Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Which version should i buy?

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Which version should i buy?

Postby Saturox » Wed Nov 20 2013 11:06pm

i would like to add this game to my collection but im not sure which one should i buy....the US version (with the Working design translation) or the Pal version?

Is there any major differences in those 2 besides the translation?
Saturox

Re: Which version should i buy?

Postby Rune » Sat Nov 23 2013 1:45am

As far as I know, it's just the translation. Well that and the frame rate difference you always get between us and pal.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby whiterose » Mon Dec 02 2013 7:07am

Since getting the European version, and seeing the mistranslations and other changes that were made in the US version... if you can, buy the PAL version. It probably will be a fair bit pricier if you don't already own a European Saturn since you'll need a way to actually play it; but, if you think the more faithful copy of the game is worth it, that's what I'd recommend.
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Mon Dec 02 2013 8:04am

Oh, you could buy the cheaper version and use a text doc translation. Far more cost-effective.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Dec 20 2013 1:34pm

Buy whichever version you like. Then;

a) download the PAL version if you bought the US version,
b) use "Saturn Region Patcher v3.0" to change it to US region so you can play it at normal speeds via the swap trick off a burnt CD on a Saturn or via SSF Saturn emulator.

This way you always win either way & with correct translation. ... But as a big of a Shining fan of the Camelot only releases that I am, I would really push for getting both. Can never have enough Shining! :)
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Faisal » Sun Apr 06 2014 9:53am

I just wanted to ask why is this game not as famous as the others or is this only my misconception?
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Faisal

The Asian Sensation
Shining Hero

Postby whiterose » Thu Apr 10 2014 1:44am

I guess because it's just so different from the other shining games. It got a lot of flack for this, and for the awful timing of its release, as well. Anyway... SW's like... Zelda-ish, mixed with rpg elements and action adventure. It's interesting, for sure.

It's not that Shining Wisdom is a bad game, because having finally played it myself, I can vouch that it's not bad at all. I wouldn't call it like... amazing, but I actually had more fun than I thought I would, playing it. I went in with mixed expectations of the game and at first, it didn't really do anything for me. After a while though, it grew on me. I think having the properly translated (close to the original Japanese) version helped things, because the US version is honestly pretty laughable. The names were changed (not WD's fault...) the dialogue was sort of... messed around with (additional pop culture refs, etc added in.) but then WD's deliberately changed around some of the dialogue for Sarah and Kazin.

The graphics are also kind of a grey area. The game was supposed to be developed originally for the Sega Genesis/Mega drive, but for whatever reason, it was moved to the Saturn. And I guess the graphics kind of suffered because of this. They definitely are a bit strange to look at. You adjust, but yeah. The music is also a mixed bag, imo. There are some decent tracks, and some downright weird ones.

I'd say give SW a shot and see what you think for yourself, Faisal.
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Faisal » Fri Apr 11 2014 8:10am

Thanks rose for the suggestion sure I will play it after my CIEs have been dealt with :)
Faisal

The Asian Sensation
Shining Hero

Postby Sinful Force » Sat Aug 02 2014 1:48pm

That's a very easy answer. Both!!
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Wisdom