Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Do you remember...

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Do you remember...

Postby Martin III » Sun Apr 26 2009 12:52am

Okay, possibly I'm digging up old wounds here, but hopefully this will be interesting and not painful. :)

Do you remember what you thought about Shining Wisdom when it came out? More specifically, what was your reaction to its having radically different gameplay to any previous Shining game? Were you excited by this variety? Put out at not getting another tactical RPG? Unaware that Shining Wisdom was part of the same series as Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force?
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Do you remember...

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Apr 26 2009 1:08am

I remember being really put out. I had only played Shining Force 1 & 2, and just assumed it would be similar. I played it for about an hour, hated it and stopped playing.

I thought I must have got it wrong - that it wasn't part of the same series, as I wasn't aware of Shining In The Darkness back then, hence I didn't know the genre differed.

I came back to it when I found and old copy of Sega Saturn magazine where they had a walkthrough - some of the later stuff looked good, so I decided to play it all the way through. And by that point, I'd joined here for the first time so I knew it was part of the same series, with connections and everything, and therefore felt more kindly towards it anyway.

Anyhow, the full play through was way more enjoyable than I was expecting and it definitely felt more Shiny than I had thought it was on my initial hour several years earlier.

I'm still on my third playthrough at the moment as a part of a 'play-through-all-the-shining-games-in-order' thing. It's still fun although I find the controls annoying as hell! Nowhere near finishing though - although I blame work for taking over my life reecently, rather than any lack of desire to play it :(
"Cold mathematics making its move on me now"
"Cold mathematics making its move on me now"

Postby zexxar » Sun Apr 26 2009 12:42pm

I wasn't really disappointed or anything like this because I first recognized that there's a connection to Shining 2 games when Sarah and Kazin appeared in the game.

Furthermore I was only 8 years old when my father bought it and I couldn't read or speak english at that time, so I never really understood the story except for the things my father told me, that's why I only played that game because I liked the gameplay and not because of it's story.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Bulzome » Tue Nov 03 2009 2:40am

I remember being very excited about my Shining game. I didn't see the review, so I didn't know what to expect. Shining Wisdom looked to be so cool, so I hurried home and popped it in. Amazing intro. I finally get past grandpa and started walking outside. What? No strategic battles? Not even random battles? What is this? I opened up the start menu, then it dawned on me. This game would play like Zelda, except you could change equipment for 3 different buttons as opposed to just one. "No way - that's freakin' awesome". I played it through 3 times in a row. My copy was lost since then. Has anyone gotten 100% of the items? I remember only getting 98% and being stuck there.
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
Bulzome

~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Postby Kazgaroth » Wed Nov 04 2009 2:24am

I remember seeing it on the ironing board with a few other mail ordered saturn games and thinking 'that looks fun'.

I was roughly 9.

Cool story huh?
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Kazgaroth

The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shining Legend

Postby Diggory » Sun Aug 22 2010 10:58pm

At first I just couldn't play the game. It was the Shining game I second most sucked at (after SiTD which I still suck at). I was quite taken up with the plot and I've always thought the music was awesome. Now its probably my favourite Shining game.

I don't get as worked up by Shining games being different to sequels from other series... I think its because I've seen it radically change from the beginning... ShF played nothing like SiTD.
I believe in Parallel 6.
I believe in Parallel 6.
Diggory

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Sat Aug 28 2010 1:20am

Diggory @ Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm) wrote: At first I just couldn't play the game. It was the Shining game I second most sucked at (after SiTD which I still suck at). I was quite taken up with the plot and I've always thought the music was awesome. Now its probably my favourite Shining game.

Yeah, while I don't much care for the game as a whole, the plot really is outstanding. Definitely one of the best stories of any of the Shining games.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Tue May 21 2013 11:33am

the way i say it was "cool another Shining game" it didn't bother me that it wasn't the same style, from the moment i played it i was hooked cos it reminded me of Zelda, Soliel and Story of Thor.

got pretty far on it as a teen too, remember getting the jump ability and monkey suit.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Wisdom