SFC News: Shining Force III makes top 100 games of all time!

Shining News

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderators: SFC News, Shining Moderators

Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Force III makes top 100 games of all time!

Post by Righteous Force »

wildrosebc @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:51 pm) wrote:The first one or the second one Sin? I absolutely loved the big crowded one. I sat there picking out all my favorite players.
Oh, I was only talking about the cover that made the 100th Games TM (the one everybody is complaining about)... and I didn't know you liked SF3, wildrosebc? (Don't think I've noticed you talk about it yet?)

Also, if you picked up favourites from that wall of characters one, does that mean you played past Scenario 1 too? Or where just stuck picking favourites from Sc.1?
Ashley @ Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:30 am) wrote:Second: I think they know that I would have quit if it didn't go through. ;)
Awesome tactic. I like to use it alot myslef... though most times I just want to quit and 'am just messing with them. :lol:

Either way, glad it worked, especially if it does get us a Camelot or Camelot style SF game again. And the day you do lose you job there without an explaination why from you, we'll now know why.
These days I go by Righteous Force.
wildrosebc
Forever Gabby's
Shining Legend

Post by wildrosebc »

I love it. But I don't talk about it much because my Saturn memory card quit on me, leaving me stranded and unable to play any of my Saturn games.

Mostly I picked out the characters that either fought or appeared in scenario one like Medion. Should get around to getting the translated ones from the site to go further but npt until beta testings over for the new SF2 game.
I'm back!!!!!
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Oh, I'm actually in a simular boat, as my Sega Saturn has been MIA for awhile now along with my Sega Saturn Racing Wheel (racing games just don't feel the same without it).

I still got the 3D Nights Pad along with it's games though. And I am planning on buying my missing Saturn & Wheel soon. That's why I just recently payed for the SF3 trilogy + PD (yeah, I'm a bad boy, as I've been putting my money into a better+dual core computer to handle Sega Saturn (SSF) emulation, instead of my missing Saturn).

Anyways, i'm looking forward to receiving this issue, even though it won't have the SF3 cover (getting "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" cover. My brother has been eyeing & talking about this game series, so it works out). As I love greatest videogame countdowns & it'll give me a chance to view what modern overseas magazines are like?
wildrosebc
Forever Gabby's
Shining Legend

Post by wildrosebc »

Overseas? Where do you live? Thought for some reason you were in the UK.

I don't like playing games in another language. A good rpg is like a good book. If I0 can't read it or if I have to keep looking down at a script its not fun.

Good score on finding the whole deal for SF3. Did some recent checking and they're not cheap.
I'm back!!!!!
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I was born in Romania, though I'm only 1/4 Romanian.

Came to Canada in 1989 (dad fled the country succesfully, on his second attempt & after some rough jail time, when it was still communist). I don't like it here (you get taxed so much here + Canadians don't stick up for themselfs) that much and am planning on moving to the Sates very soon + set myself up to be able to travel as much as possible for the rest of my life. As I do enjoy traveling & observing different cultures. (Plus I plan on spending some time in Germany with some relatives to learn the German language again... going to Japan & learning that language + culture would be very cool too)

When I stared SF3 Scenario 1, I started on the basis that Scenario 2 was like 99% done, and that I wouldn't have to wait much longer too finally play Scenario 3 translated (the idea of being cliffhanged after Scenario 1 didn't seem so bad if I could play at least Scenario 2 roughly translated + Sceanrio 3 translation in near sight). However, after I finished Scenario 2 for the second/third time & Sceanrio 1 for the third/fourth time, to setup the ultimate save file to transfer over, I absolutely could not contain myslelf and played through what was translated of Scenario 3 (like only chapter 1)... but then guess what? After that I couldn't contain myself even more and had to play the rest of Scenario 3 with SFC's script!

This game had me hooked very bad, and the fact that the experience lasted so very long before I finally completed Scenario 3, made it seem like the fun was gonna last forever. I treasured every moment of it and couldn't believe that Camelot made my favourite game 3x (all 3 Scenarios) & yet they still went out and made the PD. This is why I'm so surprised that some Shining fans aren't pleased with what Camelot did with SF3, as it seems like it's the ultimate thing they could to to a Shining Force fan by leaps & bounds.

That year (2009) it seemed like I played nothing but only SF3 from the moment I got up to the momment I went to sleep. Best gaming experience of my life without a doubt + strongly rejuvenated my interest in videogames... though it's kind of a double edged sword kind of thing since I still mostly rather play only Shining related games. (Puts too much pressure on other games to be good :lol:)
wildrosebc
Forever Gabby's
Shining Legend

Post by wildrosebc »

Wow. Got to say when I bought my Saturn it was specifically to play SF3. Of course I found loads of other games for it. But my first Saturn game was SF3.

In many ways I think its one of the best Shining games. Loved the friendship system and the characters and everything else about it.

Good luck with your moving to the US. Got any idea where in the US you're gonna go?
I'm back!!!!!
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

wildrosebc @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:35 am) wrote:Wow. Got to say when I bought my Saturn it was specifically to play SF3. Of course I found loads of other games for it. But my first Saturn game was SF3.

In many ways I think its one of the best Shining games. Loved the friendship system and the characters and everything else about it.
WARNING May contain RANT- including some stuff I may of talked about before? + off topic?

