SFIII Translation Project: Scenario 2 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Scenario 2 Error Report Topic

Post by legalize freedom »

Got it fixed up. It will show correctly in V14.

Thanks!
Ceyx

Post by Ceyx »

I’ve found the following errors during my recent play-through of Scenarios 2 and 3 using patch v13.

Shining Force III Scenario 2

Typos

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: change Prine to Prince

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: change self-sufficient to self-sufficiently

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: change fait to faith

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: change eard to heard

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: change invad to invade

Lines Assigned to The Wrong Speaker
These are instances where two speakers seem to have had their lines mistakenly swapped.

Spoiler
Suggested Correction: Swap the husband's and wife's lines. (Not that it isn't entirely impossible that the wife is the ship's captain and the primary breadwinner of the house, or that the husband simply enjoys sitting around bragging on their son.)

Spoiler
Suggested Corrections: Swap Jade's wife's and daughter's lines. I believe these lines were assigned to the wrong sprites in this case. The sprite claiming to be Jade's wife is a child, and the one claiming to be his daughter is a grown woman.

Spoiler
Suggested Corrections: Swap the husband's and wife's lines.

Graphical Errors

Spoiler
Problem: The line runs off screen.

Spoiler
Problem: Julian is promoted, but his unpromoted face portrait is used.

Spoiler
Problem: Julian is promoted, but his unpromoted face portrait is used.

Spoiler
Problem: There is a blank line above the text.

Spoiler

Problem: The line runs off screen.

Spoiler
Problem: The dialogue box should be flush with the blacksmith's face portrait.

Points of Confusion
These are just a couple of things that confused me as I played through the game.

Jade and Garosh's parents share a house with Jade's wife and daughter in Iro Viliage. They both mention the fates of their three sons: an unnamed son who died in the Bulzome Cult's attack in Chapter 1, Scenario 1 (the eldest son), Garosh (the middle child), and Jade (the youngest son).
Spoiler
However, there's another, this time elderly couple who say that their two eldest sons had served in the Saraband Guard. The elderly woman refers to Garosh specifically as "Poor Garosh." (Even though Garosh lived in my game. It's possible she's referring to the fact that he's lost his two brothers.)
Spoiler
Problem/Possible Solution: Is it possible the elderly couple is meant to refer to their eldest grandsons instead of their eldest sons? I don't understand Japanese, so I don't know if this is a translation error or not. Also, the middle aged woman in Jade's house speaks as if Jade and Garosh are both still alive and fighting. Perhaps her line could be switched to the past tense.

Spoiler
Problem: I have no idea who or what "Tenor" is.

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll post my findings from Scenario 3 later this week.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Thanks for the feedback, but possibly all of these issues have already been fixed (and are ready for the V14 release). Please check Synbios16's vids on YouTube and let me know which ones still exist as of that time. The confusion with Garosh and Jade's relatives was remedied after the vids. I remember that much.

Feel free to email me with the screenshots and doc, BTW.
stvsimms@juno.com
wshiraef

Post by wshiraef »

I wonder if this is too nit-picky, lol: In Anafect Village, when you talk to the villager in the boat right next to the boat with the weapon shop, it looks like "a" is missing right before the word "sturdy". I attached an image of the error which is right at the beginning of Chapter 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Not too picky at all. Share what you find and I'll get it in the next version.

Thanks!
wshiraef

Post by wshiraef »

Here are a few errors. I attached three images. Also when you first reach Elbesem in Chapter 4, and try to talk to the Village Chief, it is extremely hard to read the name "Village Chief" because it is purple. I can't attach an image because the maximum is three until someone else replies. I am not 100% sure I have the correct chapters for each of these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Limlight

Post by Limlight »

I'm not sure if its just my end but has anyone had crashing issues with donhort as an ally, after he takes a certain amount of turns I'll get an error message that will completely freeze the game up, it's been an issue for awhile. To get around it I normally I just kill him off to avoid the problem but it is annoying.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Limlight wrote:I'm not sure if its just my end but has anyone had crashing issues with donhort as an ally, after he takes a certain amount of turns I'll get an error message that will completely freeze the game up, it's been an issue for awhile. To get around it I normally I just kill him off to avoid the problem but it is annoying.
Hmm, that is a rather strange issue.

