Shining Force Neo: To buy or not to buy?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

To buy or not to buy?

yes
63%
no
37%

Total votes: 93

Spear God
Shining Member
Shining Member

To buy or not to buy?

Post by Spear God »

Is it better to buy it and encourage Sega to make an another and maybe real Shining Force game or not to buy it to express our disappointment for having denatured our favorite game?
I don't ask if it it's a good game or not...
ITALY WORLD CUP CHAMPION! * * * *
Kimimi

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by Kimimi »

Sega will just think that "Shining Force" doesn't sell if nobody buys it, they aren't going to know that it was passed up because fans are unhappy with the game - sales figures are just that - numbers.
Buy because you like the sound of the game or don't because you don't; the only way to express the feelings you're mentioning is to email Sega directly.

BTW, I'm enjoying the game very much - will do a quick write up whenever I get the chance.
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

If you buy this game, you are showing your support for the direction Sega has taken the series in, and that will only encourage Sega to turn it into a series. That's how the games industry operates. If Shining Force Neo sells well, Sega isn't going to make another "Shining Force" game that doesn't having the same "winning formula". Once SF Neo entrenches itself, Sega will simply expand on that foothold (brand recognition) with more of the same money making gameplay.

For that reason alone I ask fans of the series to boycott Shining Force Neo regardless of however good it might be. Show your support for Strategy/RPGs by buying Fire Emblem for the GameCube instead.
The weak can only speak of justice but the powerful can deliver it.

The good will inherit the Earth.
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by 69 »

Sorry, but I'm buying it. I know it's not a true Force game, but the videos and screen shots look like it will be a lot of fun. In the end that is what matters when I purchase a game.

Duke- What can also happen if you don't show your support is SEGA can scrap the Shining series all together if this one bombs. You really don't think things through do you, because I'm pretty sure not all of us REQUIRE our games we enjoy to be Strat/RPGs. So not buying the game thinking that will get things through to SEGA, that isn't going to work.
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

69 @ Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:03 am) wrote: You really don't think things through do you, because I'm pretty sure not all of us REQUIRE our games we enjoy to be Strat/RPGs.
Not everyone no. But fans of the older games who don't happen to be fans of Dark Alliance/Diablo/Gauntlet at the same time aren't exactly going to welcome this game with open arms.

I'm sure everyone will be jumping with joy when Shining Force Neo 2 is announced.

What bothers me the most is that the guy overseeing this series seems to think that Strategy/RPGs like Fire Emblem don't belong on home consoles, and the people at Sega of America have already hailed SF Neo as an improvement to the original games. Things are looking pretty grim at the moment.

Do you really want to support their narrow outlook on this series? Personally, I see no compelling reason why we all can't enjoy the best of both worlds.

Tarethen
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Post by Tarethen »

It'll be picking it up the day of release. While I'm an avid fan of the past strategy titles in the series, I don't see the problem in a little change. Shining Tears was nice, and I think Neo will be a bit better.

And, I usually don't like action RPGs. I'm more turn-based and tactical/strategy, but I've like what I've seen about Neo, and I've heard nothing but great things from it... Except for those who are far too annoyed at Sega because they use a well known name just to make an action title.
Spear God
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Spear God »

I'm agree with Geoffrey Duke...even if it's a good game, I don't think I'll buy it! Or maybe one day in second-hand...I hope Sega will not use again the word "Force" in a Shining game except for Shining Force 4! They have to become reconciled with Camelot I think, I don't know if Sega is able to do a fantastic real Shining Force game without their help... :fear:
ITALY WORLD CUP CHAMPION! * * * *
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

I don't know if Sega is able to do a fantastic real Shining Force game without their help...
...because Sega have never done anything decent without Camelot, of course.
TKTOWA
Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Post by TKTOWA »

Kimimi @ Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:50 pm) wrote: ...because Sega have never done anything decent without Camelot, of course.
Never! I love Sega and they rock! They still release great games, the only dissapointment right now is what they're doing to Shining Force. Everyone feels it is important to ONLY focus on their mistake and not focus on all their other great games. Shining games are the "little guys" of RPGs. Sure, we all just adore the games but just about everyone else likes other RPGs. Most people havent even heard of the Shining series and even after Shining Force Neo it still wont get its recognition. We have to face that Shining games aren't as popular so Sega has to make changes to appeal to the majority.

It's called business.
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tktowa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TktowaVideos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/TKTOWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alones
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Alones »

TKTOWA @ Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:57 pm) wrote: Never! I love Sega and they rock! They still release great games, the only dissapointment right now is what they're doing to Shining Force. Everyone feels it is important to ONLY focus on their mistake and not focus on all their other great games. Shining games are the "little guys" of RPGs. Sure, we all just adore the games but just about everyone else likes other RPGs. Most people havent even heard of the Shining series and even after Shining Force Neo it still wont get its recognition. We have to face that Shining games aren't as popular so Sega has to make changes to appeal to the majority.

It's called business.
Yeah... they only wants money and money...

And because that they sacrified our beloved shining force to make a new shining force, or, sometimes called, a MIERDA ¬¬
Currently in development: Machina Blade
TKTOWA
Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Post by TKTOWA »

Either way money is money and everyone wants it. If you're not part of the majority you aren't important. Being the minority I dislike as much as everyone else here but squabbling over it and making a fuss is pointless because we aren't that important.
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tktowa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TktowaVideos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/TKTOWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

It's a different story in Japan though where not only are Strategy/RPGs still a popular genre and therefore far from the verge of extinction, but where RPGs rake in the most sales (nothing is more popular than RPGs in Japan). Sega helped pioneer this particular genre (with games like Dragon Force), so why is returning to the development of these games really so impossible to believe?

