All Things Shining: Shining Wiki needs you

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Shining Wiki needs you

Post by Martin III »

If you haven't checked out the Shining Wiki recently, here's a summary of what's been going on.

The founder, Mr. Kraken, disappeared this past February. I tried contacting him through several avenues and had no success, so I petitioned Wikia Community Central for admin rights to the Wiki so that the assorted admin stuff could be taken care of. They approved, so I've added admin work to my list of stuff to do on the Shining Wiki.

And here, if you're interested, is the list of things the editors on the Shining Wiki have been doing this past couple months:
Spoiler
1.We've greatly expanded the articles on the playable characters of Shining Force CD. Many characters had no articles at all, and nearly all the rest had little to their articles beyond their names. This project is still in progress, and after that there's still the enemies and NPCs of SF CD, but a LOT more info is there now.

2.I(yes, just me in this case) have been doing the same thing with Shining the Holy Ark, though on that front there was a lot more work to be done - none of the characters had articles! - and I haven't made as much progress. However, the central characters of StHA all now have articles with a respectable amount of info.

3.We've added a bunch of new articles on the character classes of the series.

4.We've done major corrections on most of the articles on games. Bizarrely, up until recently these articles consisted of copy-and-pastes from a now outdated version of the Wikipedia article on Shining Force III - even the dungeon crawler and Action RPG entries of the series!

5.Needless to say, Cullsoft gave the Kyantol and Foxling articles a much needed fix-up, as well as a general overhaul and expansion.

6.There's been a decent amount of information on the characters of Shining Force Exa on the Wikia for a while now. The trouble is, few people may have noticed it, since whoever created those articles managed to misspell about 2/3 of the characters' names. Suffice to say, we've fixed that, so check those articles out! (And expand them if you can; they have a decent amount of info, but can use a lot more.)

7.I've corrected the spelling of Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon in the article title and have been going around fixing the various misspelled references to it.

8.A couple of the Shining Tears articles have been expanded.

9.We've fixed up or expanded many of the articles on SF3 Scenario 1 characters.

10.I've merged all but one of the duplicate articles created due to misspellings of the article subject, and deleted most of the articles which had no content or consisted of false information(for example, there was an article called "Werefox").

11.Similarly, I've gotten rid of many categories that were misspelled or had no purpose.
Unfortunately, there's a much larger list of things still to be done.

Main problem is that, aside from Shining Force Gaiden I, we have almost nothing on any of the Japanese-only games. Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3, Shining Wind, Shining Road, and Shining Force Feather all need articles on their characters, locations, etc. and even a lot more info on their main pages. Shining in the Darkness also needs a lot more attention, and we're still missing articles for most of the character classes.

So, I'm firstly giving a call out for all you Shining experts to come and contribute.

Secondly, in order to try and make this an organized effort, I've been opening up some discussions at the Shining Wiki's forum on certain issues. So, anyone who's editing the Wiki should come and check that out. I'll post more topics as I run into more decisions that need to be made.

That's about it. I'm hoping to get the Shining Wiki in respectable shape for the SOS campaign, but obviously it'll take more than two or three editors on the job to get that done.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Shining Wiki needs you

Post by BoneIdol »

Just out of curiousity is it just stuff like SF characters, locations, items, spells etc. that you want to add to this wiki, or would you like information on game mechanics too?

I could probably throw together a pretty informative article on friendships in SF3 (especially since I can back up the claims I made in my friendship faq with hard evidence now).
TheUnknownMarine
Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Post by TheUnknownMarine »

At some point I should probably add the massive amount of information gained from the translated character books.
The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

http://www.thehungersite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

DragonmasterDon: Have you heard the story of theunknownmarine?
I thought not.
It's not a story people in Mature Discussion would tell you.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

BoneIdol @ Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm) wrote: Just out of curiousity is it just stuff like SF characters, locations, items, spells etc. that you want to add to this wiki, or would you like information on game mechanics too?

I could probably throw together a pretty informative article on friendships in SF3 (especially since I can back up the claims I made in my friendship faq with hard evidence now).
Articles on game mechanics are definitely desirable, yes. Thanks for bringing that up.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

T300
Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Post by T300 »

I'm In (T300)
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Well, I've got a preliminary article together for friendships, but the sodding site isn't wanting to let me add the bugger for some reason. I've had to copy and paste the source from the advanced editor to avoid losing all my work. :(

If I need edit permissions or something, my account is BoneIdol. If it's just generally being a pain, the source for the article is:
Spoiler
CODE Friendships are a game mechanic present in all Scenarios of Shining Force 3. As characters assist one another in combat they become more attached to each other and confer bonuses to nearby allies whom they share a friendship with. These bonuses grow as allies become more attached to one another

==Friendship Levels==

*'''Ally'''
: Starting friendship level. Characters recieve no bonuses.
*'''Partner'''
: First friendship level. Characters recieve a small bonus to stats when they are adjacent to one another.
*'''Friend'''
: Second friendship level. Characters recieve a mediocre bonus to stats when they are adjacent to one another.
*'''Trusted'''
: Third friendship level. Characters recieve a large bonus to stats when they are adjacent to one another.
*'''Soul Mate'''
: Final friendship level. Characters recieve a large bonus to stats when they are within 2 squares of one another.

