Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Not to Bad

Like or Dislike?

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Re: Not to Bad

Postby GrünIgel » Mon Jan 10 2005 12:51pm

I enjoyed the game thoroughly the first time I played it. I had minor gripes like awkward play control at times and somewhat uninspired enemies and boss fights... but one can get around these anyway (oh, and also, no Kazin artwork in the Japanese manual... WHY???). As far as character design and atmosphere were concerned, well, it's Shining.
Now I'm playing it a second time to find the many items I mess... and I'm enjoying it even more. (I thought the monkey suit was cool. Having Mars run around in pajamas is... spiffy!) Talk about replay value. I find it even easier to get into and play than the Force games.

I understand the game got royal trashing at the time it was released. Was that from Shining fans expecting the more sophisticated Force-style gameplay, or by the nerdy general public that demands "3D only"... or both? I find this quite regrettable at any rate...
GrünIgel

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Jan 10 2005 11:03pm

I completely agree with you, while it's admittedly not my favorite game I also have to say that it's better than most people think, way too underrated. One good thing about this is that most all of the characters in it actually had a character. Most other games it's that you make one comment when you join up and that's it, with a few characters that are more fleshed out. Then again all of Saturn games improved this feature.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Kazgaroth » Fri Jan 28 2005 3:33pm

If you consider the graphics and the music, does anyone else think this looks like a Genesis game?
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Kazgaroth

The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shining Legend

Postby Rodi » Fri Jan 28 2005 4:12pm

I've seen that comment many times before and never agreed with it.

SW 2D graphics are much better, detailed and colorful than any MD/Genesis game. And about the music, for me it's obvious that the quality of the sound (not the compositions) are greater in SW than for example the MD Shining games.

SW didn't push Saturn's limit, but it was a 2D game that MD couldn't handle. I'm sure the game would haven been imposible to look, sound and play the same in a 16 Bit system. Even though the difference is not as great as a 3D game such as SF3.

Oh, and I always liked SW's graphics. Looked so "Shining".
Rodi

Postby Dantares » Sat Jan 29 2005 7:09pm

I want it pretty badly. I've seen a scan of the back of the box and the line at the bottom is hilarious.

Back of box) wrote:And succeed you must, for failure will result in the end of all mankind, and that important victory smooch from the princess.

LOL.
"Prepare to die!"
"Prepare to die!"
Dantares

Postby Demonic Weasel » Tue Feb 01 2005 12:09am

That is funny I suppose but I've always found it amusing that there are so many lines that contain sexual references while the game is still rated pretty lowly. I also don't agree that it looks like a genesis game, but it is a great game.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby GrünIgel » Fri Feb 04 2005 2:58pm

The fact this game could have been done with very little sacrifice in the graphics department on a 16 bit system (there are even better looking/sounding games on the SNES)... that's not the point I think. It's still nice to look at, and above all is perfectly enjoyable, so what if it does not tax the hardware... People may have been disappointed because of their expecting so much from a new generation system at the time, but on the whole, this is the same kind of reaction that has been condemning 2D gaming for so many years now...

Aside from this, in what does the Working Designs translation differ from SEGA's own in the European version (which is very "Engrish" yet accurate)? I know about name changes, but are there for instance, the usual in-game jokes WD usually put in their projects? Do they mar the game like they did in other WD translated games?
I guess I could just go and read the script on SFC, but I'd need to be playing at the same time to really feel a difference...
GrünIgel

Postby Basso » Thu Mar 03 2005 3:02am

The game has a very different focus than other shining games I've played. Its good, just in different ways that I happen to still like a lot. There's much more attention payed to the intricacies of puzzles and hidden stuff and there's much more freedom of movement. It still maintains its Shining feel. I guess the focus is much less on the sensory impressiveness with graphics and soundtrack quality, but thats not what makes a good game. It could be more user friendly, but this almost adds to its appeal and challenge. The characters and plot could be more imaginative or deep or something but they both hold their own.

Overall, I think its fun and enough of a challenge to win my approval. Perhaps not as much as the legendary STHA or SF3, but not far off.
Basso rules!

Roooaaargh!
Basso rules!

Roooaaargh!
Basso

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Mar 03 2005 9:33pm

Pretty much agree with what you just said, except that the mazes get easier the further in you go, so they aren't intricate.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Epsilon » Fri Mar 04 2005 12:11pm

Hard in places
Bunch of slack-jawed f*****s around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.
Bunch of slack-jawed f*****s around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.
Epsilon

Vandalier
Shining Member

Postby Demonic Weasel » Fri Mar 04 2005 4:17pm

Generally it's hard at the begining but keeps getting easier.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Basso » Sat Mar 05 2005 2:21pm

I think I have to disagree with what you guys are saying about the game getting easier as you go along. Are you implying that the first 2 or 3 caves and labyrinths are harder than the last 2 or 3? Surely not.

I think if anything, it gets a little harder as you go along. I think maybe you're mistaking this with the way that you get more familiar with the game as it goes along, and so you get more familiar with the types of puzzle and the controls and how to solve things - which can make it seem like its getting easier, when really you're just getting better at the game.
Basso rules!

Roooaaargh!
Basso rules!

Roooaaargh!
Basso

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Moondog » Mon Mar 21 2005 1:11am

i personally loved Shining Wisdom, although i didn't play much of it, i used to enjoy trying to figure out what to do next for my dad when he used to get stuck.
PSN ID - Moondog954

Platinum Trophy #49 - Shenmue
PSN ID - Moondog954

Platinum Trophy #49 - Shenmue
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Justican » Mon Mar 21 2005 1:32am

Basso @ Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 pm) wrote: I think I have to disagree with what you guys are saying about the game getting easier as you go along. Are you implying that the first 2 or 3 caves and labyrinths are harder than the last 2 or 3? Surely not.

Actually in about 70% of all RPG's, espcially action RPG's, this is most definatly the case as you are usually unsure about combat systems and you need to get in the flow of the game.

This game, i would say, would be one of the best examples ive ever seen, and Ive been playing games for nearly 20 year. Shining Wisdom is unbelieveably difficult at the beggining that there is absolutly no challenge at the end of the game, SITD,SS1/2 and STHA also get easier as you play, its only the force titles that get harder really.

This is a shame as many of my shining friends detest this game because its so hard to start out on, and one big reason why it feel so un-shining to me, shining games represent a jump in and have fun routine which wisdom lacks, I usually concider it not part of the series just for this one point, nevermind the story and characters (which are also really bad).

I really have no idea how people are suppose to solve them puzzles at the beggining of the game, its mind-boggling.
Justican

Postby GOD » Wed Mar 30 2005 9:06am

Hard at the beginning???
Where?
This game is easy the whole way through.
How freaky were the hidden things you find though? The daytona car, for example, being the monkey, the orb which made you walk back-to-front (how unuseful was that???).
Driving the Daytona car and beeping the horn was just damn funny though...
"Evil shines darkest before the dawn..."
GOD

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Mar 30 2005 11:44pm

The Gudo Cave/Mystic Woods crossover is usually considered hard, finding the Millinium Tree, and the Sand Labriynth. Those are all usually considered hard whereas the next maze, the water labriynth is really easy, trial and error.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 31 2005 7:09am

Demonic Weasel @ Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:44 pm) wrote: The Gudo Cave/Mystic Woods crossover is usually considered hard, finding the Millinium Tree, and the Sand Labriynth. Those are all usually considered hard whereas the next maze, the water labriynth is really easy, trial and error.

Yeah, as I remember, the sand labriynth was a bit of a pain. Trying to land on the spot where the mole gloves were I believe. That sucked!
I hated the mirror labriynth too...
GOD

Postby Twiggy » Thu Mar 31 2005 11:42am

The mirror labrinth was the hardest, But the problem was that the bosses were all too easy
I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else
I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else
Twiggy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Mar 31 2005 9:26pm

It's true that some of the bosses were to easy *points to Bangar* while others shouldn't have been bosses *points to Nuge*.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby GOD » Fri Apr 01 2005 4:43am

That's a good point...most of them were pretty weak! But who was the toughest? It's going back a bit now but I never used to like the guy in the air labriynth, he used to take ages.
GOD

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Wisdom