I personally haven't come across that issue myself, but as I kill off Donhort ASAP, I know why I possibly haven't had such an issue :)
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
Nuburan
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nuburan »

wshiraef wrote:Here are a few errors. I attached three images. Also when you first reach Elbesem in Chapter 4, and try to talk to the Village Chief, it is extremely hard to read the name "Village Chief" because it is purple. I can't attach an image because the maximum is three until someone else replies. I am not 100% sure I have the correct chapters for each of these.
Regarding the "that that" image, the first "that" is a conjunction (or part of the idiomatic phrase "now that", which functions as a conjunction as well), while the second is an adjective. It's suspect style but permissible grammar.

"Since" would be a functional substitution for "now that", but lost is a shade of emphasis on time. With the "next" in the following clause, though, that emphasis might be redundant.
Last edited by Nuburan on Sun Jun 23 2013 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

It could be changed to "Since that nuisance is now out of the way..." if we wanted to be really pedantic.

There're actually a few ways that could be construed:

Seeing as though that...
Now, since that...
As that nuisance is now...

We could even interpret the entire thing a bit more loosely:

It's now time for the Synbios army, as that nuisance is finally out of the way...
As that pest has finally gone, it's now time for the Synbios army...
Next is the Synbios army, since that bother has been eliminated...
Seeing as though that hindrance has been ousted, the Synbios army is next...

As you can see, there's many different ways to bring across the intended meaning of the sentence :)

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Nuburan
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nuburan »

Um . . . sure. My interest wasn't so much an Erasmus-like exercise in copia as delivering the same information in as close to the same character voice as possible, without altering the length of the dialogue any more than necessary. It's not a matter of pedantry but of craft.

As you say, the "intended meaning of the sentence" can be conveyed many different ways, but dialogue is more than just intended meanings of sentences. It needs to reflect the character speaking it: his background, his personality, his mood. Without having access to or understanding of the Japanese, I have no way of knowing how Camelot intended this dialogue to be read, nor what a "most faithful" translation might look like. Relative to what is in the screenshot, however . . .

"Seeing as though that . . . " is in a less formal register, nonstandard and regional. To my American Midwestern ear, it sounds downright bizarre.
"Now, since that . . . " or something similar ("Now, with that . . . ") might be the closest alternative, although I think there's a slight overtone of annoyance carried by "now that" which isn't quite retained.
"As . . . " comes from a higher register. It sounds like legal jargon or the state-business phrasing of nobility.

Any permutation in which you switch the positioning of the clauses to place the "Synbios army" one first has a different emphasis and thus a different meaning. With English being a head-initial language, we tend to move the more important parts to the beginning. Consider the difference between, "I don't like rice. I like beans." and, "I don't like rice. Beans I like." It's difficult to read any distinction in the literal meanings of the words, but the hearer/reader still understands the difference in emphasis. That said . . .

"It's now time for the Synbios army, as that nuisance is finally out of the way . . . " lacks the urgency and disdain of the language in the picture. "Finally" might be implying a longer history of nuisance, as well.
"As that pest has finally gone, it's now time for the Synbios army . . . " is also short on urgency. "Pest" seems like it would be used by a different social set than "nuisance", and it's arguably more dehumanizing.
"Next is the Synbios army, since that bother has been eliminated . . . " "Bother", to my mind, is more trifling than "nuisance". "Has been eliminated" is more certain and more boastful than "is out of the way." Garzel is awfully proud of sending Edmund swimming.
"Seeing as though that hindrance has been ousted, the Synbios army is next . . . " "Hindrance" belongs to a higher linguistic register (perhaps used with "as"), and "ousted" doesn't quite work or is comically euphemistic. That, combined with "seeing as though that" turns Garzel into comic relief. I almost expect him to conclude, "And then we all go for ice cream!"

Which would actually be pretty badass, come to think of it.

None of this is to say that your ideas are wrong, if they are right for the character. The questionably stylized "that that" isn't wrong, if it's right for the character. Even bad grammar could be right. I don't really know; I just like thinking about these things.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Oh don't worry Nuburan; I love talking about things such as this (translation, of course, being something I engage in daily).

