Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Not to Bad

Like or Dislike?

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Re: Not to Bad

Postby Demonic Weasel » Sun Apr 03 2005 11:19pm

The fire elemental has always been the hardest for me.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby The_Great_Waffle » Wed Apr 06 2005 7:01am

I had a game going in Shining Wisdom a long long time ago. Unfortunately that was before I had the external ram card and my battery save died so I lost it. I had gotten fairly far I thought. Even though it took me a week to figure out the Sand labyrinth. >hadn't bothered trying to find the solution on line for the longest time<
"There is no avoiding war. It can only be postponed to the advantage of others." -Niccolo Machiavelli

"I've got weapons guaranteed to knock those monsters heads off!" -Shop keeper in Guardiana Shining Force 1
"There is no avoiding war. It can only be postponed to the advantage of others." -Niccolo Machiavelli

"I've got weapons guaranteed to knock those monsters heads off!" -Shop keeper in Guardiana Shining Force 1

Postby Rune » Wed Apr 06 2005 7:50am

I found that by my second playthrough every boss was a cakewalk (especially Pazort).
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby GOD » Thu Apr 07 2005 4:35am

Pazort should have been tougher than he was.
For the final boss he was pretty weak...
"Evil shines darkest before the dawn..."
GOD

Postby Justican » Mon Apr 11 2005 12:44am

Mr Waffle, you should play the game again. The game itself isnt very long, on my first go, it took a little over 9 hours.

The hardest boss in the game is definatly karry and she was about average comapred to other games.

And yes, Pazort wasent even a challenge, i was very suprised at that and I was reading a walkthough at the time and I though he would of been harder.
Justican

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Apr 11 2005 2:06am

Kari wasn't really hard, it was just that if you made a mistake you would be dead. You were only in danger from Pazort if during an explosion the light obscured the edge of the field. The hardest for me was definitely the fire elemental.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Vyk » Mon Apr 11 2005 2:15am

Wow, I always thought I had posted in here. Just skimmed through (maybe I missed my post?). Either way, I'll join the crowd that actually likes this game. I really don't understand how people don't like it. It's easy and fun. With a lot to do and see. Granted some of the characters and their designs are kinda ugly, but the gameplay was fun. Except for the rapidly pressing B-button all the time. Got kinda annoying, but ya get used to it. I found the game a sort of breath of fresh air. At the time the Shining series had nothing like this. Not saying it's better or anything, but I certainly enjoyed it. In fact it's the only Saturn Shining title I've actually beaten...
Vyk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby GOD » Mon Apr 11 2005 6:49am

Vyk @ Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 am) wrote: Wow, I always thought I had posted in here. Just skimmed through (maybe I missed my post?). Either way, I'll join the crowd that actually likes this game. I really don't understand how people don't like it. It's easy and fun. With a lot to do and see. Granted some of the characters and their designs are kinda ugly, but the gameplay was fun. Except for the rapidly pressing B-button all the time. Got kinda annoying, but ya get used to it. I found the game a sort of breath of fresh air. At the time the Shining series had nothing like this. Not saying it's better or anything, but I certainly enjoyed it. In fact it's the only Saturn Shining title I've actually beaten...

It certainly is a lot different from the others. In a good way too.
Hey, did everyone here use the holy water on that plant in the Millenium tree to reach that cloud level where you can obtain the spring shoes? Or is it Bounce shoes? I can't remember...
GOD

Postby Vyk » Mon Apr 11 2005 7:13am

I don't remember the place, but I remember the shoes, so I must have. I used them to cheat before I got the pegasus helm. If you have a control with turbo you can jump over holes. It's a glitch, you can jump around over chasms and bounce on air without falling down... I beat the pegasus helm dungeon before I even figured out where the dang thing was... lol
Vyk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby GOD » Mon Apr 11 2005 9:57am

Vyk @ Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:13 am) wrote: I don't remember the place, but I remember the shoes, so I must have. I used them to cheat before I got the pegasus helm. If you have a control with turbo you can jump over holes. It's a glitch, you can jump around over chasms and bounce on air without falling down... I beat the pegasus helm dungeon before I even figured out where the dang thing was... lol

Nice trick, I didn't know that.
Yeah, at the milennium tree you can continually re-fill the bottle up with holy water at the top of the tree. A couple of levels down from the top their is a spot where you can pour it into. From memory, I think it says "the plant grew a little", each time until it won't let you pour any more onto it. Leave the area and do another labryinth, quest, etc, and then return. You can now climb the plant into the sky. It's very windy in places up there and you need to use this to your advantage, as well as most of the items in your inventory to finally claim the final prize.
As I said, I THINK it's the bounce shoes, but I could be wrong...
GOD

