SFIII Translation Project: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Post by legalize freedom »

Is it the deal where the wrong person is saying the lines?
The_Dark_Lord
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by The_Dark_Lord »

Yup. Also seems to have affected the Hero's Test entrance dialogue, so I think it's affected the entire area.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Looks like you had an error in the patching process. I can't reproduce this (see below).

Try starting completely over. Download the patch, run the patch on an original disc (do nothing while the patch is working), and burn the SF3.ISO file to disc (doing nothing while the disc is burning).

Out of curiosity you might want to try running the ISO you used to burn the disc in SSF to see you get the error.

You can grab a save from here:
http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral. ... nario%201/
Spoiler
Depoes

Post by Depoes »

Hi! I hope this is the right topic but I'll give it shot (hopefully without being banned forever).

I've just got the cd read error after killing Fafhard in scenario 1. It's an error that's been posted about before.

Here is a link to the thread I found

The solution involves swapping backup files to another SSF version, which sounds like a splendid plan. Except my backup folders appear quite empty. Backup hook has been enabled forever. I can stateload and load internal and backup saves through the ingame menus. Any idea why the backup folders aren't visible when I try to acces them outside of the game?

cheers!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Not really the right place to post since this isn't a patch error, but I'll try to help.

The first thing you should try to get past that error is to go to the EZ Settings in SSF and set it to the lowest setting (Low Compatibility (Fast)). That will get you past most of these types of freezes. Set it back to normal once you're clear.

Using the normal save system (Hook Backup Library not checked) you'll find the save files in the main directory (InternalBackupRAM.bin and/or ExternalBackupRAM.bin. If using the Hook Backup save system, then the saves will be in the Backup directory. Never use save states. They will cause problems.

I personally use the normal save system since it is compatible with the actual Saturn hardware. If you have no plans or desire to move saves to a Saturn or share saves with anyone using the normal system, I suppose the Hook Backup system is more convenient. I don't know much about it since I have never used it.

For the normal saves, sometimes the files won't recognize right off the bat. Try to create, format and save to a new file a couple of times closing and starting SSF in the process and then replace the working one with the one you want to read.
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Hi

Not sure if this is a patch error or something else. I'm playing the latest version of S1 (15) with the added files used for the end of the scenario translation. I've just finished the battle in the catacombs with spiriel and basanda. I went towards the Hero's Test and pressed C to read the sign outside the entrance and the game froze. Music continued to play but the game stopped and i had to reset.

Also, i see this was just mentioned, but the infamous dialog bug, where the wrong guys are speaking is still present. Not the first part with basanda, but the bit when you walk towards the final battle and you meet the 2 gaurds and fynnding.

Another thing i found strange was, after this sequence of dialog, someone says (presumably Fynnding) "I'll lead the 2nd battalion to the dam" or words to that effect. Not sure if this was present in the original game discs or not, but it shouldn't be there. The reason being that you havn't returned to malorie castle yet, and Palsis hasn't revealed his plan, therefore there shouldn't yet be a mention of the dam.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

If you are having the wrong people speaking lines you should run the patch again. Before running it delete the SF3Track2.bin file and the previous CUE and ISO in the patch directory. Be sure not to do anything on the computer while it is running. This should solve your issues.

The first time you meet Fynnding, he mentions nothing of the damn or leading the second battalion. It is, however, in the same game file so it could have been caused by the mixed up lines.
Carandor

Post by Carandor »

So, I've been having the same dialogue bug problems as the others, tried everything suggested here to fix it and nothing worked, I even tried downloading a copy to see if it was the scratch on my original disk that was causing it and still got the bug. Then I tried downloading the US version of the game (I have the PAL version) and the patcher worked fine, no more dialogue bug. Not sure if it was a fluke or the patcher doesn't work properly with the PAL version but it might be worth looking into.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Carandor wrote:So, I've been having the same dialogue bug problems as the others, tried everything suggested here to fix it and nothing worked, I even tried downloading a copy to see if it was the scratch on my original disk that was causing it and still got the bug. Then I tried downloading the US version of the game (I have the PAL version) and the patcher worked fine, no more dialogue bug. Not sure if it was a fluke or the patcher doesn't work properly with the PAL version but it might be worth looking into.
That is interesting. I don't personally own a PAL version, so I wouldn't know. I always considered them to be identical in all but packaging. I know there are plenty of PAL patchers around though. It will be something I verify from now on.
zarkon

Post by zarkon »

Hi, I was playing sf3 senario 1 with version 15 of the translation and I found one text box with a error. I think this post is the correct location to put this in, if not I apologize.

