Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Last boss of book 1

simpy hard

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Last boss of book 1

Postby Kizaharu » Wed Oct 04 2006 7:25am

Alright so im playing on normal mode and im having trouble beating the last boss. I can go through the first battle usually only loosing 1-3 people, and I did the thing where you hit Uldol in the second battle with the sword of Hiyaja and then egress so everyone can hit him...but I simply can not beat him. Hes taken me down atleast 20 times. Does anyone have any tactic to beating him?
Kizaharu

Re: Last boss of book 1

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Oct 04 2006 8:30pm

First of all it'd be a good idea for you to use some better gramar. Secondly strategy depends on a lot of things. For instance who's in your Force? What levels are you at roughly?
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Oct 04 2006 10:57pm

Demonic Weasel's right; a lot depends on who's in your force. However, I can offer a few general suggestions, as I just beat book 1 a few days ago myself:

1.Send no more than one fighter and one bowman against Woldol at a time. (Mages aren't much good against him, except possibly if you have one with a level 4 spell - I didn't.) This keeps him from using his frightening Demon Breath on more than one character at once.

2.Keep a healer at hand to step in and heal your fighter and bowman if they get hurt.

3.A Healing Rain or two can come in mighty handy, as well.

Hope that helps. Scorpion Woldol really is one tough boss. Oh, and in case it hasn't become obvious to you by now, you should keep Nick away from him unless you are about to lose the last of your supporting characters.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kizaharu » Thu Oct 05 2006 12:11am

Alright, here is a list of characters im using right now, as well as there levels.

Nick - 18
Ruce - 15
Shade - 14
Wendy - 5
Apis - 14
Cray - 13
Claude - 13
Mayfair - 6
Yeesha - 3
Gyan - 5
Domingo - 9
Amigo - 6

Alot of my casters are lacking in levels obviously. Cant seem to get any exp for them...
Kizaharu

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Oct 05 2006 1:48am

Wow. Well I say that first you just need to redo the battle a few times and work on leveling your really low leveled characters. Make that a priority before you try and take down the scorpion.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Kizaharu » Thu Oct 05 2006 3:31am

I assumed that might be a problem after actually looking at my characters levels. ;) I didint even realize how low they were. So what? Level 20 for all of the fighters ?
Kizaharu

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Oct 05 2006 2:03pm

Try to get the fighters themselves up to level 15 at least. A little higher if you can wangle it. The mages aren't going to be any help if you don't get them up to 15 at least. As it is they won't even have level 3 spells. Although I think Yeesha does and Domingo too...?

And have Mayfair cast heal all the time even if there's no one to heal. Get's her 10 EXP every time and it's a quick way of leveling up. Scorpion Woldol is one of the nastiest bosses in the entire game and you definitely need some more power.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Kizaharu » Thu Oct 05 2006 4:57pm

Yeah when you first get domingo, he comes with Blaze and Frost both at level three. I'll level my guys up some and try again. Thanks for the help.
Kizaharu

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Oct 05 2006 5:41pm

That's probably the real reason you've been going down anyway. You can bit the game with a minimum of difficulty if your force is anywere between level 15 and 20 promoted. Otherwise Woldol as a scorpion is nigh impossible to beat.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby bcs » Mon Oct 16 2006 10:08pm

Fill up your force with healing rains.

Throw out your mages except healers. They suck. Put in melee/archers instead. Keep Domingo.

Use Domingo to block the door from high priest... just attack the high priest for one damage. It will keep healing itself and leave Domingo alone. That way it won't bother heading to heal Woldol scorpion.

Win.
bcs

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Oct 16 2006 10:55pm

The mages don't actually suck.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby domingo43 » Mon Oct 16 2006 10:56pm

They aren't useful in that battle though.
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
domingo43

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Mon Oct 16 2006 11:32pm

They are useful in the battles with Woldol and the Evil Monster, though, and I'm pretty sure that you can't change your party in between those two fights(if someone knows of a way, let me know!). So you might not want to throw them out of the finale.

Besides, they aren't totally useless against scorpion Woldol. They just dish out less damage against him than most of the others. At the least, you can use one of them to block off the recurring Evil Bishop.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Oct 16 2006 11:32pm

Not if they have level 4 spells.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby bcs » Tue Oct 17 2006 2:07am

Demonic Weasel @ Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:32 pm) wrote: Not if they have level 4 spells.

I assure you, they won't, unless you like grinding on Taros, Sentinel, Evil Monster, and normal Woldol for a long, long time.

My force was all melee/archer with Mayfair, healing rains thrown into the mix. level 10-15 and still wiped the floor without deaths. Cray and Sig did a good job with boost and helping Mayfair heal, and their attack was respectable too.

Just surround Woldol with 3 characters (or 4 if needed) that can take a Demon Breath + 2 critical hits (we're thinking worse case scenario here.) Beat the shit out of him while healing as needed. Usually this is Nick, Gyan, Ruce, possibly Sig or Cray, depending on their level. The rest just use ranged attacks or heal/healing rain. He should go down in 2 turns if your force is around level 10ish. Everyone should be taking 1-3 damage if you used Cray's boost, making Woldol easy - the Demon Breath will only hurt. Use Lug to block the high priest.

In book 2, I didn't even use any mages... except May for a while then threw her out. Natasha got thrown out earlier than May. They're pretty bad because monster HP went up the roof. Luke had the highest attack for me in this book, using the evil knuckles, he had 91 atk, followed by Rush. The Evil Knunckles rarely stunned Luke for me, probably only one out of probably a hundred times... I'm either lucky or it's just not as "stunning" as the other evil weapons ;)

In book 3, all I used were melee/archer/vicars. Mages could have gotten level 4 spells easily here, but I still decided not to use them.
bcs

Postby Demonic Weasel » Tue Oct 17 2006 11:36pm

Oh, I know that. I was just disputing the generalization that mages are useless. Since they're not for the rest of the game.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Oct 19 2006 1:38pm

any mage with the demon rod and evil ring can double up as a respectable fighter if needed.

i remember the 1st time i went after the scorpion, i only used Nick. Having played SF2 1st, and remembering the Taros battle, and remembering the achilles sword... you see where im going with this?

I managed it but kicked myself on my second playthrough when i realised that i could damage him with anyone after the initial Hajya hit.. ruce counter attacked him and dealt damage. i was beside myself.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Return to Shining Force CD