When the game needs to display an avatar it grabs it from a special file (You should be able to see the avatar file like you would the loading screen IIRC)
This file will only contain the promoted 2 version, or the alternate promoted 2. Not both.

Also, since the only way you can see a Promoted 2 character is by loading in a scenario 3 save, it would be impossible for people to see the newly designed image based on your theory, everybody would see the old one.
Gotcha. So no matter what, the PD will only ever have one promo 2 image available.

It doesn't sound like Bulzome's issue is reproducible either, so I guess we can assume whatever happened was a glitch or human error.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I've just played v18 and noticed the video section has no text labels for either Ending 1 or 2.

EDIT: Played more of the Premium Disc and noticed the three headed dragon in battle 6 are called "thief" and "villager".
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Thank you for the report.

I know the ending videos aren't available until and unless there is a completed save present. It would be odd if the vid would still play though. Is that the case?

Will get the enemy names fixed up!
Reincar

Post by Reincar »

When I try to patch my Premium Disk ROM, the patch wizard gives me an error message so big that it does not fit into the window. It says that it does not recognize the disk version that I have.

I got my ROM from coolrom. If you want to test this version, keep in mind that there is a typo in the .cue file, so you will have to manually change the line that says:

FILE "Shining Force III - Premium Disc.iso" BINARY

to

FILE "Shining Force III - Premium Disc.bin" BINARY
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

The problem is likely the disc image. The patcher will error if it isn't a clean original image. You should never trust disc images from the internet. There's no value in testing this one. That said, if it works with the patch wizard, it is confirmed a good image.
Reincar

Post by Reincar »

I did not expect such a reply. I thought you will acknowledge that your patch does not work with all versions of the disk and will improve the patch to work with this version which you did not know about when developing the patch.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Reincar wrote:I did not expect such a reply. I thought you will acknowledge that your patch does not work with all versions of the disk and will improve the patch to work with this version which you did not know about when developing the patch.
Another version of the PD would indeed be news. I don't believe one exists. But if you believe that to be the case, we will take the time to verify.

What likely makes this "version" different is that it has been altered from the original. It has been documented and acknowledged that the patch wizard will not work with disc images that have been altered in any way, including being region patched, etc.
dg1995

Post by dg1995 »

Premium disk sometimes crashes when it's loading the pictures of the characters.

-When you are at Campbell page and press next picture it will crash.

-I selected the fairy girl picture and pressed A and it crashed there as well.

I'm using Mednafen Saturn emulator.
CommodoreZog

Post by CommodoreZog »

dg1995 wrote:Premium disk sometimes crashes when it's loading the pictures of the characters.

-When you are at Campbell page and press next picture it will crash.

-I selected the fairy girl picture and pressed A and it crashed there as well.

I'm using Mednafen Saturn emulator.
I can replicate this issue. I also got a crash trying to load Conrad from the illustration menu.