Deanna's name may be a joke...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 2016 6:06am
by RedShine
I've been thinking about something and I honestly believe Deanna's name, besides being horribly misplaced, is actually an inside joke of some sort by the translators/localizers from SOA.
My rationale is that Deanna's japanese name, Shu, is a reference to Shugo Takahashi, the general director of the project, if I recall correctly.

Now, it's a long shot, but I have a feeling SOA went along with the joke here.
I wonder if anyone knows the names behind the translation in order to either substantiate or refute this claim.

Edit: I managed to find a scan of the manual. The production credits are as follows:

Producer: Jerry Markota

Product Manager: John Garner

Text Translation: Sinobu Shindo

Text Editors: Jerry Markota, Sara Reeder

Lead Tester: David Wood

Assistant Lead Testers: Gregg Vogt, Todd Pifer
Testers: Crissi Albertson, Mark Griffin, Joe Cain, Stan Weaver, Tony Lynch, Michael Wu, Conan Tigard, Michael Williams

Manual: John Mclain

Special Thanks: Judi Markota, Michael Deininger, Mikiko Itoga, Wendy Dinsmore, Mark Sherrod, Manabu Akabane

It seems this would disprove my claim (by this rationale, Deanna should have been called Jerry), but I still think there is something else to dig here.

Re: Deanna's name may be a joke...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 2016 2:53am
by DiegoMM
Maybe the translator thought he was a girl?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 2016 5:59am
by RedShine
Maybe so, or one of them decided to pay a silly homage to one of their daughters or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18 2017 12:32am
by DomingoRules!
DiegoMM wrote:Maybe the translator thought he was a girl?

I wouldn't doubt that one bit. I remember thinking he was a girl in Sword of Hajya based on name and mug shot until it was clarified, and even then I had a tendency to question if I correctly remembered the game referencing his gender.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12 2017 6:22pm
by ZethaPonderer
I don't think Deanna sounds that girly as the name sounds androgenous in nature. *Post edited to remove slur ~ Stordarth*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24 2017 4:51am
by DomingoRules!
ZethaPonderer wrote:*Quote edited to remove slur ~ Stordarth*

That would explain more than it probably should.