Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Freeze 3 for SF Gaiden 2 on the Game Gear

is it an actual glitch

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Freeze 3 for SF Gaiden 2 on the Game Gear

Postby PennDestruction » Mon Oct 09 2006 12:58am

I know I've mentioned it a couple times, but is the damage that freeze 3 deals in Shining Force Gaiden 2 for the game gear a confirmed glitch, or was it intended to deal in the range of 50 damage? It seems so overwhelming compared to all other spells in the game, and wipes out almost all my characters except for Higins and Rush.
†‡† Loading Swag,Haters Please Take a Seat...██████████████]
...99%. †‡†
...99%. †‡†
PennDestruction

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Freeze 3 for SF Gaiden 2 on the Game Gear

Postby Rusty » Mon Oct 09 2006 1:16am

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Given how utterly broken it is, I would guess not. (May is far superior to Natasha in Gaiden 2 for this reason alone because May learns it almost immediately!) It's fixed in Sega CD, though.

(I can't speak for Gaiden 1 as I have not played that one long enough, either, but I am curious on whether or not this weirdness happens in that game as well.)
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Great Paladin » Mon Oct 09 2006 3:24am

yeah!! It wipes out all my members in one hit!! And i thought i sucked in this game. Thank God there is only one that casts freeze in each level
Great Paladin

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Oct 09 2006 4:57pm

Wait until you reach the fight with Death Woldol before you complain about Freeze 3. Anyway my guess is that it's not really a glitch given how consistent it is. But I may be wrong.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Mon Oct 09 2006 6:46pm

Great Paladin @ Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:24 am) wrote: yeah!! It wipes out all my members in one hit!! And i thought i sucked in this game. Thank God there is only one that casts freeze in each level

Well, I guess it does make things fair from the opposition's point of view, as by then Marian and Natasha have probably been creaming half of the enemy troops with their L3 spells. I know they certainly did in my games.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby PennDestruction » Mon Oct 09 2006 11:38pm

The damage was deffinately a blessing and a curse in my game. As Natasha and May were amazing, but to fight Death Waldol I ended up having to send each of my individual characters on a suicide march (except for Higgins, Rush, and Rhode who could actually take it due to their high resistance)Rusty mentioned this, but does anyone have a clue if the damage for frz 3 is the same in Gaiden 1 for the gg as well?
...99%. †‡†
...99%. †‡†
PennDestruction

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Tue Oct 10 2006 6:40pm

PennDestruction @ Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:38 pm) wrote: Rusty mentioned this, but does anyone have a clue if the damage for frz 3 is the same in Gaiden 1 for the gg as well?

From wht I recall, no; I think it was pretty much unique to SoH (though on a further curiosity, was the bug unique to the non-Japanese versions, or across all versions of the game?)
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos » Wed Oct 11 2006 9:32am

Demonic Weasel @ Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 pm) wrote: Wait until you reach the fight with Death Woldol before you complain about Freeze 3. Anyway my guess is that it's not really a glitch given how consistent it is. But I may be wrong.

Personally I find this to be the toughest battle in all of the Shining Force games I have played so far. SF Gaiden 2 is lots of fun, but this glitch ruins the game a little bit for me.
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
Chaos

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Oct 11 2006 4:31pm

Actually I appreciated the glitch. It made the game much more difficult. Which is fun for me...
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Dregnus » Wed Oct 11 2006 6:22pm

Sword of Hayja was the first Shining Force game I ever played (I was about 9). So I shocked when the rest of the games didn't have this.

I firmly believe its intentional, given that Blaze level 3 has the same affected range and also does more damage (about 23-25 if I remember correctly). The more powerful magic is also a double edged sword as, if you use May to wipe out everyone the rest of the force will lag behind. Eventually you'll face enemies which this won't work against and you'll be done for.

As another note, the "glitch" also makes Prince Nick one of the best fighters on the team, as he already has hero-like stats, but his sword of hayja can cast unlimited Freeze 3s :)
Dregnus

Postby Rusty » Wed Oct 11 2006 8:59pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:40 pm) wrote: From wht I recall, no; I think it was pretty much unique to SoH (though on a further curiosity, was the bug unique to the non-Japanese versions, or across all versions of the game?)

I recall playing the Japanese version of this before and, if my memory serves me right, it was in fact 'buggy' in that as well.
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force CD