Shining Force Exa: Anyone Ever Try This Game?

Discuss the followup to Shining Force Neo on the Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

EricLegacy21
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Anyone Ever Try This Game?

Post by EricLegacy21 »

Just wondering because I saw some good things on it and some negative, and it would be great to hear from the clan of Shiningeers themselves ^^
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Re: Anyone Ever Try This Game?

Post by Chaos Wizard »

I played it from start to finish only twice which is pretty low for me.

I liked Neo more simply because of the fact I hated having to keep two parties leveled to defend against monsters coming at the fortress.

All and all though I thought it was a pretty kick ass game.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

I liked it better than NEO, but that's really not saying much. It's just another generic action RPG with the Shining Force name slapped on it.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Trovador
The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Post by Trovador »

Well, I just played it once.
As an action game SFExa seems to be a good game. It looks like a MMORPG (Many MOnster RPG :p)
@trovadordasgerais (Instagram)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCwUmnfrpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

How exactly is it generic?

I've heard this before, and people compare it to Gauntlet. I also don't get that, as gauntlet really does have nothing else to it but slashing at tons of monsters. If anything it's expanding on the hack n slash RPG in a new way.

Though I do agree that neither game should be called Shining Force.
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

One of the worst games i've ever played. :shock:
I just wonder what "exa" means. Probably, "exa" is the only cool thing in the WHOLE game.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

Chaos Wizard @ Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 am) wrote: How exactly is it generic?

I've heard this before, and people compare it to Gauntlet. I also don't get that, as gauntlet really does have nothing else to it but slashing at tons of monsters. If anything it's expanding on the hack n slash RPG in a new way.

Though I do agree that neither game should be called Shining Force.
Eh. Maybe its just the fact that it is a hack n slash game that makes it feel generic, as I'm not a fan of the genre, and they all feel very similar to me.

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

I agree that the game play is a bit repetitious, but I like the way they pulled it off.

NEO had some references to the first two Genesis games, but EXA didn't have any really, it was even more so a rewrite of the original series. I'm hoping they do more games they'll bring some new elements to the table and some new monsters as well.
Rachkir
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Rachkir »

it is worth playing. I have Neo and Exa(had) for PS2- I paid retail full price for them, 49.99, mainly because it just so happened there was only 1 on the shelve when I bought them.

I figured " OH WOW< a new shining game, which I havent played since SF2, since I never had a Saturn or Sega CD.

I paid full price on them, for 2 reasons, couldn't find it used and I thought it would be rather Rare to begin with. Since I was aware of them being typically a Japanese release only series, and being the first to come out on PS2 (and last I think) they may have value long term... I recall buying SF1 on ebay for 40 bucks back in 2000'ish. Booklet and case w/ new battery.

SO I Was extremely pumped, and extremely let down for obvious reasons. I remember trying so hard to see if it would fit at all into the story line, and it seemed like it was going to, but nah. more like a rewrite of some sorts.

I like to think of these games as an alternate universe of the one we know and love, where conflict rages in 1 universe, it will be echoed across them all.

Similar to Michael Moorcocks " Mulitverse"

Getting of topic. Play it, hate it, but most importantly.... Play it at least once. Rent it - or buy it if u can find it cheap enough.
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

The alternate universe thing is what I've been saying since screenies of Neo came out. People don't listen... :(
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

I know! What if we just think of these games as taking place in an alternate universe? :)

Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Rachkir @ Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm) wrote: I paid full price on them, for 2 reasons, couldn't find it used and I thought it would be rather Rare to begin with. Since I was aware of them being typically a Japanese release only series, and being the first to come out on PS2 (and last I think)
Nope, to both. Shining Tears was the first of the series to come out on the PS2. Shining Wind seems to be the last.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Rachkir
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Rachkir »

Rachkir @ Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:52 am) wrote: I like to think of these games as an alternate universe of the one we know and love, where conflict rages in 1 universe, it will be echoed across them all.

Similar to Michael Moorcocks " Mulitverse"
Its obvious that it's not the same universe ---

@ chaos wizard and kalkan
Its obvious that your sarcasm isn't lost either.

Its obvious that I'm referring to my own thoughts on 'the alternate universe'

Instead of it being an alternate universe, I prefer to think of it as a Multi Universe, meaning if one thing happens in 1 Universe, it will be echoed throughout each universe in teh Multi-verse.

So, you get a rather similiar storyline from Neo ---> SF1

Its the events of SF1 being echoed in another Universe, in the most likely/probable way for that particular Universe. They have force arts, we have force spirits, etc etc.

So if anything, you may think its an alternate universe, which is fine. I prefer to find a reason for it instead of just telling people "OMG I said that a year ago"
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Welcome to the internet.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

Omega Entity @ Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:15 am) wrote: Welcome to the internet.
:)
Bulzome
~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Post by Bulzome »

I found it to actually be a little easier than NEO. I can't say that I was too crazy about the story, but it was definitely a fun game.

This one actually changed from NEO because
Spoiler
you actually get to fight Malxatra (spelling)
Where in NEO:
Spoiler
you didn't get to fight Dark Dragon
That kind of upset me a little.

I'd probably say that overall, it was very slightly better than NEO. (Although I liked them both)
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

PSN: TheGreatBulzome
Guntzlegend42
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Guntzlegend42 »

Pappets @ Thu May 27, 2010 12:44 pm) wrote: I just wonder what "exa" means. Probably, "exa" is the only cool thing in the WHOLE game.
Exa means one quintillion of a base unit.
Prepare to meet your worst nightmare!!!
... Jogurt?!?!?!?!?!
sbloom85
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by sbloom85 »

I've played it as well. I have mixed feelings about it, since I haven't played it in nearly a year. My biggest complaint was the fact they recycled maps and music from Neo.
Now playing: Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Wisdom
Fox

Post by Fox »

I also gave it a play through a few weeks ago as I was curious. While I like it a bit better than Neo its still only a lackluster excuse for an action RPG. One thing I thought was better in this game were the references. In Neo they felt so forced that I ended up hating the fact that it could ever have the "Shining" name on it but with Exa I thought it was handled a bit better. I'm still sad when I look at this and Neo and see the direction Sega went with the series.
Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kaihaku »

If I ever come across a cheap copy at a yardsale or thriftstore, I'll pick it up...but I can't see myself giving it a try otherwise. Not that it's a bad game but...it just doesn't stand out enough.