Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Neo
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How will NEO be remembered

in five years time?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Re: How will NEO be remembered

Postby ShiningLover » Sat Apr 14 2007 3:05pm

HI. Shining force neo arrived to me, the same day i made my last post here, and guess what: I quit the game the next day. All those long and boring dialogues are really annoying, the game system is boring as well. Only the musics are great. And the story as nothing to do with the shining series. "I want to be a Force??!" Now what the heck is this? Shining force is about Inovators and Vandals.
This game is just an RPG with the name shining force, and that's it. Nothing more.What a shame. I dont understand why this game is in shining force central.
ShiningLover

Postby Tarethen » Sat Apr 14 2007 3:36pm

ShiningLover @ Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:05 am) wrote: HI. Shining force neo arrived to me, the same day i made my last post here, and guess what: I quit the game the next day. All those long and boring dialogues are really annoying, the game system is boring as well. Only the musics are great. And the story as nothing to do with the shining series. "I want to be a Force??!" Now what the heck is this? Shining force is about Inovators and Vandals.
This game is just an RPG with the name shining force, and that's it. Nothing more.What a shame. I dont understand why this game is in shining force central.

Shining Force 3 deals with Vandals and Innovators. If you play more than a few seconds of SFN, you'll see that the story follows the pattern exhibited by Shining Force 1. Things are substantially different, but analyzing closely leads to some shocking similarities.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Sailorcancer » Sat Apr 14 2007 4:19pm

Well I've had the game for a year, and was SO CLOSE to beating it, but the data got corrupted and I had to start ALL OVER AGAIN!

But as far as it being remember, it most likely be one of those games that got released, but no one really pays attention to.

But it will most likely be remembered. Because its a shining title so it will be associated with the series, so if someone looks into the shining series they'll see it.

Than again there really aren't any young people getting in to it =/
Sailorcancer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShiningLover » Sat Apr 14 2007 5:42pm

I guess the game got so popular cause its name is SHINING and also because of SHINING FORCE CENTRAL.

My honest opinion is that this game is boring. I dont mind its an action RPG instead of tactical like shining force 3, but those dialogues are just annoying. I thought i was gonna see vandals,etc. Well, i only played till that part where Max and Meryl find a little girl with a dog face :) :) :) in the snow, i think she's called Chiquitita. I stop and defeated the invasion from Legion to chiquitita's town, but then, after this, i just stopped.
I think im gonna buy shining tears. I hope this one's better.
ShiningLover

Postby Flaming Manakin » Mon Apr 16 2007 11:53am

Rremeber, we are talking about how History will judge it, not so much what people think of it now.

I thnk that it is destined to be remembered for the wrong reasons, although the fact that EXA has appeared and he Neo mould is continuing, may mean that a new genre of Shining Force is established and it is that whole genre which will be compared to the SRPG genre.

And I think that that will go down as the time when a distinct and original series became assimilated into a mushy middle ground of generic reasonable quality games and lost the previous distinctiveness and originallity that made it stand out from the crowd.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaos Wizard » Mon Apr 16 2007 9:15pm

I think it will be remembered in a negative light by purist die-hard shining force fans. But I think it will be remembered as a fun game, and a beautiful one at that by others who may have picked up the title.

Although it wasn't a Strat RPG like we all wanted. I thought it was a very enjoyable game. An alternate universe to Shining Force. It put an interesting twist on the series. I don't think it's the death of the series at all, I think it's just a new direction like it or not.

Here I think the majority will continue to talk shit about it until they roll over into their graves. In some respects I like it more then EXA and in some respects I think EXA is a superior game. Both games storylines differ from each other and the now classic series, but are both enjoyable. That's the way I think most people will remember either one of those games.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Fri Apr 27 2007 7:26am

No one will remember this worthless pile of excrement in 10 years' time. Sorry.
The weak can only speak of justice but the powerful can deliver it.

The good will inherit the Earth.
The weak can only speak of justice but the powerful can deliver it.

The good will inherit the Earth.
Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Fri Apr 27 2007 7:39am

I doubt 90% of the people that play the games are even 2% as extreme as you are on the shining series, or most anything. But I suppose that is a possibilty.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby TKTOWA » Tue May 01 2007 9:18pm

Neo will be remembered as "that game with the cry-baby, and no, not FF10".
TKTOWA

Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Postby Kaihaku » Thu May 10 2007 2:48pm

The "How" should be struck from the title of this thread.

Yet, it will be remembered, if only because of this sub-forum. :thumbsup:
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 15 2009 7:04am

It won't be too long until it will have been five years since its Japanese release date (March 24th 2005). I don't think the general consensus will change very much in a year's time.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Tue Mar 17 2009 12:10pm

I'll forever remember it as the game that, if it hadn't existed, EXA would have been awesome.
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Wed Mar 18 2009 12:14am

Dr. Casey @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:04 am) wrote: It won't be too long until it will have been five years since its Japanese release date (March 24th 2005). I don't think the general consensus will change very much in a year's time.

He wasn't asking about five years after its Japanese release date. And January 2012 is still a long way off.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 20 2009 11:21am

Yeah, I just ignored the real meaning because I'm impatient and wanted to post that. :(
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby percy_hutchins4 » Wed Mar 25 2009 2:44pm

wow I hope that it is remembered as a really great RPG. cause thats what it has been for me. I hesitated to by it for 60 bucka for well over a year, found it in a pawn shop not to long ago an Ive been at it in my spare time since. the game is great. yea I miss the old turn base style, but this game still kicks ass. I will buy exa after I beat this one. Hopefully in the future well get a turnbased SF but untill then I have the game gladius so all is not lost.

Postby TKTOWA » Fri Mar 27 2009 4:57am

I liked it. I don't normally like hack/slash of any type, but this game was fun because:
A) It's easy(which is a nice break sometimes)
B) There's lots of stuff to do(if you're crazy about maxing out stuff)
C) The voice acting sounds awkward at times, offering a good chuckle.
TKTOWA

Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Postby Meldebious » Sun Jun 28 2009 5:35am

I thought it was fun to play (and yes I beat it), but only when the only other fun thing I could think of was to beat my self in the face repeaditly. But yeah....

But no really, it was fun. I enjoyed it because I could just chill back and kill stuff.
Meldebious

Postby swordandshield » Sun Jun 28 2009 10:30am

It was fun for me, all the ridicule towards it is only because it isn't like the Sega platform games, which I find to be pretty silly reasons because games can't stay the same forever and Sega only wanted to add fresh new elements to it. I kind of liked the change from an SRPG to a hack n' slash. It was refreshing, fun, and it reminded me of Diablo II in a way and it even brought back some nostalgia even though I still have the game and can play it if the mood arises. It isn't perfect and that needs no declaration but it excelled in it's own way for a game that continues to bring life to a long legacy of the Shining series.

It could just be the fact that I like the Diablo II feel to it and that I can easily get into hack n' slash games but I don't think that's the case because it felt much different. It felt like a Shining Force game just not with the strategic feel and no turn based battles but you still actually needed to resort to tactics, those legion hives were no joke and tactics was an absolute must for the Y-Arm one, the Arc Dragon could destroy you if you simply strolled on in expecting to beat it with ease.

The OST is another thing that I liked in the game especially the Ice Cavern theme, Cantore Village and Dark Castle and most of the others, like the battle themes.

Also who cares about the voice acting you could turn it off and just read the text. It wasn't that bad, it wasn't anything like some of the old chinese kung fu movies I've seen so it was tolerable in that aspect and pretty funny to listen to.

The game had a lot to do in it and a lot of different ways to customize your characters and make them truly unique for your specific taste and very versatile with switching Max between mage and warrior depending on what was being fought.

It was just fun, the plot was somewhat interesting and the story with Vandolf was engaging and easy to understand. I only wish you could have actually fought the Dark Dragon at the end which was one of my biggest pet peeves but Vandolf made for an interesting final boss. I personally think it should be remembered as a good game, not one that isn't good only because it isn't like the older ones but to each his own ofcourse.

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Dec 09 2009 10:51pm

I second what Chaos Wizard says. I think it all depends on whether you liked the new formula or not.

When I played the game, I enjoyed it becuase it was something new and different. And although the repetitiveness tends to wear one down, I didn't think the game was bad.

Now could it have been better? O yes.
"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
ExevaloN

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Thu Dec 10 2009 7:58pm

I don't care for the new Shining games the same as I do with Sonic on contemporary gaming formats. I do feel, however, that this site needs to cover more on the new Shining games to give these fans a place here.

Moogie doesn't have to do it. Somebody who'll volunteer perhaps.
PSN ID: thepeaguy
PSN ID: thepeaguy
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Neo