Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wisdom
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

I just finished Shining Wisdom...

and this game is f***ed up

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

I just finished Shining Wisdom...

Postby Trovador » Sat Mar 09 2019 4:22am

How did people in Camelot came with this game? I used to say that Shining Soul was the worst Shining game I ever played. Now I wondering if I leave this title of "worst Shinig Game" to Shining Wisdom (I never played Tony Taka's Shining yet - I never wanted to).

I thought I would have a repetitive strain injury after beat Pazort! :damnit:

At first I found it a bit disappointing that I never fought the Giant soon after I beated Pazort (as it usually happens in the other games), but then I was grateful. It could make my wrist fall from my arms.

Besides this, the story isn't good, the level design isn't good either and the soundtrack is aweful. I was wondering: how did man who made such great songs to Shining Force 2 (Mitula's theme is my favorite) and that masterpiece called "The Another Story of Shining Force" came up with this soundtrack? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

And guys.... it was sooooo disappointing to find out that Kazin was friendzoned.

I had the feeling that Camelot made this game in a hurry, or maybe SEGA forced them to make a Zelda clone and the made this as a revenge.

(is it coincidence that the evil giant is called Seeega? :confused: )
Last edited by Trovador on Sat Mar 09 2019 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
@trovadordasgerais (Instagram)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCwUmnfrpE
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Re: I just finished Shining Wisdom...

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Mar 09 2019 3:23pm

This game was meant to be a mega drive game at first, but when saturn showed up, sega wanted more saturn titles, so they changed the project. It could be a powerful mega drive game and turned into a mediocre saturn game.

I just can play it in emulator, with a turbo function to dont need keep pushing buttos, just holding.

I like the soundtrack and story is in classic shining level, my only complaints are with game design and graphics.

The seeega part is a joke from sega europe I think (or america, dont remember) its not in original game, where the giant is unamed.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Sat Mar 09 2019 5:38pm

The music is superb are you kidding?

Just Fey's welcome tune alone makes it a 10/10...

You got stuck in Sand Labrynth for 10 hours too long, eh? That music on serious loop makes you homicidal admittingly...

I think you gotta play it in 1996 or 1995. It was probably created in 1994 to be honest. Back then the open ended open world access to everything was refreshing after the stiff strategy titles.

The graphics are not even that bad bar some generic enemy designs.

Play it again and again till you love it Dude!

Opinions *sigh*
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Trovador » Sat Mar 09 2019 10:10pm

DiegoMM wrote:This game was meant to be a mega drive game at first, but when saturn showed up, sega wanted more saturn titles.

I didn't knew that. Isn't this almost the same history behind Shining Force 3? They were making the game for Saturn, then Sega suddenly showed up with Dreamcast.

Now I'm wondering: Wasn't Camelot paying attention to Sega's schadule or was Sega such a jerk with their devs? :confused: :confused: :confused: No wonder they left Sega. Their development rhythm was kind of out of Sega's pace. :roll:

DiegoMM wrote:I like the soundtrack and story is in classic shining level, my only complaints are with game design and graphics.

IMO the soundtrack is way worse then SF2 and SFCD. Mitula's Theme is one of my favorite game songs ever :love: :love: :love: . And I :love: the songs from Shining Force CD. I think Shining Wisdom tunes are emotionless most of the time, and sometimes they are really annoying.

I think the story is bad even for Shining Force standards. I mean... it doesn't start that bad, but by the middle of the game it gets lame.

And about the graphics .... I think, except for the intro, it is not that bad. It isn't good, but it is passable.

rid1ey wrote:You got stuck in Sand Labrynth for 10 hours too long, eh? That music on serious loop makes you homicidal admittingly...

Yes! I got stuck in that labyrinth..... and that tune plays again in a later labyrinth. And what about that chimp tune? Holy sardines!!! :angry:

But I also got stucked in another labyrinth... Now I can't remember if it was the labyrinth of Air or Light. All I know is that I couldn't high jump high enough and neither fly fast enough becouse my wrists were acheing.

rid1ey wrote:I think you gotta play it in 1996 or 1995. It was probably created in 1994 to be honest.

Well... I still think this game is a bit unnecessary.

