Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Tears
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Need some help with stat building and skills

don't know what skills to pump

Discuss Sega's first Shining action RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Re: Need some help with stat building and skills

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 22 2005 3:43pm

my ps2 is borrowed out at the moment, but yes Im pretty sure I had 120 STR and 70 DEX with Elwyn at one point and she was still pretty much hitting the hardest monsters without missing much. She was using Sure-kill Bow which adds accuracy, also I think Elwyn has an inherent boost to her accuracy anyways. See if y9ou clear a map you get your SP back, so I like to get Elwyn maybe something like 50-70 INT (100-140)in the plan to get to lv99, at that point a magic restoration item can fill that up and its not like you had to sacrifice your STR and DEX alot. Here is the question you must ask yourself, the rapid fire is good, but without a good STR you will need to rely on constant rapid fire, whereas if you have a good STR you can have an even stronger rapid fire and you arent as reliant on the rapid fire because you will still be useful even when SP runs out. What I was talking about with elves+archer meaning stereotypically higher dex and less str, I was saying you should probably focus more on STR since she needs less dex. My Elwyn had quite alot more STR than Xion since Xion had to cover his CON needs as well as having a higher need for DEX, typicially their INT was about the same meaning they could last a good while on charge attacks, but mainly were built to be fine without SP too. So because Elwyn needed CON and DEX less she had more energy to put into STR. While the bonuses of STR increases seem small, when you think about how many times your going to hit your opponents and then think about how much you can reduce that amount by becoming stronger its worth it, but remember your defense has the greatest immediate results (CON), so I like bumping that up the most early on.
-/|\-Chrome General Eric-/|\-
``\\--The Shining Legion--//``

3DS FC: 1478-3297-4358

Eric

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ChillinVillain » Fri Jul 22 2005 7:17pm

Exactly, Eric's lalst point is what I was saying with Xion. You're going to want more Constitution (too much is a sense) rather than run short, and being killed too easily. Then when you think you've reached that point of certainty, you can lay off the Constitution and focus more on Strength, and other stats because leater on is when you'll really need Strength.

As for Elwyn, I'll just reiterate what Eric said (as he's correct). Elwyn needs SP, plain and simple, if she's going to be using Rapid Fire, but once she reached that point where 130 or so is enough for each level (because your SP regains when you enter a new level), then you lay off and spend points on other stats. If one stat for Elwyn is going to be relatively higher than the other three, you want it to be Strength. As Eric mentioned, 70-80 Agility to plenty for her (especially when she receives Sure-Kill, as it adds accuracy), so her Strength can be upped signifigantly. As for Elwyn bumping her Constitution up earlier on, I would rely on it too much. Remember she's going to be behind Xion a lot (she'll still get hit of course), so don't spend too many point on it. Actually I think her HP should be about the same as her SP (about 120-155 or so).
ChillinVillain

shining n00b
Shining Hero

Postby Skippy » Sun Jul 24 2005 12:08am

hey guys what skills and stats should i up for keiner ?
Skippy

Postby ChillinVillain » Sun Jul 24 2005 5:38am

Well, I can't really say much about him, as I think he sucks. I'll try though. Let's see, first off he's kind of lacking in the defense department, and he basically relys on his attack power. He's going to need minimal SP, so I would say don't worry about Intelligence. He's not a very fast character, but upping Agility won't hurt as he misses a lot, and gets hit quite a bit. Overall though try to focus more on Strength and Consitition most. Mostly Strength to dig even deeper. He'll need a lot of Consititution to make up for his poor defense and such, depending on what he's wearing as well. But overall, up Strength as much as possible as he relys mostly on his attack as I mentioned.

Now Skills. For his Single Skills, pretty much just put points on Moon Dance. For his Link attacks, up mostly Twin Moon Wave. And spend points on all his Auto Skills. Especially Attack Up and Chain Power, because again, he's an attack based character. Elusion's good if you feel he's getting hit too often, and Stun is always good. For his Skills, focus most on his Auto Skills. Don't work so hard on Moon Dance as he won't have much SP to back it up with, and I wouldn't even worry about Link attack(s) because, like Eric, I don't use much Link attacks (I use them more often when I play with a buddy though, and not the AI).

Again, I don't use him much, and I actually think he's one of the worst characters, so I'm probably not the guy to ask on this one, but I'm always willing to help all I can. Hopefully someone else will have some feedback.

