SFIII Translation Project: FAQ: Read This First Before Asking Questions!

READ THIS FIRST

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

FAQ: Read This First Before Asking Questions!

Post by Swalchy »

Please do NOT post in this thread. It is for reading only

Beta released sections of the Translation Project
Scenario 1: Chapter 1 Only
Scenario 2: Chapter 1 Only
Scenario 3: No Chapters

Please refer to this topic if you have any questions or queries regarding the Shining Force 3 Translation Project.

If you cannot find an answer to your question, please feel free to post a new topic.

1. What is the Shining Force 3 Translation Project?

The Shining Force 3 Translation Project is a fan-based project engaged in the translation of a Sega Saturn game named Shining Force 3. Even though Sega did do a translation, it was only for the first Scenario (there are three Scenario?s altogether). The Sega Saturn was at the end of its life, and Sega didn?t feel there was a need to cough up the money in order to pay for the final two Scenarios? to be translated. Because of this, they also purposely mistranslated a lot of the first Scenario, to make it seem like it was ?complete.? Because of this void, a group of us fans have joined together in order to provide an English patch for each of the three scenario?s, to correct the translational errors in Scenario 1, but to provide a complete English translation of Scenario 2, Scenario 3 and a special, final disc named the Premium Disc, which was only issued to those who sent 3 special ?proof of purchase? tags to Camelot (the official coders of the game), which now goes for sale on EBay for up to $100.

2. How does the English Patch work?

The English Patch works by taking the original disc?s (Scenario 1, 2, 3 or the PD) and creating an ISO file of them, whilst replacing the Japanese files from the original disc with English ones in the ISO. This ISO can then be burned to a CD and played on a Sega Saturn using either the Swap trick (search YouTube for Sega Saturn Swap Trick to find lots of video?s showing how this is done), or on a Sega Saturn that contains the Mod Chip, that allows burned CD?s to play on an official Sega Saturn (do not ask about how this is done - it is illegal and this Website does not in any way, shape or form endorse or encourage illegal activities), or using one of the several Sega Saturn Emulators, such as SSF, GiriGiri, or Cassini.

3. How far along the Translation are you?
Please refer to the thread named the Progress Report in the Shining Force 3: Translation Project sub-forum. This thread is updated regularly, if there has been any such progress in the translation.

Note: Any threads asking about how far along or complete the Translation Project is will be locked and deleted. There is no need to constantly ask this question when the Progress Report thread already answers this question for you.

4. When is an updated patch coming out?

We aren't working to a set time limit, so patches are released sporadically, and only when it is felt that the patch will add a significant update to the already released patch. Please don't post topics or posts asking when a new patch will be coming out. They come out, when they come out.

5. How do I patch my official Scenario 1, 2, 3 and PD Disc?s?

The first thing to note is that the patch for Scenario 1 will only work on US or PAL Shining Force 3: Scenario 1 discs. THE PATCH WILL NOT WORK WITH THE JAPANESE SCENARIO 1.

With regards to how you patch your discs, please refer to the README file that is created when you download the SF3Patch.exe file from the Shining Force 3 Translation Project FTP. It explains everything you need to know with regards to applying the English Patch.

6. How do I play the English Patched ISO?s on my Sega Saturn Emulator?

Each Emulator should come with its own ReadMe file on how to play Sega Saturn games on it. Please refer to them before asking a question here. Although SFC forum member and Shining Force 3: Translation Project team member Lord Oddeye has put together a quick SSF Emulator Configuration Guide here. Please follow the instructions there on how to play Shining Force 3 on the SSF Emulator without hitches.

7. I have found a translation error/spelling mistake/incorrect grammar/bug/etc; who do I notify?

Unless your error/bug is in a section that has been released as a Beta, then there is no need to tell anyone about it. Each section of the Translation goes through a rigorous review before it is released as a Beta; any places that have not been released as a Beta have not gone through the official review, and are more or less a preview so that the game can be more or less playable. If you do find an error in an officially released Beta section, then there will have already been a topic made regarding the Beta section, so please post a message about the error/bug in there. There is no need to create another, separate topic with regards to your specific error/bug that you have discovered. All errors/bugs found in Beta sections will be fixed as soon as possible from the point of time when the error/bug has been brought to light. Saying that, there is only one error that we should be notified about, whether its a Beta or Non-beta released section: these are errors that make the game crash completely. Please notify us about all such ?fatal errors?, so that they can be fixed pronto.