Wouldn't be better for us players (and maybe even for Sega) if we had a Crusader of Centy 2 instead Shining Wisdom? Most of the time I felt that SW is more a spiritual sequel to Centy (or a spiritual prequel to Golden Sun) than a sequel to Shining Force.

rid1ey wrote:Play it again and again till you love it Dude!

If I play that much I'll lose my sanity or my wrists. :mwahaha:
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Mar 10 2019 1:58pm

Yeah the relationship between camelot and sega are not good because sega was a jerk. All games are made with a given short period of development, they rushed almost all shinings, I think we dont know how a shining game would be if not being rushed lol.
When they start making SF2 sega offered the same amount of money they did for Sf1. Yes, sega didnt rise a cent, and expected a better game that sell good.

-----
You talked about Centy, but this game was made by Atlus, and back that time Atlus was not part of sega yet, so no relation with Wisdom, camelot or Sega.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Sun Mar 10 2019 3:26pm

Yeah the Chimp Tune is proper goofy.
I think the illustrations for the game should also get a mention ...the dark elf designs really stand out so does the cover art with the ruined castle. So cool!

This game could not have been that rushed but more likely low budget. It probably transitioned through 32X too much like Shinobi Legions/X.

Soliel as we call it was such a great game. I mentioned on the boards before but back in the day I'm certain I saw an article with game stills about Corona befriending ALL dragons (not animals) and the developers changed that through production.
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Rune » Sun Mar 10 2019 11:05pm

I think any of us that enjoyed the game at the time had a turbo controller.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Tue Mar 12 2019 11:41am

DiegoMM wrote:You talked about Centy, but this game was made by Atlus, and back that time Atlus was not part of sega yet, so no relation with Wisdom, camelot or Sega.

not Centy was made by Nextech, the spiritual successor of Centy for saturn is Linkle liver Story made by the same staff and sharing many gameplay element (and actually Shining Tears and Wind have been made by the same studio)

Atlus was just the US distributor of Centy
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Mar 12 2019 1:49pm

Yeah, thats true. Thanks chev
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Sat Mar 16 2019 6:44am

chevkraken wrote:
DiegoMM wrote:You talked about Centy, but this game was made by Atlus, and back that time Atlus was not part of sega yet, so no relation with Wisdom, camelot or Sega.

not Centy was made by Nextech, the spiritual successor of Centy for saturn is Linkle liver Story made by the same staff and sharing many gameplay element (and actually Shining Tears and Wind have been made by the same studio)

Atlus was just the US distributor of Centy

thanks for reminding me of this - there is an English patch available I might add.
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Trovador » Mon Apr 15 2019 1:35am

rid1ey wrote:I think the illustrations for the game should also get a mention ...the dark elf designs really stand out so does the cover art with the ruined castle. So cool!

Yeah.... I totatly agree. As far as I can tell, the cover art is maybe the best of the series. And some artworks from the manual are also really cool.

Unfortunately the game is so lame.

chevkraken wrote:not Centy was made by Nextech, the spiritual successor of Centy for saturn is Linkle liver Story made by the same staff and sharing many gameplay element (and actually Shining Tears and Wind have been made by the same studio)

I'll look for this game right away!
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Postby chevkraken » Mon Apr 15 2019 3:10pm

Trovador wrote:
rid1ey wrote:I think the illustrations for the game should also get a mention ...the dark elf designs really stand out so does the cover art with the ruined castle. So cool!

Yeah.... I totatly agree. As far as I can tell, the cover art is maybe the best of the series. And some artworks from the manual are also really cool.

So True, I loved Hiroshi Kajiyama art, And As He was like Tony Taka a famous Erotic Artist in japan(With a style sharing many aspect of Tony Style for his modern work) and was a regular artist of Camelot, I was hoping seeing him as the chara designer for a New Shining force by Camelot.

So Sad he died last year
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Sun Aug 11 2019 2:08pm

I liked the game as a kid. It was one of my first Sega Saturn games. I did want to play a Shining Force title, though.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby tfhb02 » Mon Sep 16 2019 12:20am

Working Designs also made a lot of weird decisions. Having a whole internet movement of hackers called unworked designs which are based around reverting your bizarre localisation efforts is a weird legacy. They never got around with that with this game, unfortunately.
tfhb02

Return to Shining Wisdom