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Apr 11 2005 11:21pm

It is the bounce shoes. I really don't understand why so many people bash this game. It's great. I remeber the first time I beat it, I was actaually almost dead, but I think that was because I was using the fire orb.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby GOD » Tue Apr 12 2005 6:05am

I think a big reason why people "bash" the game so much, is because at the time it was branded as the sequel to SF on the Megadrive.
But realistically, it is nothing like it.
I think it's a very underated game and the only beef I have with it is the repetitive button pushing to speed up. That was a pretty weak idea, I thought.
I must admit though, I would be interested in seeing a sequel to it, could be interesting...
GOD

Postby Julian » Sun May 01 2005 1:51am

GOD @ Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:35 am) wrote: I think a big reason why people "bash" the game so much, is because at the time it was branded as the sequel to SF on the Megadrive.
But realistically, it is nothing like it.
I think it's a very underated game and the only beef I have with it is the repetitive button pushing to speed up. That was a pretty weak idea, I thought.
I must admit though, I would be interested in seeing a sequel to it, could be interesting...

Very good point actually! It was the change from the 2D classic Shining Games to This new type of Hack and slash Shining Game which people wern't used to.
Julian

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Jup » Thu Oct 20 2005 7:39pm

i though it was alright..of course...not have finished it due to my saves being deleted...
"Time is the Greatest Teacher, Too bad it kills all its pupils"

What did princess Elis do for King Galam for over a year? make him Din din?"

Skunky: Next time when they make the sword I will pay them and then slaughter them with my new sword and take the money back lol
Skunky: A little something I learned from Grand Theft Auto street whores

:thumbsup: :...:

Dude... Myspace is a Cult! JupX
"Time is the Greatest Teacher, Too bad it kills all its pupils"

What did princess Elis do for King Galam for over a year? make him Din din?"

Skunky: Next time when they make the sword I will pay them and then slaughter them with my new sword and take the money back lol
Skunky: A little something I learned from Grand Theft Auto street whores

:thumbsup: :...:

Dude... Myspace is a Cult! JupX
Jup

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Oct 21 2005 11:51am

I'm gonna say "like"... but not much more than "dislike" by a long shot.

The gameplay is fiddly... and I'm not sure whether or not that's from playing it on an emulator with a keyboard, but I'm unlikely to play it any other way in the near future, and that wouldn't help with the annoyance of persistent item switching - especially as I just experienced in the Millenium Tree with constantly switching back and forth between weapon, boots and Monkey Suit. Got frustrating in the end, and right now I'm at Sand Labyrinth, looking like it's going to be a similar fare. Hasn't encouraged to continue with the game. :\

That said, the story's fun enough and it all looks fairly nice, the music (albeit a bit beepily emulated) fits the game, and although it doesn't feel particularly shiny, it's certainly got enough of the shininess. And you've gotta love the Monkey Suit. :D

It's a low scoring game amongst the series for me. Worst of the Camelot games? Maybe... but as it goes, that doesn't make it bad - just the least greatest.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby S3M » Thu Oct 27 2005 9:05pm

I always loved Wisdom, I bought it with my birthday money. Having received Ark as my main present, finished Ark and then went on to Wisdom and was not disappoint.

I've play alot of RPG's in my time and Wisdom is one of the better one's. Certainly better value for money than a single SFIII scenario. It's not the best game in the Shining series however, which is why some people just don't seem to like it.

Plus if you had played all the Mega Drive games I could see why you might be abit disappointed with Wisdom.
Let's Keep the Light Shining FOREVER.
S3M's RPG World
My unfinished guide to Shining Force III
Let's Keep the Light Shining FOREVER.
S3M's RPG World
My unfinished guide to Shining Force III
S3M

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Oct 27 2005 9:08pm

Meh, I played all the megadrive games, and the Gaidens, and some of StHA before I played Wisdom and wasn't disappointed. It all depends on taste.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby The Casper Method » Thu Dec 01 2005 3:17pm

yeah i too got wisdom for my birthday years ago. It was a cool game although them type of rpgs arent really my thing... the biggest buzz i got from it though was seeing Kazin and sarah from SF2 in it. I thought it was a nice touch
Ohhh i wish i had a Kazin Avatar!!!
Ohhh i wish i had a Kazin Avatar!!!

Postby Bower captain of death !!! » Mon Dec 05 2005 8:24pm

i have to say that to me this is undoboutedly the weakest game in the series.
im not saying it's a total wate of space, just not up to par with the rest, they tried somthing new but in my opinion it didnt pay off.
i remember buying it and getting totaly cheesed of with it, swaping it for somthing else, only to buy it again and, got into it a bit more.but still there seemed to be somthing lacking
WE PRESENT YOU FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!!
WE PRESENT YOU FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!!

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Dec 05 2005 9:12pm

Well what was wrong with it? Just saying that it's undoubtedly the weakest game in the series doesn't mean anything...
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Wisdom