We should actually be using spoilers for Keiner, I think, but it's all good I'm sure. Sorry if we spoiled anything for anyone.
ChillinVillain

shining n00b
Shining Hero

Postby Skippy » Sun Jul 24 2005 6:01am

o crud i completely forgot about the spoilers, sorry if i spoiled anything for anyone. lol i just wanted to use him cause he looked cool. btw are the things sold at the armor shop random, because i can't seem to find things like robes
Skippy

Postby ChillinVillain » Sun Jul 24 2005 6:09am

He actually sucks in my opinion, but I'm sure he's not too bad when he's leveled up.
ChillinVillain

shining n00b
Shining Hero

Postby Skippy » Sun Jul 24 2005 7:10am

how many points should i put on elwyn's anti air ?
Skippy

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25 2005 8:46am

Keiners final weapon is a life stealer. I have tinkered with his skills and most of them are trash, except for his auto skills that is. If you master his good ole, 1-2 attack then just beef up his auto abilities. This allows you to TOTALLY neglect INT. INT which raises MAG was once thought to increase your magical defense, but actually it doesn't have much impact at all as much as the XICE or XFIRE do. To me, his final Agility should be at least 80 to be comfortable, and since he has an evasion auto skill like Mao's along with life steal he should be tough. Otherwise, as Reinhart said bump up CON and STR. Also, if you feel you must have a skill for Keiners, consider a few points into Twin Moon Wave, as thats powerful for a linker, but setting it up is more trouble than its worth perhaps.

Eric

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Skippy » Mon Jul 25 2005 5:46pm

hmm i was thinking of putting all his points onto agi and str and giving him evade stuff like dodge brooch,illusion cape, and a helm with the tricky prefix.
Skippy

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25 2005 8:49pm

Magic will tear him down though. Also if he does get hit, you want him to be able to recover it with his life stealer instead of dieing in 2 hits, where you were doing fine one moment and dead the next.

Eric

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Skippy » Tue Jul 26 2005 3:39am

hmmm good point eric so should i make him a hybrid like xion ? with like 70-90 agi,str, and con ? o and btw do you think it's worth it to up elwyn's con to 52 so she can wear Inviolate Linger ? and also i've just completed normal mode what should i use my skill points on now for xion and elwyn ?
Skippy

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26 2005 9:26am

ya Elwyn at 52 CON is just fine. That armor is a great choice if I remember right. For skills, you can go to level 20 now. I guess I dont have anything new to add. I like my Keiner to neglect intelligence and focus on the other 3, whereas Xion needed all 4 stats to a degree.

Eric

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby White Rose » Fri Dec 02 2005 8:25pm

How about builds for Ryuna and Mao? They seem to be the ones I'm struggling with the most as far as deciding point placement. Ryuna doesn't seem to make use of anything and Mao seems to make use of everything. *laughs*
SFCW II:
Acacia
HP: 79/106
AC: 27, 28 to ranged

Arcdragnbreth: i'm a horny black man eating chicken...
SFCW II:
Acacia
HP: 79/106
AC: 27, 28 to ranged

Arcdragnbreth: i'm a horny black man eating chicken...
White Rose

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 28 2005 5:14am

ok, let me make an update. On my girlfriends file she decided to rely on Keiners single skills more and I discovered an absoulutely awesome strategy, see if you can follow this:
There is a single skill move that attacks all around you at high levels right. Well Keiner's run he holds his sword out in front of him and it attacks people in front of him, you can interupt your run and change directions instantly but pressing and releasing R again correct? Well as your holding down the attack button to charge your attack you can run right through mobs of enemies and kill a few while charging up!!! then once your right in the middle of a horde of enemies you let go of attack and watch everything around you die, true samurai style. Then you hold attack again and repeat. This skill doesnt cost much SP so you can still boycott INT and do this plan, his auto skills are still great but dont neglect this single skill if you like the sword dash move.

Now Mao is in my opinion either the best or 2nd best character. She isnt too powerful but her strength relies in her ability to NEVER DIE. So the very first thing you do, I cant stress this enough is to level up her cicada's shell to 20 if you made it to advanced mode. you will not regret it once you get there, as you will ressurect 99% the first time you "die" and then you will revive 95% of the time after that. and not only that but it restores you to almost full life later on as well. So with Mao you basically have to die maybe 15 times on average before really dieing for the level. So if you thought Cicadas shell is what makes her so darn tough wait till you max out vanishing mist which teleports her BEFORE taking damage, this works for physical attacks, arrows AND YES EVEN MAGIC. Then all you got to do is increase evasion enough for her to dodge even more physical stuff and you will have your own personal tank. You should never increase her INT, but you should just focus on STR and increase your AGI and CON whenver you think they need more improvement. IF you miss twice in a row level up your AGI a few points on the next level and make sure that you can take 3-4 hits before reviving, that way your higher hp works together with your other defensive skills like cicadas shell.

Eric

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Fri Sep 27 2019 7:41pm

Shining Tears World Map for anybody who would like to put the Locations on it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Tears