Note: once 2 characters reach a higher level friendship, the bonus overwrites the last bonus; they do not stack.

==Friendship Types==
Shining Force 3 has 9 different types of friendship bonuses that characters can bestow upon their allies. Some characters will bestow upon other characters.
*Attack - Grants a bonus to a character's Attack statistic.

*Defense - Grants a bonus to a character's Defense statistic.

*Magic - Bonus to characters' power of spells.

*Magic Resist - Grants a bonus to all of a character's elemental resistances.

*Luck - Grants a bonus to a character's Luck statistic.

*Critical - Increases likelyhood of a character performing a Critical Hit when they attack.

*Counter - Increases likelyhood of a character performing a Counter Attack when they are attacked.

*Evade - Increases likelyhood of a character Evading an attack.

*Succumb - Decreases likelyhood of an enemy performing a Critical Hit when they attack a character.

{| border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="width: 100%;"
! scope="row"|
! scope="col"|Ally
! scope="col"|Partner
! scope="col"|Friend
! scope="col"|Trusted
! scope="col"|Soul Mate
|+'''Friendship bonuses at different levels'''
! scope="row"|Attack
| +0
| +5
| +7
| +10
| +15
|-
! scope="row"|Defense
| +0
| +5
| +7
| +10
| +15
|-
! scope="row"|Magic
| +0
| +2
| +4
| +6
| +8
|-
! scope="row"|Magic Resist
| +0
| +15
| +17
| +20
| +25
|-
! scope="row"|Luck
| +0
| +1
| +1
| +2
| +2
|-
! scope="row"|Critical
| +0%
| +15%
| +17%
| +20%
| +25%
|-
! scope="row"|Counter
| +0%
| +15%
| +17%
| +20%
| +25%
|-
! scope="row"|Evade
| +0%
| +15%
| +17%
| +20%
| +25%
|-
! scope="row"|Succumb
| -0%
| -15%
| -17%
| -20%
| -25%
|}

==Friendships granted by each character==
'''Scenario 1'''
{| align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="width: 100%; height: 553px;"
|Synbios
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Dantares
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Masqurin
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Grace
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|-
|Hayward
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Obright
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Irene
|Magic Resist
|Counter
|
|-
|Julian
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Cybel
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Eldar
|Evade
|
|
|-
|Kahn
|Magic Resist
|Counter
|
|-
|Noon
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Justin
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Horst
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Penn
|Evade
|Luck
|
|-
|Rattchet
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Frank
|Counter
|
|
|-
|Hagane
|Magic
|Counter
|
|-
|Murasame
|Magic
|Counter
|
|-
|Fynnding
|Evade
|
|
|}

'''Scenario 2'''
{| align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="width: 100%; height: 553px;"
|Medion
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Cambell
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Syntesis
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Uryudo
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|-
|Waltz
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Rock
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Bernard
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Zero
|Evade
|
|
|-
|Hazuki
|Magic
|Counter
|
|-
|David
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Hedoba
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Julian
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Donhort
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Hera
|Magic Resist
|Counter
|
|-
|Robby
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Arthur
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Garosh
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Jade
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Penko
|Evade
|Luck
|
|-
|Pappets
|Critical
|
|
|}

'''Scenario 3'''
|Julian
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Gracia
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|-
|Donhort
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Kate
|Counter
|
|
|-
|Rogan
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Edmund
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Isabella
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|-
|Brigit
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Cyclops
|Counter
|
|
|-
|Rollie
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Thousand
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Leon
|Defense
|
|
|-
|Honesty
|Succumb
|
|
|-
|Produn
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Harold
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Pendolf
|Evade
|Luck
|
|-
|Spiriel
|Attack
|
|
|-
|Jubei
|Magic
|Counter
|
|-
|Primula
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|-
|Marky
|Magic
|
|
|-
|Turk
|Critical
|
|
|-
|Unoma
|Magic Resist
|Counter
|
|}

'''Premium Disc'''
{| align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="width: 641px; height: 32px;"
|Jane
|Magic Resist
|Luck
|
|}

==Friendship Growth==
Friendship growth is expressed numerically in Shining Force 3.

*Friendships grow when 2 characters attack the same enemy. This only happens with the last character that attacked the enemy - if a character attacks an enemy that has been hit by 4 characters, friendship only improves with the last one that attacked. Attacks can be physical or magical, and status effecting spells count as an attack. This yields 1 point on a successful hit, 2 points if the enemy was killed and 0 points if the attack failed to connect.

*Friendships grow when 1 character heals another with Magic. This always yields 1 point.

*Friendship growth stacks among multiple targets; casting Aura will yield 1 point with every character healed and having 2 characters using offensive Magic on multiple targets will stack the friendship bonuses.

*Stat-boosting spells, such as Support and Resist, do not raise friendship growth unless they are targeted on NPCs.

*Curing status ailments does not raise friendships.