You're right though: without knowing Japanese, we really can't tell exactly what sort of character Garzel is.

Nevertheless, seeing as though (<-- :)) this sentence also appears in Scenario 1, here's what the original SoA translation team had Garzel saying: One problem down. The Synbios battalion is next. I suppose it's time I took a personal hand in this. (http://shiningforcecentral.com/?p=scrip ... ch=3&se=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Oddly enough, I think that works quite well :)

Mensa Member
IQ 137
RikaPSO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RikaPSO »

Game locked up while characters were talking after battle 4 took place. I'm not sure what the text would have said.
SSF ver 12, r4. Patch version 14 updated.
Last edited by RikaPSO on Mon Jul 22 2013 1:47am, edited 1 time in total.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Do you mean 012-R4?

See other post. These sound like emulator / hardware compatibility issues.
RikaPSO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RikaPSO »

legalize freedom wrote:Do you mean 012-R4?

See other post. These sound like emulator / hardware compatibility issues.
Yes, hm maybe it was just like you said in the other topic. Thank you! :)
GaresTaylan

Post by GaresTaylan »

Just started playing Sc2 today. Ran into a crash right after the first battle. When Medion's group goes to talk to Synbios' army that are being harassed by the soldiers, the graphics freeze up and I cant do anything. Are there a lot of issues like this I should be aware of ahead of time. I hadn't saved and got my team up to lvl 3 so now I have to start all over again.

*EDIT*

Just redid the battle and got to the same point. This time I did a save state before moving on. Same crash as before. So I loaded my state and set the emulator to fast compatibility. This time it crashed sooner than before.

Any ideas? Ive tried all the compatibility modes now. It just crashes. Every time.

*Edit 2*

Well, I managed, after trying another 10 times or so to get past that scene. Everything was good until the next battle. Now Im getting random crashes in battle. Sometimes during an attack animation, sometimes just scrolling on the map.

MasterSH2 code = DED3
0607BFBC: (DED3) MOV.L @(H'34C,PC), R14

SlaveSH2 code = 6010
0600D472: (6010) MOV.B @R1, R0

68000 code = 661E
00001DAC: (661E) BNE $00001DCC
SH2 Unknown code: FFFF

So, I turned dynamic recompile off, thinking maybe the graphics were just wonky. When I do that, the game now always crashes after the second "attack" in battle. So if Medion attacks (1) and then a bat attacks (2) it crashes after that bat attacks with an error similar to the one above. Doesnt matter who it is, it always crashes after the 2nd person, friend or foe, attacks.

Any ideas? Ive tried different versions of my video card drive, even though it was up to date before. I tried rolling back to SSF 9A14, but it wont let me import my internal/external memory. It forces me to wipe it.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

This is likely either underpowered hardware or a bad emulator version.

Stick with SSF 002 beta R2.

You should be able to load the same saves, but you may need to format a new card first and then replace it with the one that contains the saves.

This is not related to the patch so please continue this discussion in another thread if needed.
GaresTaylan

Post by GaresTaylan »

My rig will play just about anything current gen I can throw at it, so I know its not underpowered. 3rd gen i5 CPU w/ HD7950 GPU.

I managed to get the game to load and continue using 012 Alpha, but no matter what settings I choose the game is really jerky, but at least its playable (altho very annoyingly slow).

Do you mean 012, beta R2? The oldest I see on the SSF site is 006 and that was really old, so I cant imagine 002 being the way to go.

Didn't mean to clutter the thread. Thanks for the info.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Yes, sorry, I meant 012 beta R2. All SSF versions are not created equal.

Post by Emmett The Crab »

Please don't murdelize me if this has been covered before. I'm new here.

OKay, I have burned the disc twice using a windows program called "image burn." I included SF3.CUE and SF3 (ISO file).

There's another file, SF3track2.bin (is that supposed to be in there too?) I left it out.
Also, does the CD ROM have to be named right? Both times I just called it CDROM.
Neither of my discs I made are loading, but I know the original game disc works using an Action Replay, (Scenario 2)

Trying to make a disc to play on my Saturn, rather than emulate.