Yeah, yeally? I alwyas thought it was weird for Sega or Nintendo fans of the 16-bit generation to go with the Playstation choice (though I had all three of the major 32-bit era systems as soon as possible >_>. Plus luck enough to have had both SNES & Genesis too). I mean, When PSX came out, I didn't see one game I wanted or liked (including Wipeout, which I briefly tried at at a Rental store where it was setup... still trying to like it/get into it), not until Twisted Metal 2 came out that finally made me want to try a PSX game.

I choose Sega Saturn ASAP because they had a rich heritage of great franchices, which included some of the best arcade games ever (and the most technically advanced too). Plus all Sega games had this special magic + games on Sega systems that could not be denied by a true gamer (well, just not a typical jo-blow casual gamer that's contributing to this videogame downfall that started with this nitche market becoming too mainstream due to the popularity of the PSX, is what I mean). Anyways, I started my Saturn gaming with Daytona USA & never regretted buying this system ever, even though it failed. As I still really love this system the best for some reason?

I know I'm always sounding negative towards S*ny & their PS, but I just hate what they did to the videogame market (what I explained in the last paragraph) + I miss Sega of old.

And in a way, if you are a Shining Force fan (one that's in pain due to no new & true Camelot SF game or at least a Camelot SF spin off in the series), it would seem that you must hate S*ny in some way or another too, no? I mean, if it wasn't for S*ny domination of the market with it's army of casual gamers, Sega Saturn would of still been around, and so would of Sega, Camelot & the true Shining Force as made by Camelot! Or at least one more game in the franchise made my Camelot...

I mean, maybe that's why SFC has S*ny beeped out?
wildrosebc @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:35 am) wrote:Good luck with your moving to the US. Got any idea where in the US you're gonna go?
My brother has a friend that's thriving in Miami. Sounds most excellent to me. And thanks for the best wishes... and sorry for the late reply... just knew this post was gonna take awhile. >_>
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Sinful Force @ Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am) wrote: And in a way, if you are a true Shining Force fan
Good grief. I beg of you... Never, ever use the phrase "true fan" again. I get such a massive twitch whenever I see that phrase. In fact, please lay off the use of "true" in relation to gaming and fandom entirely. It serves no purpose other than to be unabashedly snobby and elitist.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Indeed. Besides that, S*ny isn't the only one to shovel out shit for a system. Every single publisher is guilty of that crime, so it's a rather fanboyish comment to make. And when I say fanboy, it's never a positive term.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Martin III @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 pm) wrote: Good grief. I beg of you... Never, ever use the phrase "true fan" again. I get such a massive twitch whenever I see that phrase. In fact, please lay off the use of "true" in relation to gaming and fandom entirely. It serves no purpose other than to be unabashedly snobby and elitist.
Hmmm, never gave it that much thought. But yeah, sure, I see your point.

I'm taking it out as to avoid this whole "unabashedly snobby and elitist" thing. It sounds so terrible when you put it that way.

In regards to S*ny not being the only one shoveling out crap. I guess it's better to say that S*ny is a company that does not take any risks when making/pulishing games (or approving certain games to be made for their system), unlike Sega.
Diggory
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Diggory »

When these came out, my friend managed to find me a NiGHTs one, I was squeeing over it for a long time, then I saw that ShF3 was in here and squeed more.

I spotted a missing Spiriel, at least two Ninjas and at least two Birdmen, as well as the Produn somebody pointed out to me. The way that everyone was the same size looked a bit silly as well, it made Horst look huge.
I believe in Parallel 6.
Ashley
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Ashley »

The new issue goes on sale this Thursday so there's only about four more days to track down a cover if you still want one. As far as I understand it, all unsold stock will then return to Imagine to be sold on the e-shop, so there may be a second chance in the coming weeks. Keep an eye on this just in case.
Poddster

Post by Poddster »

Just have to tell you my story :)

I live in Finland and last Friday (a week ago) I went to a restaurant with my girlfriend, before we went there she wanted to go to the "academic bookstore" because they had one kind of a "super sale". I said, ok, I can always pick up the new number of Games TM, so we went there, and I headed for the magazines to pick upp issue 101, I couldnt belive my eyes when I saw it, they had not got the new issue yet and there it was, issue 100 with the Shining Force III cover!

I was so happy finding it, to be honest thats the only place I know in Finland that gets Games TM. And now I got the magazine to my (little) collection :thumbsup:
Ashley
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Ashley »

Very lucky! It's nice to hear about another one finding its way to a fan.
gamer_boy

Post by gamer_boy »

Is possble to get some scans of this Shining Force III issue celebration?
Brazilian Websites
http://www.romhackers.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.gagagames.com.br/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foreign websites: http://dorando.emuverse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://traf.romhack.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.romhacking.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
waz

Post by waz »

i'm going to be 100% honest
i love shining force and i'm also a big fan of shining in the darkness
i actually brought my sega genisis to college mostly just to play shining force
also i have an ipad and you can buy the rom of shining force on itunes so i can play it on the go now
but i didn't know the two games were connected
i also didn't know there was a second, let alone half dozen, other shining force games
thanks for the info everyone! :thumbsup:
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

It must be great to find that out after all this time and now know you've got so many 'new' Shining games to play :) Hope you enjoy playing them if you can get hold of them.

Meanwhile, if you're a big fan of the originals, would you be able to lend your support to the SF:SOS campaign? http://sos.shiningforcecentral.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - we're celebrating the series' 20 anniversary with a bundle of fanmail to Camelot (the original developers), as well as videos telling them how much we love the series. The ulterior motive being to try to get them back on board as the developers! There's even a prize draw for everyone who sends a letter/video - some of the prizes are Shining games. Full info on the site.

Oh, and welcome to SFC by the way ;)
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie