Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining the Holy Ark
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining the Holy Ark was poorly finished

Shining in the Darkness is born again, on the Saturn!

Shining the Holy Ark was poorly finished

Postby Pappets » Sat Jul 11 2015 5:37pm

I believe that Shining the Holy Ark was a game concluded in a hurry and it's quality is lower than what might have been. Here are the reasons of my opinion:
- Rodi and Melody fail to dialogue after the battle with Rilix to save the King and Forte at Enrich Castle. There are lots of occasions, and important ones, where they should have said something but they don't, like, for example, when they are at the top of Tower of Illusion with the High Priest performing the ceremony;
- Every character in the party fails to dialogue no matter where, when or with whom after the battle with Rilix. It feels like the party became spectators instead of primary or secondary characters;
- The end of the game is poor because there should have been dialogue between the Vandals and Arthur's party but nothing is said by the party. Only the Vandals, Galm and Elise, talk;
- The ceremony at the top of Tower of Illusion is poor because Rodi and Melody don't say anything and the ceremony is just three big asterisks of different colour and a flash to conclude it;
- The sacred treasures become irrelevant and their power is surpassed by common weapons bought at the shop;
- One of the villagers of Far East Village says that the sacred treasures can be improved but that does not happen;
- At the end of the game we find some weapons and armors with the name shining and force and nothing is explained about them which suggests to me that they were just dumped into the game and i believe that these items might had a purpose like being the improvement of the sacred treasures;
- The game has a few items that were not used but can be accessed by action replay codes which suggests to me that they were put aside intentionally.

The question that i ask is: Why was Shining the Holy Ark finished like this? Has the game become boring to complete? Or did Sega stopped supporting it's development, like they did with Shining Force 3, and so Sonic Software Planning ran out of time and money?
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining the Holy Ark was poorly finished

Postby NekomeKozo » Sun Jul 19 2015 6:03pm

I recently showed off this game to a friend who had no prior experience to the Shining saturn games, and their very first impression was this is totally Not Golden Sun. In the same way that Mighty No 9 is Not Mega Man.

And I can see it. Golden Sun borrows so much from this game, it feels like Golden Sun is kind of a more complete, yet very derivative, take on Shining the Holy Ark. What things it didn't take from StHA came from FF5 (four elemental crystals in peril, on the fly skill raising and mixing, etc), and the rest came from SF3 (play as the "villains" for the second scenario, the heroes in the first, find out that the villains aren't really so in their scenario.)

I can't speak for Camelot's time at Sega, it seems since then there were bridges burned and that's why we have Tony Shining now. But in a way, I think Camelot finished what they were trying to do with Saturn era Shining with the first two Golden Suns.

Can't speak for Golden Sun 3 either, that one seemed uninspired for some reason. Maybe they'd already moved on from RPGs by then.
NekomeKozo

Postby Sinful Force » Wed Aug 26 2015 2:22am

Game doesn't have to be overflowing with dialog to tell a great story. Sometimes less is more. ie. Dark Soul series. As it leaves more room for the imagination to soar in filling in the blanks. So to me Camelot has done one heck of a great job in creating a world I'll never be able to let go.

But will keep what Pappets said in mind, and see what I notice next time I play this game (which should be soon. It's been long enough since I played any Shining games). But from what I remember, game seemed pretty polished to me... maybe I need to look for it purposely to notice it? As I'm always so busy enjoying the heck out of this game each time I play it.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby rid1ey » Wed Jun 07 2017 5:28pm

what were the unused items/data found in the game?

are there any links to this information?
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5797
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
rid1ey

Postby Pappets » Sat Jun 10 2017 3:20pm

I think there's a screenshoot somewhere in these forums showing Akane's inventory with those unused items.
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Tue Aug 29 2017 4:29pm

Pappets wrote:I think there's a screenshoot somewhere in these forums showing Akane's inventory with those unused items.

i did have a look around this section but could not find anything - thanks regardless
rid1ey

Return to Shining the Holy Ark