Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Flygon » Thu Nov 19 2009 10:10am

I don't see movement rates of 4.5 actually being possible unless the game is modified in ASM.

Why? The movement rate is stored in one byte and well... one byte does not usually make allowances for 4.x.

I can think of a circumvention however: Basically, double all the move rates in the game and divide it by half...

This is assuming the Mega Drive has a division instruction or whatever it is, can a ASM lord help me here? :shifty:
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Nov 19 2009 4:12pm

It has plenty of division support. Although I don't think you'd really need any division to do that. Especially if you're just doubling and halving which is just bit shifts.

Or you could just double the movement rates and have the costs stored already doubled, and just subtract from the doubled rates, no need to divide back again really.

Anyways, yes, that probably wouldn't be that hard other than I don't remember the movement costs being stored in any reasonable manner. Perhaps they are and I've forgotten/haven't found them. I'd need to look into that first.

As far as the exp calculation that probably would be fairly easy, I'll add it to the list of things to do, but I don't know that it will be a high priority.

Edit:

Ok, on the stat caps it's as simple as changing a single byte. But... this allows you to go over 99 MP and end up with infinite MP. Any suggestions on ways of handling it people would like?

For anyone who's interested x24805 is the stat cap. Just change the 99 there to whatever.

The two most obvious things to do are to keep MP capped at 99 or to disable the infinite MP altogether. Perhaps have a couple of optional ways of doing it in the editor...

Also, it will need some testing, but I'm betting that stats over 127 will end up being treated as negative. If that's the case, I don't think I'll be doing anything to change that, so 127 will probably be the max.

Edit:

Yes, stats are negative past 127, so that's probably going to be the absolute max. (Except for HP/MP)
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby tggrng123 » Fri Nov 20 2009 12:52am

One suggestion/ wish would be if we were able to edit spell, weapon, and character animations, but anyways, that's awesome I've been so annoyed at having the HP say ??. Great work Rubix, I love it! :)
I produce music. I can produce multiple genres, from hip-hop/ rap, r&b, rock, metal, jazz, trance, to orchestral and classic and many others. If you need any tracks just send me an email at puremadness_productions@live.com.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF1 Editor Thread
Renatob's Shining Force II NDS Tribute Remake Thread
I produce music. I can produce multiple genres, from hip-hop/ rap, r&b, rock, metal, jazz, trance, to orchestral and classic and many others. If you need any tracks just send me an email at puremadness_productions@live.com.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF1 Editor Thread
Renatob's Shining Force II NDS Tribute Remake Thread
tggrng123

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Nov 20 2009 8:06pm

Ok, text editor has been added, but read only for the moment. I'll see if I'm up to finishing the rest of it tonight.

Major News!

I got the recompression working for the text, so I'm going to get the text editor wrapped up in the next day or two and finally have editable text.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Aynek » Sat Nov 21 2009 7:31am

Is there any way to make monsters always give 49 exp when killed? I tried making the effective level of goblins 255 and they only give 9 when killed, is it possible to make them always give 49 or is that hardcoded and unable to be edited?
Aynek

Postby rubixcuber » Sat Nov 21 2009 7:42am

I'm guessing it's treating anything past 127 as negative. If you set the effective level to 99 it should do what you want, but note that the experience given for dealing damage will go up as well.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Aynek » Sat Nov 21 2009 7:53am

Perfect, set to 127 and it works fine. Hopefully anyways... Hoping by time im ~40 it still gives maxed out exp, but if not i can live with that i sopose.

Also, is there anyway to edit a rom with the state still being usable? IE: I save state at first battle and kill goblin finding out i dont get max exp, is it possible to edit rom, reload, and open that state and still be able to play it with the new level accepted? I remember doing it with the caravan, but it doesnt seem to work with this editor.

Edit: May have found a way around it, it seems the rom keeps track of saved games through edits, so ill just save via the rom and load, seems to sort-of work around my problem.

Edit 2: Also noticed that stats seem to be awfully low, is that a projected level stat, and then after that, level ups are random, or is it per every X number of level ups, thats the average gain?
Aynek

Postby Siel » Sat Nov 21 2009 10:47am

Aynek @ Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 am) wrote:Perfect, set to 127 and it works fine. Hopefully anyways... Hoping by time im ~40 it still gives maxed out exp, but if not i can live with that i sopose.

Also, is there anyway to edit a rom with the state still being usable? IE: I save state at first battle and kill goblin finding out i dont get max exp, is it possible to edit rom, reload, and open that state and still be able to play it with the new level accepted? I remember doing it with the caravan, but it doesnt seem to work with this editor.

Edit: May have found a way around it, it seems the rom keeps track of saved games through edits, so ill just save via the rom and load, seems to sort-of work around my problem.

Edit 2: Also noticed that stats seem to be awfully low, is that a projected level stat, and then after that, level ups are random, or is it per every X number of level ups, thats the average gain?

Your characters will get highest possible amount of EXP as long as the enemy is at least 3 levels above your character. If your characters can kill anything in one hit, then just being one level less than the enemy is enough. As for the enemies' levels, it seems you'll need to restart the battle for the changes to take effect, so save a state right before entering a battle.

(By highest EXP possible, I don't mean it'll always be at 48. EXP just seems to not go higher once the enemy is 3 levels above your character.)

The stat growths you see in the editor are the projected stats gained when level 20 is reached. Thus, to get an approximate stat total at level 20 unpromoted, just add the character's unpromoted growth to their base stat. For a promoted character, take that previous value, multiply it by 0.85, round that number down, and add their promoted growth unto that number. After level 20 promoted, I've seen it been said/written/typed that the gains are seemingly random. Also, a character promoting will always have their stats reduced to 85% of what they're supposed to be at the level they promoted at, even if you gave them enough power potions to reach 99 ATT.

Example:
By default, Max's base ATT is 6. His unpromoted ATT growth is 17 and his promoted ATT growth is 23. At level 20 unpromoted, he should have about 23 ATT without a weapon equipped. I think there's a variance of up to 25%, capped at 4? If he promotes at level 20, his ATT will go down to 19 (23*0.85). Once he is raised back to level 20, he'll have about 42 ATT, with some variance again.
Lv 01 U: 06
Lv 20 U: 23 (6+19)
Lv 01 P: 19 (23*0.85)
Lv 20 P: 42 (19+23)

Regarding growth types (early/late/early-late/linear) though, I do not know how those work yet. Linear is probably very linear, though.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Aynek » Sat Nov 21 2009 11:04am

Thank you, very helpful. Figured it was that way, as thats roughly how SF2 is as well, regarging the random level ups passed 20, or 30 as it is in SF2. Didnt know it was 85% of their lvl 20 un-promo stats that effected their promoted stats tho.
Aynek

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Nov 23 2009 6:22pm

Ok, so I got distracted by Assassin's Creed II and the new Mario game this weekend and didn't quite get the text editor finished, but, um:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLDiLt8PK8

Edit: Fixed the ROM expansion so sizes past 2 MB don't screw up SRAM anymore and added the search and editing capabilities to the text editor, although no saving yet.

The only barrier left for saving the text really is just where to put it. I think the text editing is going to require an expanded ROM and I'll just reserve a chunk for the text data maybe 4 or 8 times the original size.

I guess I'll probably have the option to specify where to put it like some of the other data, but it's big enough that it's probably easier just to leave it be.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions...
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Flygon » Wed Nov 25 2009 5:30am

I still think just storing it as uncompressed makes the most sense, at least, until people start hitting the 4mb limit.

I don't think implementing bank switching will be very fun for any of us.
The hexman of #sf2hack
The hexman of #sf2hack