It's the king speaking and the box reads:
I didn't known a Vandal was behind the cursed village of Quonus. Nor did I know that William was searching for it.

I feel it should read I didn't know, not known.

This is I believe the haunted town after the first mission.

Just wanted to post this to help out the project, I'll keep looking for more as I play.

Thanks for all your hard work it's amazing to get to play this game in its complete form and with a great story so far. I really like the quality of the translation.

take care.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Fixed it. Thanks!

And thanks for the kind words.

Be sure to post if you find any more issues.
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Yeah, going back to the dialog bug. I had the same results as Carandor. If i patch a NTSC disc instead of my original PAL disc, the bug is fixed. Weird huh?

Also (as i play on a PAL saturn, UK 50hz) not sure if i'll have any speed isues or scrolling isues or anything like that. My untrained eye hasn't noticed anything different. Still i'm sure you'd like your patch to work perfectly on PAL versions as well as NTSC versions if possible.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

There must be some difference with the PAL version. I'll ask in a separate topic.

You're video output should not be affected. That is a function of the system video output, not anything a game would change to my knowledge.
rsn

Post by rsn »

Hey guys! I finally just started playing this and, so far, whenever Synbios talks, the dialog box only shows "......." instead of actual words. I aplogize if this is a known problem and I've missed something, but is there a chance that something is wrong with my copy? Everyone else's dialog is just fine and the game is playing perfectly; it's just this one character's dialog that is showing up only as "......." instead of his real lines. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for all of your efforts!!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

SF3 uses a silent protagonist. That's the way the game was intended, to allow you to roleplay the main character. Some like it, some hate it.

At any rate, not a patch issue.
rsn

Post by rsn »

Ooh okay, thanks so much for clearing that up! At first, I actually figured that was the case and that it was intentional...but then it kept happening and I wanted to make sure because I've never seen that before. Well, good to know! And it feels great to finally be playing a new SF game after all this time, so thank you so much for your hard work!
Lamagier

Post by Lamagier »

I've not seen this mentioned here but on both scenario 1 & 2 for me (scenario 1 being a PAL disc and scenario 2 being a JAP disc) when I go into a healers magic options (during combat) and heal is selected (but before i actually cast it) the description for the spell is recover HP and then a lot of space afterwards (like blank spaces have been inserted into the description resulting in the text box being extra long).
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

That is a function of the game. That box is as long as the longest description for that character. So select a different spell and you can find the longest length.

We have no control over it.
Kaliesto

Post by Kaliesto »

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post this error I keep finding, but here it goes:

At the railroad refugee battle, it appears that the battle itself is very highly unstable for whatever reason, and I'm playing this on my saturn. The game the first time around froze right when the train took off at the beginning of the battle, and now the second time when I was controlling a refugee, I sent it back to it's original position to change tactics, and just froze right there.

Also earlier on the game I was outside saraband, and fighting the monks, and the saraband guard, and when I hit one of the guards, and went back to field map the game froze, and showed me the ocean underneath the field. This only happened once thankfully.

I've read somewhere this seems to happen only to scenario 1, and the rest just play just fine.
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

I saw this mentioned earlier with previous versions of the patch and it just happened to me:

Late in Chapter 4, in Flagard castle, when Synbios (under player control) walks toward Conrad, a dialog is supposed to start, but the game instead freezes with a blue box in the corner.

Using Patch v16, playing on a modded Saturn.

Does this happen to anyone else on Patch V16? Would temporarily switching to the regular disc (US ver.) introduce any other problems?