SFC News: Shining Blade announced for PSP!

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderators: SFC News, Shining Moderators

SFC News
The SFC Newsbot
Administrator

Shining Blade announced for PSP!

Post by SFC News »

Typical that this news would hit on the one day in ages that I spent mostly away from my desk ;)
Nonetheless, better late than never - even if everywhere else announced this yesterday!
Famitsu magazine in Japan has featured the first details & pictures of Shining Blade for PSP, the latest installment of the Shining Series courtesy of Mr Sawada.
Recent rumours concerning the gameplay style appear to have been confirmed, as the game will apparently feature a fighting system something like that used in Valkyria Chronicles.
Unsurprisingly, Tony Taka will be taking care of the character design, so let's expect a lot of related merchandise, most of which will feature scantily-clad females. Great.
Presumably related to the release of this news, Sega have revamped their Shining World site.
Shining Blade is due for a Spring 2012 release in Japan, with no news of an English release aside from past unconfirmed comments from Mr Sawada which stated rather emphatically that there will be no international release. Let's hope this isn't the case.
More info:

http://www.1up.com/news/sega-shining-series-returns-psp
http://gamingeverything.com/10733/shining-blade-announced-first-scans/?pid=6189
http://shining-world.jp
SilverShadow
Blast from the Past
Shining Member

Re: Shining Blade announced for PSP!

Post by SilverShadow »

Hmm, I wonder if the thread in All Things Shining from last year about a new SF game going "back to basics" is in fact this game? Or was it all just a rumour?

This new SF game looks a little too similar to FF12 for me ... alas! *sigh*

*goes off and plays some SF2 for nostalgic feeling*
http://ots.shiningforcecentral.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Killian22

Post by Killian22 »

I really hope it will be release in north america !! It's a s-rpg and tony tanaka arts and characters are really cool ! The screens looks really cool to !! :)
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

emmm.... it is not a S-RPG
Killian22

Post by Killian22 »

Yes it is ! it will be a lot like Valkyria chronicles. it's srpg but with lot more of action !
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

really? oh sorry :P
Killian22

Post by Killian22 »

Hehehe no probs man :)
Tarethen
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Post by Tarethen »

As I said in the thread I started in All Things Shining, it won't be leaving Japan. Sega has cast aside Valkyria Chronicles 3 for release outside of Japan, and the PSP is virtually dead. Not to mention Shining Hearts did not make it out, either.

It's best just to import and hope someone is nice enough to provide basic control translations.

Oh, and I highly doubt anyone else will grab it, either, because as far as I know, Sega is extremely stingy about letting others localize their titles.
Hawksaber
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hawksaber »

Spoiler
I wonder if the Dark Dragon that's mentioned in the plot description on Wikipedia has any connection to Dark Dragon from the original game? Probably not.
sbloom85
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by sbloom85 »

Killian22 wrote:I really hope it will be release in north america !! It's a s-rpg and tony tanaka arts and characters are really cool ! The screens looks really cool to !! :)
Seriously doubt it. Of the umpteen Shining titles that have been produced, only six have seen North American shores.
Hawksaber wrote:
Spoiler
I wonder if the Dark Dragon that's mentioned in the plot description on Wikipedia has any connection to Dark Dragon from the original game? Probably not.
Maybe... maybe not. Dark Dragon was mentioned, and briefly shown in Shining Force Neo, but you never actually fought him. I don't think I would've wanted to even if I had to, I'd leave him to Unicron or Galactus.
Megaman

Post by Megaman »

Sorry for bumping but there's a few screenshots and some info about the game here: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/20/sh ... intrigued/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to be going in a better direction than before.
Jup
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Jup »

If its going to be lame like the others the hell with a us release. sounds bad but someones gotta say it. Im really getting tired of terrible Shining wannabes...
daveyd

Post by daveyd »

Jup wrote:If its going to be lame like the others the hell with a us release. sounds bad but someones gotta say it. Im really getting tired of terrible Shining wannabes...
It's no "Shining Force 4", but it still looks like the most promising Shining title since the Saturn era. At least it's not a hack n' slash "action RPG". I'd buy it.

It would be great if SEGA would bring back Camelot to make a proper Shining Force game or better yet just sell them the rights, but I don't see that happening... :(
StorMyu
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by StorMyu »

Just played it a bit,
This game is good.

Chapter 2, just went through all the tutorials, first city.
A very good use of the Valkyria Chronicles system (+ some new stuff of course).
Perpoose
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Perpoose »

I'm not familiar with Valkyria Chronicles...is it a strategy/tactical RPG?

Also, wasn't a new Shining game supposed to be announced in the packaging for Shining Blade? Has anyone confirmed what this new game is?
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

Perpoose wrote:I'm not familiar with Valkyria Chronicles...is it a strategy/tactical RPG?

Also, wasn't a new Shining game supposed to be announced in the packaging for Shining Blade? Has anyone confirmed what this new game is?
it's Shining Force Cross Elysion (readed in a topic of All Thing Shining)
StorMyu
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by StorMyu »

Perpoose wrote:I'm not familiar with Valkyria Chronicles...is it a strategy/tactical RPG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3EB0dmRJP0

Just check this out and you'll see, Shining blade really uses the same strategy/action RPG from this game, and so far it's looking amazing.
With lots of adds of course, specials skills, you can take one character with you when walking (very useful for Links attack and also to go further in one turn)
Ok it's in Japanese but for once a good strategy Shining Force like Feather... that's good to me.

And I don't know about the new game, some say it's a browser game or something... we'll see...
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

sulfuroxp wrote:

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW do they keep selling enough of that crap to warrant SEQUELS!? :damnit:
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
daveyd

Post by daveyd »

Kalkano wrote:
sulfuroxp wrote:

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW do they keep selling enough of that crap to warrant SEQUELS!? :damnit:
Isn't Shining Force Cross an arcade game? Arcades are actually still big in Japan.

I just wish SEGA would realize there's still a market for the series in the West. Obviously we're not going to get an arcade game in North America and we're very unlikely to get SH or SB this late in the PSP's life span. Only Atlus USA, Aksys, and XSEED are still willing to publish PSP games.