Shining Force II Hacking: The Hack Library

Looking for something hack-related? Check here first.

A place for Shining Force 2 hack discussion, editing tools, new hacks etc.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

thepeaguy
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: The Hack Library

Post by thepeaguy »

Anyone know how to fix this bug, guise? I applied the search fix patch to the .smd file of SFII.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nyttelost
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nyttelost »

The patches that are here are designed for use with a BIN rom.
The data in a SMD file is arranged differently than the BIN file, so you may have scrambled a few things on accident.
SpaceKing's SF2Editor does have a SMD->BIN function. While I haven't had the need to use it, it probably works if you don't have a BIN rom to use.
Current Youtube Activities:
Chroma Squad, Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force: RotDD.

Sometimes I stream on Twitch.

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016
kharrison713

Post by kharrison713 »

What gives Odd Eye the ability to put characters to sleep with his attacks? I'm using the SF2 editor, and while looking at the Monsters section, I found the Special Ability section, and it has the number 234, does this have something to do with it?
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

No, it's in the critical hit section: you'll notice that as well as extra damage, critical hits can also apply status effects, including the sleep effect that you're after.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
kharrison713

Post by kharrison713 »

Trouble with the SF2 Edit after using the Caravan. It won't save any of the changes in the editor, even after I save it. Everything that I changed in the Caravan did carryover tho. Any thoughts?
Earl
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Earl »

Sounds like you have both programs open at the same time.

If you open a ROM - we'll call it Vanilla - in both, then the ROM both are editing is Vanilla.
You make changes in the Caravan and save. Now the ROM you were starting from is Vanilla+Caravan.
However, the ROM being edited in SF2edit is still just Vanilla. So if you make changes in SF2edit and save, the ROM you were starting from is now Vanilla+SF2edit, and Vanilla+Caravan has ceased to exist.

In order to keep changes: open program 1, open ROM, edit, and save in program 1, then close that program. Then open program 2, open ROM, edit, save, and close program 2.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Yeah, what Earl said.

That has given me soooo many headaches in the past.

It is possible to be a little faster than Earl's suggestion and keep both programs open, but it requires a good memory. Basically, if you save in one editor, reopen the rom in the other before making any changes.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
kharrison713

Post by kharrison713 »

Ok, so I'm playing through my Caravan/Edit game, and so far the first bug I've found is Creed's evil spirit NOT turning into Zeon, just the background and then the smoke explosion. Anyone have any theories?
RedShine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RedShine »

kharrison713 wrote:Ok, so I'm playing through my Caravan/Edit game, and so far the first bug I've found is Creed's evil spirit NOT turning into Zeon, just the background and then the smoke explosion. Anyone have any theories?
It may be one of those bugs inherent to the Caravan. I noticed that in my edited ROMs the castle storm scene in the intro is completely black instead of just darkened after any edits are made, and the room can only be seen when lightning strikes outside.

The case with Evil Spirit may be related to that, but I can't prove it. That said, I recently I started playing a hack by Cireza and when I met Creed and his Evil Spirit the very same thing happened to me, so...

Edit: I realize now that this may have been necroposting on my part, sorry.
On that note, Cireza's hack should probably be added to the repository. I've been playing it and it adds some curious changes (although it doesn't use new art as far as I can tell, some promotions are surprising. It also has an unusual join order for most characters).
Sinuous57

Post by Sinuous57 »

Hi everyone,
I'm really new here so please forgive if I say something stupid or break any etiquette without knowing.
So I'm starting a new project, in which I'm going to create a rom hack of shining force two where I've rewritten the dialogue so it's in the style of team four stars dragon Ball Z abridged. That is to say a loving parody highlighting hilarious moments (Bowie being thrown at the evil king in order to save the princess) and the things we love to hate ( Peter being a kill stealer before he joins the force)
I've downloaded; the ROM, The caravan and SF2 editor. I've also managed to edit the dialogue and export the file in a playable state as a proof of concept, but so far it's all been guesswork and what I can gather from forums. So if anyone can point me in the direction of some good tutorials that may help me with this specific project that would be really helpful. Plus if anyone Reading this has experience making Rom hacks can I ask, is it possible for me to input entirely new dialogue rather then just edit the dialogue that's already there or even create entire new cut scenes? I'm just trying to scope out my options and restrictions before I start writing the script.
Thank you all for accepting me to the forum and any help you can give would be amazing.
Again I apologise if I've come across as demanding or anything like that, I'm just really excited about this project and love to start it proper.
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

The first page of this thread is a good place to start. If you're looking specifically at higher level editing of dialogue, it's a lot of work, but possible. Help can be found in Earl's old thread here.