8. I have a problem playing my Patched file. What can I do?

First of all, please make sure that you have checked that it is not a hardware/Emulator problem. If it is not, please re-download the latest patch files from the FTP and re-patch your disc, and try again. If you are still having a problem, make sure whether it is in a Beta released section, or a Non-Beta released, section. If it is in a Beta-released section, then please post a message in the topic dedicated to that section. If it is in a Non-Beta released section, then just use your original Shining Force 3 disc to go past the error/bug, then save, and then re-use your patched file. Again, to repeat; DO NOT POST NEW TOPICS REGARDING ERRORS/BUGS (except Fatal) FOUND IN NON-BETA RELEASED SECTIONS. Thank you.

9. I?d like to help the Translation Project; who do I notify?

The Shining Force 3: Translation Project is always looking for people to help with what is a very long process. Although all we really need now is Japanese to English translators, and a plethora of Beta-testers, to test each Beta-released section in as many different ways possible to check that there are no serious errors before the section is released to the public. Please post a message in this topic if you would like to help. You should get a rapid response from one of the current English Patch team.

This topic may include updates from time to time
Last edited by Swalchy on Tue Mar 22 2011 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
the tall guy
Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Re: FAQ: Read This First Before Asking Questions!

Post by the tall guy »

Stickified.
“I can resist everything except temptation”
Hawksaber
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hawksaber »

Question, I've followed the instructions to patch scenario 3 up, and it didn't work. Scenario 2 patch worked fine, but scenario 3 patch is just giving me DREAM 107 etc numbers in everyone's text box. I don't have script at all. Any solutions or ideas to what's going on?
Julian
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Julian »

Shit, didn't know my brother was signed on, that was me there. haha
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Follow the read me to update to the current files before creating the ISO.
Julian
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Julian »

Files were updated, but here's the order this was done:

Downloaded the patch, added scenario 3 files from my disc to sc3 folder in patch files, then added current patch files to the same folder. Then I created the ISO by double clicking the D:/ drive. this didn't work so I then tried to E:/ drive, this also didn't work.

I mounted the cue file right after the ISO was made with Daven tools. Still a no go, Every script line reads "Dream 105" "Dream106" "Dream107" etc... The game is reading fine, just no script?!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

I stand by my previous post.

There is nothing in the read me about pulling files from your disc. Follow it exactly.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Why are you posting questions in this FAQ? There's a bagillion other topics talking about how to apply the patch =/

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Julian
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Julian »

I honestly don't understand, I post somwhere else and I'm told to come here, and then I finally come here and I'm told there's other topics to post in, I'm now confused... I couldn't get it working last time I tried and pulling files ended up working for some reason. I guess I'm gonna have to try and reinstall again.

Problem fixed... did it all over, went perfect the second time. Only thing not showing is the title. I won't post here again, I'll look for the closest post to my topic?
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Julian @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:23 pm) wrote: I honestly don't understand, I post somwhere else and I'm told to come here, and then I finally come here and I'm told there's other topics to post in, I'm now confused... I couldn't get it working last time I tried and pulling files ended up working for some reason. I guess I'm gonna have to try and reinstall again.

Problem fixed... did it all over, went perfect the second time. Only thing not showing is the title. I won't post here again, I'll look for the closest post to my topic?
You were probably told to come and read this topic. And if you had read it completely, you would have noticed this line:
If you cannot find an answer to your question, please feel free to post a new topic.
A "new topic" is not "a post in this thread".

And under Number 5 of the FAQ, you would have noticed this:
With regards to how you patch your discs, please refer to the README file that is created when you download the SF3Patch.exe file from the Shining Force 3 Translation Project FTP. It explains everything you need to know with regards to applying the English Patch.
Which LF had to repeat for you, pointing out to read the Readme file.

Problem is, we've answered your question a gazillion times for numerous other people, and it's getting very annoying having to repeat ourselves time and time again for the same things. Hence why there is a Readme file with the patch program that you download, and then this FAQ topic as well to answer the most frequently asked questions.

It's why people really do need to read things fully before asking us the same thing, again. Hopefully, when the TP Website is up, we can explain things a bit easier

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Julian
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Julian »

I understand your frustration, and I apologize for being a burden. It's just the fact that I read the read me doc over and over, and It kept doing the same thing in the end, so you can see I was a bit frustrated and inpatient at the same time, So once again, no stress intended, good luck on the completion of the project..
Drizzt

Post by Drizzt »

Sorry for not posting this here in the first place.
I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help? Unfortunately I only speak English, but I could certainly assist with proof-reading of any kind, or other jobs which involve seeking out errors etc?
zhangwei

Post by zhangwei »

Hello, i am a newbie here. I want to ask some question regarding the FAQ no.2 above.
Is the provision under the FAQ no.2 that stating "...by taking original discs..." can be interpreted as "by downloading an ISO file from various web..."?
Thanks.