When characters' friendships reach certain values they will jump to the next friendship level. The values are for each level are:
*Partner - 10 points
*Friend - 20 points
*Trusted - 30 points
*Soul Mate - Random Chance of occuring every 15 points after two characters are at Trusted

==Losing Friendship==
Friendships are lost when a character is defeated in battle. When a character is defeated, their friendships with all characters participating in the battle are reduced by one level (e.g. Friend becomes Partner). There are certain situations where a character can die and not lose friendships:
*If a character from a past scenario is currently an enemy character, they won't lose their friendships if they are defeated in battle.
*If a character is defeated by Curse feedback damage, they won't lose friendships.
*If a character is defeated by a character who is afflicted with the Berserk, Confuse or Charm status effects, that character won't lose any friendships.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

BoneIdol @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 pm) wrote: Well, I've got a preliminary article together for friendships, but the sodding site isn't wanting to let me add the bugger for some reason. I've had to copy and paste the source from the advanced editor to avoid losing all my work. :(
Hmm, well this is a puzzler. Wikia did just change over their format, though, so maybe it was just having an off-day with uploading edits. I don't suppose you could give it another try? Maybe try making a minor edit to an existing article first, just to test. Also, what exactly did it say when you tried to post the article?

You shouldn't need any sort of permissions; I created about 20 articles for the Shining Wiki before I got admin rights.

sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:
ExevaloN
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ExevaloN »

sulfuroxp @ Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:15 am) wrote: no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:
Heh, looks like you need to get to work Sulfuroxp!
"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Right, got the sod to work now. Apparently the "Advanced Editor" doesn't work when adding pages (but works when you edit one).

Link to the article is http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Friendships, it still needs work with stuff like linking characters to their pages etc., but I think most of the important stuff is there.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

and the real name of Hiro (SitD) is Max :shifty:
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

BoneIdol @ Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm) wrote: Right, got the sod to work now. Apparently the "Advanced Editor" doesn't work when adding pages (but works when you edit one).

Link to the article is http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Friendships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it still needs work with stuff like linking characters to their pages etc., but I think most of the important stuff is there.
Very nice work! :thumbsup: Reminds me that I should get to making at least a preliminary article on Promotion.
SulfuroXP) wrote:no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:
Yeah, it's hard for people in English-speaking countries to get their hands on a game only released only in Japanese arcades, or on any manuals, official guides, or artbooks for said game. So info and art from those two is a tad scarce.
and the real name of Hiro (SitD) is Max
As discussed in this thread, someone recently discovered through hacking that the default name of the hero in SitD is Hiro; it just fails to pop up when you enter the name.

Christine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Christine »

I only noticed this now, but I'll help. The wiki is a bit paltry in design, but it is a free wiki, so it's understandable.

I'll help mostly with SF3 right now because that's what I'm playing, but I can do some SF1 and SF2 articles later on (January-February, it's usually at that time that I revisit these. I have no clue about the Gaidens. :confused:
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Sweet. The more the merrier. :thumbsup:

BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Would you be interested in a ton of STHA and SF3 statistics that aren't available in various guides (such as exact enemy statistics)?

I'm in the midst of sorting out a ton of data for the SF3 save editor and should soon be able to provide every single enemy's Magic Resistance, Magic power bonuses, Drop rates, Level etc. I've got some half finshed csvs for Scenario 1 and 2 here.

In terms of STHA, the stat editor I wrote provides a lot of info that I don't think is provided anywhere like magic resistance, drop rates etc....

If you'd like, I can write some code to dump all this as a csv or something. I don't think I'm gonna have the time to add these to the wiki myself.

Also, I cleaned up the Friendships article and added a ton of AR codes. If you think they're just cluttering up the article, feel free to remove them.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

BoneIdol @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:00 pm) wrote: In terms of STHA, the stat editor I wrote provides a lot of info that I don't think is provided anywhere like magic resistance, drop rates etc....
Stuff that I am now going to incorporate into Rune's STHA site: http://stha.thewaytoyahuweh.com/enemies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Credit shall be given to you, of course :D
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

By the way, if there's any way to export the data from the Wiki, I'd gladly set up a Wiki at SFC for you to import it into - no more adverts etc.

I did install a Wiki ages ago but never had time to figure out how to use it, and have since moved servers once or twice!
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Well, I just made a csv dump of all the data that's definite. The monster's names are stored in the program so may be a tad fruity. Here ya go http://www.mediafire.com/?aj473z5ncv67oaf

There's also some data I can get ahold of like what attacks each enemy uses, but it's mostly hex numbers, I don't know what each one represents. This is hidden in that screenshot. ;)

--EDIT (just saw Moogie's post)--

Beats me, but wikia's layout seriously annoys me, so I'd be up for incorporating everything to a more traditional wiki. ;) If Martin III is up for it, but lacks a backup/export feature, I could always write a little spider program to grab all the articles and store them as something more portable.
Christine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Christine »

I can help with some wiki coding, if Moogie hosts it. I'm not an expert, but I know my way around it.
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

If everyone's up for it, and it's actually possible to move it over, just let me know what the preferred wiki system is for me to install and I will do so. You can then use wiki.shiningforcecentral.com :)
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie