Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Woo-hoo!

Finally getting started!

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Woo-hoo!

Postby Jukebox Hero » Sun May 11 2008 8:53pm

Well, I've finally worked my way up to this game in the series. I actually found the resolve to power through the Shining series back in January (Something I've been wanting to do for a few years now) and have been working on it off and on since then. Thanks to senior year, shows, and other junk keeping me busy, its taken me this long just to get through the Genesis games! But I digress.

Yeah, started this bad boy last night around 2-ish, played through about a half-hour and I'm pretty darned excited. The hit recognition is smooth as butter and the graphics aren't half bad for the time. I don't know why people rip on this game so much, it SEEMS awesome. Hopefully I won't be let down. I think its a nice change of pace between turn-based battles and dungeon crawling (though Shining the Holy Ark has me pretty freakin' psyched).

So yeah, after I finish a paper for class, I'm gonna be on this game like white on rice, baby. Adventure, ahoy!
Don't forget that our world cannot be measured by the rules of common sense, you old Earthlings who forgot dreams.
Don't forget that our world cannot be measured by the rules of common sense, you old Earthlings who forgot dreams.
Jukebox Hero

Re: Woo-hoo!

Postby Martin III » Tue May 13 2008 1:14am

Eh, I think most of the Saturn games around that period looked much better than Shining Wisdom. Compare it to Magic Knight Rayearth and Blue Seed, which came out at the same time and have a similar layout(sprites about the same size and shape, overhead view, etc.), but are much sharper and more colorful.

I think people mainly dislike SW due to the excessive need for button mashing(there's very little you can do in this game without pounding on the buttons until they nearly break), the long time spent wandering between dungeons, and the lack of any excitement in the non-boss fighting. Reviewers feel the need to mention the game's subpar graphics and sound effects, but that's small potatoes after the rest. Also, I think fans of the Shining series tend to dislike puzzles, so since Shining Wisdom is basically nothing but puzzles and wandering between dungeons filled with puzzles...

Anyway, hopefully you won't find any of that to be a problem, because Shining Wisdom has some exceptional points. Nearly all the bosses in the later 2/3 of the game are great fun. For me the game's gaping flaws overrode the rest for the most part, but with luck it'll be different for you.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Jukebox Hero » Wed May 21 2008 2:54am

Well, I'm about to get head into the Mirror Labyrinth and fight the obligatory she-devil Karry, and so far the game is still pretty good. The button mashing sucks. Profusely. I agree. But other than that its a cute little distraction.

I must say, I'm not as pumped as I was before, but enough so that I'm still pretty excited about it. Graphics have never lessened an experience for me, personally, but I do admit this game is not the prettiest girl at the party, especially when you put it up against Rayearth. I didn't know it came out in '96 too. That kind of puts things in perspective a bit. They really could have put some more love into the game's appearance.

I do have a few questions, though. I've noticed some cracks along the cliff walls around Odegan. Is there some way I can break those open? Also, the obscenely green bushes look like they can be burned or something, but the fire orb obviously doesn't burn anything outside of those few trees. If anyone can give me a heads up on those things, that'd be awesome.
Jukebox Hero

Postby zexxar » Wed May 21 2008 6:46am

Jukebox Hero @ Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 am) wrote: I do have a few questions, though. I've noticed some cracks along the cliff walls around Odegan. Is there some way I can break those open? Also, the obscenely green bushes look like they can be burned or something, but the fire orb obviously doesn't burn anything outside of those few trees.

The cracks in the cliffwalls can be broken with the Stoneshoes just walk towards them with the Stoneshoes equipped and then use them.

And for the grreen bushes you need the Blast Orb which you will find soon.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Jukebox Hero » Thu May 22 2008 12:16am

Hah, well that just makes all kinds of sense! I didn't even think to try that. Thanks!
Jukebox Hero

Postby wcxabyo » Thu May 07 2015 1:40pm

Is this a glitch or is there some special ability I'm gaining that I don't know about in exchange for punching? ???/
raza
raza
wcxabyo

Postby wcxabyo » Thu May 07 2015 1:40pm

get head into the Mirror Labyrinth and fight the obligatory she-devil Karry, and so far the game is still pretty good. The button mashing sucks. Profusely. ???
raza
raza
wcxabyo

Return to Shining Wisdom