Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining the Holy Ark
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

This game has aged so well!

Shining in the Darkness is born again, on the Saturn!

This game has aged so well!

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Dec 06 2017 11:18am

my disc rotted away several years ago and it has always been a thorn in my eye since I loved this game so much. recently bought a disc+manual only copy and have invested 8 hours into it already (hadn't plated it in more than 10 years). my god has this game aged well! the graphics as well. also I can't stand most turn based battle anymore but this game is so much quicker and pixie system is tremendous and I can never get over the dungeon design. this game has the best level/dungeon design out of any rpg ever made.

it's not just one of saturns best rpg's ever made it's one of the best rpg's ever made period and is still tremendous to play today.

also I love how it connects to the shining force 3 games in storyline as well as graphics and interface.
drunkensailor

Re: This game has aged so well!

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Dec 07 2017 12:17am

As somebody who played this game for the very first time ever about three years ago (geez, it does not feel like it's been that long, but thread post dates insist it has), I can attest to the game aging well without needing to worry about my opinion being clouded with nostalgia. From the first time I powered it on, I couldn't put it down during my free time, and found myself anxious to get home and continue every day at work. And that's coming from somebody who generally doesn't care for first-person dungeon crawlers.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: This game has aged so well!

Postby Moondog » Fri Dec 08 2017 12:50pm

i first played STHA when it came out (about 20 years ago now lol), loved it back then. i then bought my own Saturn around 2006, haven't played it in a few years since my Saturn has been packed away for while, or been breaking down due to age.

i've just recently taken a gamble on ebay for a £25 Saturn that was sold as 'faulty' due to the seller not having a cable to connect it to the TV, so was unable to test it, but they had powered it on and the light came on.

i tried it out and it seems to work fine, so i've now bought a SCART to HDMI converter, so should hopefully be playing my Saturn in HD very soon :excited:

any time i've went back to STHA i've always loved how well it holds up too, the graphics and framerate on the worms that come out the ground are still top notch, and i can't get enough of the awesome battle theme.

i've never finished the game (last save was just after beating Rilix so not sure how far that is but pretty far), but i should still have my save on my cart to carry on where i left off and hopefully finish it after 20 long years lol.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining the Holy Ark