SFIII Translation Project: The Beginning of Hopefully the Best Adventure Ever!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

wshiraef

The Beginning of Hopefully the Best Adventure Ever!

Post by wshiraef »

I have been following this project since I began college in 2005, and have been anxiously awaiting the day when everything is pretty much coming together, so I can play all of Shining Force III. I fished out my saturn last night from the shed on my way home from work, and unbeknownst to me, my fiance bought me a gaming chair without any knowledge I was about to start playing Shining Force III.

Well, I think saying I was in heaven last night is an understatement! It took me quite a few tries to learn how to do the swap trick, and thankfully I have a action replay plus, bc the battery is dead on the saturn.

One of the first games I played as a kid was Shining Force 1, and I never even found out there were more until I grew up. Thankyou everyone who has done any work on this project, especially legalize freedom and knightofdragon! I am one happy nerd right now, lol!

Last edited by wshiraef on Sat Jan 19 2013 4:20am, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: The Beginning of Hopefully the Best Adventure Ever!

Post by DomingoRules! »

Nice set up you have there. I'm greatly anticipating the playing of that as well, but am patiently waiting for it to be totally 100% complete. It's not easy.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
whiterose
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by whiterose »

I just recently got the full SFIII package myself. :) Haven't even had time enough to really sit down and go at it, though. ;-; Might do this this weekend, actually.

And, I knew there were others growing up... I was just poor and SFIII and most shining force titles beyond the first two weren't really available to me since I neither had the money, nor the systems. :c I'm now only one copy of SFCD away from owning all the SF titles that were released here in the US... but at least I have half-a-case (the back of it, with the artwork) and the manual for it. >.>

And yeah. That is a cool set up. That looks like a movie screen. O.o
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Awesome.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm going to make V14 official on monday... So be sure to burn new discs once it is released.

Sc1 and 2 are in damn good shape. Sc3 is a little rough around the edges in places, but really only lacking polish.
wshiraef

Post by wshiraef »

DomingoRules:
I couldn't wait any longer. I don't mind "a little rough around the edges" lol. I've owned all the Shining Force 3 games for years now, waiting patiently for legalize freedom to complete his work of art, :). I just wish I would have realized I could change the difficulty without having to finish the game first. At least I realized it by Battle 6.

Whiterose:
I also was too poor to get any games growing up. My mom wouldn't even allow video games, so my genius of a brother rigged an old monitor to a sega genesis using hangers, and we would hide upstairs for hours taking turns playing Shining Force. I learned about the other shining force games in college and found Shiningforcecentral and the translation project. I have since beat every single one of the "Real" Shining Force games (with battles), except Shining Force III.

Legalize Freedom:
You're my shining hero, lol! I will definitely grab the new updates, keep them coming! I'm hoping by the time I reach Scenario 3, it will be a little more polished. If not, Thanks a million for all your work thus far!
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

wshiraef wrote:DomingoRules:
I couldn't wait any longer. I don't mind "a little rough around the edges" lol. I've owned all the Shining Force 3 games for years now, waiting patiently for legalize freedom to complete his work of art, :). I just wish I would have realized I could change the difficulty without having to finish the game first. At least I realized it by Battle 6.
It's definitely not easy, but the fact that I'm extremely far behind with games as is sure helps. I have some games that are years old, and still haven't yet gotten to finishing.

Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

DomingoRules! wrote:
wshiraef wrote:DomingoRules:
It's definitely not easy, but the fact that I'm extremely far behind with games as is sure helps. I have some games that are years old, and still haven't yet gotten to finishing.
I'm playing Phantasy Star 1, for the first time. And, I just recently played Dragon Quest 1-3. :thumbsup:
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Kalkano wrote:I'm playing Phantasy Star 1, for the first time. And, I just recently played Dragon Quest 1-3. :thumbsup:
Not a fan of Dragon Quest, but I did enjoy the Phantasy Star games. I've only ever beaten 2 and 4, though. Are you playing the localized English version? Or a translated rom? I ask because apparently the localized versions of the Phantasy Star games had their stories totally mutilated because of what was acceptable back then and whatnot, to the point where some of the major plot points between the games barely even fit into place. A translation team though eventually released accurate translation patches for all four games, which I've been meaning to play. I've only ever played the localized versions myself.

Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

DomingoRules! wrote:
Kalkano wrote:I'm playing Phantasy Star 1, for the first time. And, I just recently played Dragon Quest 1-3. :thumbsup:
Not a fan of Dragon Quest, but I did enjoy the Phantasy Star games. I've only ever beaten 2 and 4, though. Are you playing the localized English version? Or a translated rom? I ask because apparently the localized versions of the Phantasy Star games had their stories totally mutilated because of what was acceptable back then and whatnot, to the point where some of the major plot points between the games barely even fit into place. A translation team though eventually released accurate translation patches for all four games, which I've been meaning to play. I've only ever played the localized versions myself.
Rom. I had no idea about this, so I assume it's the original, "botched" version.

So far, I am enjoying Phantasy Star slightly more than Dragon Quest.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Kalkano wrote: Rom. I had no idea about this, so I assume it's the original, "botched" version.

So far, I am enjoying Phantasy Star slightly more than Dragon Quest.
Well I still found the story followable enough when playing the localized versions, so long as you pay attention. A lot of the main issues I saw anyway had to do with changing names of characters and places. I've heard there are story problems as well though, such as in the beginning of the first game. I believe in the Japanese version, Elys's brother dies, as opposed to (if I recall correctly) something a bit less brutal happening to him.

The biggest problem with the localized versions is Phantasy Star 3. From what I've heard, the game is actually supposed to clearly connect to the other games, yet in the US version there are virtually no connections what-so-ever.

Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

Nice setup!

Do you mind telling me what kind of projector you are using and does it work with light guns?
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

I personally think it's the best game, period. This game does it right on so many levels. Why I'm always so heart broken that the future for this series has to end on such a high note. Oh man, if Camelot and Sega never split and we had countless more SF games from them. :( Oh well, but I guess if it had to end, I'm glad it was on a high note and on my fave console too, to boot. :) And I can't believe many bad things Sega started doing since the Saturn days. Man, they never should of axed the Saturn so early for that Dreamcast, which should of been released alongside PS2... ok, enough going off topic. Congrats OP, and I very much hope you have as good a time as I had with these 3 games that lasted 10 months of none stop SF3 gaming heaven. Best gaming experience of my life. Easy.