I've done my best to compile various hacking resources that aren't done through the Caravan or SF2 Edit here.

And if you want a quick and dirty introduction to hex editing, a YouTube video is here.

EDIT: Because it's been a while, I made some significant updates to the list of hacking resources, adding more than a dozen links and text files. Check it out!
Sinuous57

Post by Sinuous57 »

Thanks so much SirHedge!
So much useful information to get through. Particularly around SF2textManager. I'm going to try my best to see whether I can use it to add original dialogue as both Earl and Wiz seem to think that it's possible. I've already tried, but I think I'm just missing too much basic information about rom hacking and SF2textManager to get it to work. I May try contacting them directly, if they're still around, to see if they can help me get the basics right, then I'll take it from there. Thanks again for the help I can't wait to get this project going. :)
nicbongo

Post by nicbongo »

Hey everyone,

A noob here who's recently been inspired to hack SF2. The main thing I want to do is edit the writing to make it more humurous, adult, but I guess real.

Thanks so much for the resource here guys, I'm using caravan to edit the text,

So I had some questions regarding editing this process. Some of the coding I'm not familiar with (sorry if this is the wrong place, as I mentioned, I'm a noob dipping my toes)

In the dialogue coding in caravan. I know {N} means new line, but what does {w1} and {w2} mean? I think {w2} refers to a dialogue window closing?

Also, after playing Dark Claw's hack, I wanted to change some sprites/portraits during cut scenes (not make brand new ones, just edit what is already there). But I have no idea how to do that, as caravan works for battles, not so much for cut-scenes (as far as I can tell). Will hex editing help with this?

For instance, that scene after Bowie and co get captured and meet Slade in prison, I thought it would be great to have Lemon the character in the cell (instead of the old man), who refused to attack Granseal, and is waiting to speak to Galam to try and convince him not to go to war. So when you meet him later after returning to Granseal, it would add more weight to the idea that he had been possessed etc.

Appreciate any help, hope I can one contribute more to the great resource the community has here.

Cheers,

edit*
@SirHedge, thanks for those links, I'm going to check out the hex editor today!

@Sinuous57 - I've been trying to rescript as well, thought the opposite way, in more realistic terms with adult anguage and humor (Volcanon's balls, Mitula's tits etc, Sarah teasing Bowie for his crush on Elis etc). From my tiny experience, I don't think you can add more text boxes, but can only rewrite what is in those textboxes. From what I've read/heard, I think that as the rom has a tiny file size (2mb - 4mb?), there isn't space to add new content, only to replace or edit what is already exists (like the hex editing). I have a feeling that if you want to do something totally new, then you will have to essentially make a new game. And that is a totally different story. I might progress onto RPG maker and make a SF style game. But this is big enough challenge for now! Good luck!
jordanelias

Post by jordanelias »

Nevermind--turns out that the spell .txt in the hack library list is different than the one I had in a folder.
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

anyone point me to where i can find a copy of the rom in bin format that will let me patch it ive tried a few times and it doesnt change the game
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

If you get SF2 Edit by SpaceKing, it has a built in SMD --> BIN converter. That's what I used. There are probably other SMD --> BIN converters available online as well. No one on this site distributes actual roms.
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

thanks for the head up sirhedge :D
Blunderpusse

Post by Blunderpusse »

Nevermind my question. I finally learnt how to play "Spriter Man" with the Disassemble Tools. :shifty:
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

Request to add "SF2 mod ULTRA 5.5" to the hack library.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acsound
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by acsound »

At the risk of necroposting on this thread, I thought I'd add a link to the Caravan here: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/452/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your patience.