If Sega has any intention of turning the Shining series into one of its flagship series of RPGs, then I expect Sega to either unveil Shining Force Neo 2 or Shining Force IV at this year's Tokyo Game Show for either the PS2 or possibly even a next generation console.

I know how much many gamers love button mashing their way through Action/"RPGs" today, but that doesn't mean the market should be saturated with those types of "RPGs" at the expense of all others. The tragedy of it all is turn-based RPGs have now become a dying breed because the market has become so dominated by casual players lacking in the patience department.

TKTOWA
Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Post by TKTOWA »

Geoffrey Duke @ Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:45 pm) wrote: Action/"RPGs"
I call them Hack and Slash because they dont have enough to be an RPG. :p
Unless your playing as a mage. Because instead of just hitting X rapidly you have to dodge long range attacks and send them back, that makes it more interesting. Thats why Shining Tears was okay, because you werent always button mashing through a group.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Hi all. I am new to the forums but am a longtime fan of the Shining Force series. Anyways, i registered just so I could post here and chime in on this.

I have seen many titles I have liked sold out for name recognition. I am (mostly) a PC gamer that dabbles in some console titles. On the PC side of things, I have seen this happen many times. Three of the best PC series (XCom, Baldur's Gate and Fallout) had thier names used by the publisher in much the same way Sega is using Shining Force. Like this community, fans wondered what to do about the new titles. Should they buy to support the name of the series they like (known to publishers as the IP or Independent Property) or boycott the title in hopes that the publisher will return to making the title the right way. Honestly guys, you are screwed either way.

First, you need to understand that the people in charge of these decisions are not gamers (at least, not in the hardcore sense). The people making these decisions are business majors. In the words of the great Maddox, these are the jerks who acted like asses in high School, couldnt find work, then went to college and got business degrees so they could figure out how to bs and take credit for other peoples work. They do not appreciate or respect the kinds of games you like. The breed of individuals in charge of these decisions are slaves to industry buzzwords like "accessible," "action packed" and "role playing." Instead of making good games, they try to figure out how to make all these buzzwords happen at the same time (which isnt always possible when you try to make a deep and involving game). When you try to pitch them games that require patience and thought, they reject the idea because it doesnt fit into "accessible." In other words, dont hold your breath for an actual Shining Force by Sega in this market. Maybe if a developer like nippon ichi, who is dedicated to a niche market (a rare thing) owned the IP and self published, then it would happen but this isnt the case.

As to what to do, I will break it down for you. Everyone is right. If you buy action rpgs, then you add to the sale of action rpgs. The sales figures tell the idiot business majors in marketting that action rpgs = $$$. If you dont buy it, they will blame the IP because other action titles sell (damn mass market). Guys, you just cant win. My only advise to you is to make sure to support the kinda of games you like. Buy SRPGs if they are your thing and try not to buy action titles based on hype alone. This, at least, may help you send some sort of message the decision makers can understand though it may take a while for them to get it (if ever).
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

It's ironic that you referenced one of Maddox's comments since he's a Sega and Panzer Dragoon fan himself. I'd love to see him tear apart Shining Force Neo on his site, because with a readership as huge as his, he could send this game back into the fiery pits of hell to burn for all eternity where it belongs. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I don't want to see Sega turn Shining Force Neo into a series, so I will be steering clear of the game.

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by 69 »

Geoffrey Duke @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:35 pm) wrote: It's ironic that you referenced one of Maddox's comments since he's a Sega and Panzer Dragoon fan himself. I'd love to see him tear apart Shining Force Neo on his site, because with a readership as huge as his, he could send this game back into the fiery pits of hell to burn for all eternity where it belongs. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I don't want to see Sega turn Shining Force Neo into a series, so I will be steering clear of the game.
And out of your own ignorance and stupidity you will never play another new Shining Force game again.
Arc_the_Lad
Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Post by Arc_the_Lad »

Nope, doesn't look appealing at all to me.
Its being invaded by the Otherworld.

A world of nightmarish delusions come to life.

My youtube channel of terrible video game talkthroughs.
Odd_Eye

Post by Odd_Eye »

I lik this post... I am been wondering ever since i heard the battle system is like that of shining tears. Whether i should get this game??

Can anyone give me advice on wherther to buy it or not? For Shining Tears, i felt damn bored with it... although the characters are good. i felt that the battle system is really boring me...

So... Whether to buy or not? Anyone with advice?
Trust Your Hopes, Not Your Fears...
Sailorcancer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Sailorcancer »

I'm going to buy it XD I've been waiting for the game for a while and if it's a huge let down then I'll just give it to GameStop. Then again it can be good, nontheless the game is worth renting or borrowing from a friend.
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

Although I am disappointed Neo will not be a 'classic' Shining title, I still will be picking it up due to the fact I thoroughly enjoyed Record of Lodoss on Dreamcast. I can understand being upset, but it almost seems the equivalent of denying yourself Shining Force because it strayed from the original dungeon crawl genre of the first Shining title. I actually enjoy dungeon crawlers more, and was very happy with StHA, but because the next title in the series, SF III, was a strat rpg, I wasn't about to boycott. In the longrun you are only hurting SEGA in general. I think I would slit my own throat had I not picked up Azel Panzer Dragoon because it wasn't a rail shooter. :confused: