Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Great Paladin » Sat Sep 23 2006 8:35pm

Because there is no wondering around, so i don't think is it an RPG
Great Paladin

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Aug 05 2006 7:57pm

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Cullsoft » Sat Sep 23 2006 9:06pm

It's a strategy RPG, numbnuts.

I should bitch, but it seems people with your attitude are in the majority and verifying Sega's excuse that "no-one wants strategy RPGs anymore", so I ought to shut up and be satisfied with my cheap biscuit. :roll:
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

User avatar
Shining Furce
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 5285
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 1:56pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Bifrostbear » Sat Sep 23 2006 9:12pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:06 pm) wrote: It's a strategy RPG, numbnuts.

I should bitch, but it seems people with your attitude are in the majority and verifying Sega's excuse that "no-one wants strategy RPGs anymore", so I ought to shut up and be satisfied with my cheap biscuit. :roll:

No need to take out your frustations with Sega on others. And I have yet to really figure out why someone cares if a game is an "RPG" or not. Strictly a matter of definition and if I like a game, I don't care what someone may call it. Someone doesn't think Gemfire is an RPG - I don't really give a rat's ass - still a really fun game.
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?


Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Image
Image



"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner of my dreams."

"Republicans and Democrats debating is like two guys arguing about who is gonna pay for the drinks in a bar on the Titanic."
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?


Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Image
Image



"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner of my dreams."

"Republicans and Democrats debating is like two guys arguing about who is gonna pay for the drinks in a bar on the Titanic."
Bifrostbear

User avatar
Zaphod Beeblebrox's Fifth Cousin Thrice Removed
Administrator
 
Posts: 6721
Joined: Fri Apr 23 2004 10:28pm

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Martin III » Sat Sep 23 2006 9:41pm

Well, if you like certain games, and these happen to be RPGs, whether or not a certain game that you haven't played yet is an RPG is a matter of interest. But yeah... otherwise, not something to fret over.

My working definition of an RPG is a game that has (1)a self-improvment system, and (2)some form of "magic", i.e.special moves that consume points other than health points. It seems to me that all RPGs have those, and no non-RPG has them. Since Shining Force CD has those two things, I figure it's an RPG. Town wandering sections are popular in RPGs, but not intrinsic to their nature in my opinion.

Now, if your own working definition of an RPG includes town wandering sections, then no; Shining Force CD is NOT an RPG. It all depends on where you draw the line. Some folks might say that an RPG has to have a storyline, too.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 4984
Joined: Mon Jul 17 2006 4:30pm

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby domingo43 » Sat Sep 23 2006 10:13pm

What on earth made you think that it wasn't an RPG. And why make such a dumb topic on whether or not a game is an RPG?

:topicsucks:
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
domingo43

Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sat Aug 12 2006 8:36pm
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Cullsoft » Sat Sep 23 2006 10:15pm

domingo43 @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:13 pm) wrote: And why make such a dumb topic on whether or not a game is an RPG?

Because Carribean Cool's middle name is "spam up SFC with dumb topics".

Frosty - as I recall, Sega made an official statement saying something along the lines of "where not gonna make a proper Shining Force game because people don't want strategy RPGs anymore", thus I do feel tetchy about comments like Carribean Cool's feeling like their just fuel behind the crap argument that we don't want what we've been asking for since the whole petition started (that's what I, now regrettably, put my name on the petition in the hope of getting). That and I was taking the opportunity to make use of dry, offensive sarcasm.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

User avatar
Shining Furce
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 5285
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 1:56pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Bifrostbear » Sat Sep 23 2006 11:09pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:15 pm) wrote: Because Carribean Cool's middle name is "spam up SFC with dumb topics".

Frosty - as I recall, Sega made an official statement saying something along the lines of "where not gonna make a proper Shining Force game because people don't want strategy RPGs anymore", thus I do feel tetchy about comments like Carribean Cool's feeling like their just fuel behind the crap argument that we don't want what we've been asking for since the whole petition started (that's what I, now regrettably, put my name on the petition in the hope of getting). That and I was taking the opportunity to make use of dry, offensive sarcasm.

That is no excuse to be slamming others - and quite frankly I don't know what your point is by doing it. If you don't like the topic, it is simple enough not to post in it IMHO.

And as dead as these boards have been as of late, it is a recent topic (although the basic idea has been discussed in other rpgs before) and is generating some responses - unless people start putting up more topics we either deal with what we have or we can sit around and watch paint dry too.

Sega is not the only one guilty of ignoring strategy rpg fans - no one has really stepped forward on that other than a few scattered releases. And, like regular rpgs it is not like there is was a shortage of good ones available in Japan.

And not only strategy rpgs have been shorted by the major companies - so have good strategy games in general - there are probably fewer of those available than strategy rpgs. (For example only one of the Daisenryaku games as been ported - although there were probably more of those made than the should not be mentioned series - but all of those seem to have been "given" to us.
(And while your sarcasm was certainly offensive, can't say it was very dry - too blatant for that - but maybe that is just me.)
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?


Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Image
Image



"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner of my dreams."

"Republicans and Democrats debating is like two guys arguing about who is gonna pay for the drinks in a bar on the Titanic."
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?


Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Image
Image



"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner of my dreams."

"Republicans and Democrats debating is like two guys arguing about who is gonna pay for the drinks in a bar on the Titanic."
Bifrostbear

User avatar
Zaphod Beeblebrox's Fifth Cousin Thrice Removed
Administrator
 
Posts: 6721
Joined: Fri Apr 23 2004 10:28pm

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Demonic Weasel » Sat Sep 23 2006 11:10pm

Carribean_Cool @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:35 pm) wrote: Because there is no wondering around, so i don't think is it an RPG

What kind of a question is that?

RPG's do not require free-roaming, that is just a popular misconception. A game that is mixed with strategy elements and RPG elements is known as a Strategy RPG.
weasels you pansy



uh...
weasels you pansy



uh...
Demonic Weasel

User avatar
Waterlord
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Nov 08 2004 10:44pm

Re: Is SFCD considered an RPG?

Postby Great Paladin » Sat Sep 23 2006 11:48pm

Culley O'Fursdom) wrote:,Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:15 pm] Because Carribean Cool's middle name is "spam up SFC with dumb topics".

(sighs) this is what i get comming home from a hard day at work
Great Paladin

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Aug 05 2006 7:57pm


Return to Shining Force CD

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest