Shining Force CD: Finally coming to the 3DS

It's about time.

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Finally coming to the 3DS

Post by Kaihaku »

Today's Nintendo Direct announced that Shining Force II: Sword of Hajya would finally be re-released on the 3DS virtual console. :thumbsup: Great news...except that I wish it were the Shining Force CD version.
Okami
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Finally coming to the 3DS

Post by Okami »

oh this is great news i know ill be dling it
Mupen64 Man
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Mupen64 Man »

That is terrific! Is there a link to the announcement?

oh, nvm. XD
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.
whiterose
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by whiterose »

Yeah... I really wish it was Shining Force CD, since I've really, really been wanting to finally play it... and I sort of... just recently purchased a game gear and Shining Force Sword of Hajya... but... eh... I guess I'll cave, and support this. It'll tell Sega that just maybe we want this series here. The tactical ones, especially. Maybe if enough people buy it, that message will finally sink in...

*cough*lolyeahrightthat'sadreamthisissegawe'retalkingabout-.-*cough*
KoLAddict
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by KoLAddict »

It's out now, at least on the NA 3DS VC. Just downloaded it. It's amazing what an upgraded screen from the Game Gear can do for this game, it's so much better now. Love it.
Corsair
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Corsair »

I dunno, the GG's crappy old screen is kinda charming in its own special way. I find myself missing contrast knobs until i remember how much of a pain in the ass they were.
KoLAddict
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by KoLAddict »

When I got my Game Gear a couple years ago I completely forgot about the Contrast knob! When I got the thing in the mail I popped Sword of Hayja in and fired it up.....and black screen. I actually posted on the Game Gear Hardware forum on GameFAQs where someone mentioned the knob, which fixed the issue. Somehow it was turned all the way down, but nothing has that anymore, so I didn't even think to look for it.
Dregnus

Post by Dregnus »

Started this last night and played through the first two battles. Never beat this with a No Egress run, so I'm going to see how I do.

What I really should do is play it alongside Shining Force CD and note the differences. I think I have a save file at Battle 2.
calibur

Post by calibur »

I'm a little bit confused on why you guys wouldn't just play this on a Sega CD emulator.

Add the Kreed filter, a usb controller and you have better graphics with a real controller. Is this a nostalgia thing because Sega CD graphics are too detailed?
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

This is an official port of SF2:Sword of Hajya from the Game Gear, on the Nintendo 3DS. As far as I know, there's not an emulator yet to play SFCD on the 3DS, certainly not on an unmodded, untampered-with system.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

Omega Entity wrote:This is an official port of SF2:Sword of Hajya from the Game Gear, on the Nintendo 3DS. As far as I know, there's not an emulator yet to play SFCD on the 3DS, certainly not on an unmodded, untampered-with system.
I would much rather play on my PC monitor, than on a 3DS. But, I don't have a lot of "on the go" time when I could play it. Even actual DS and 3DS games, I play at home. So, maybe it's just me.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

Post by Three of Nineteen »

Did they fix the Freeze 3 glitch?
I had never played the Game Gear version, only my original copy of Shining Force CD, so when I reached the first battle with a Master Mage enemy and he toasted half my Force and killed a character with a Range 3, Spread 2 Blaze 3 I went and looked through an FAQ for the GG version to avoid any more uncomfortable surprises like that.
The FAQ mentions a glitch with Freeze 3, causing it to do damage like Freeze 4 but maintaining the R3S2. Has that been fixed in this release?

Edit: no, they haven't lazy bums... May just learned Freeze 3 and it still does 40-45 dmg at R3S2. Really unbalances the game. Makes you feel dirty for using it, and if you don't, May becomes a complete gimp with only access to Freeze 2 :(
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Three of Nineteen wrote:Did they fix the Freeze 3 glitch?
I had never played the Game Gear version, only my original copy of Shining Force CD, so when I reached the first battle with a Master Mage enemy and he toasted half my Force and killed a character with a Range 3, Spread 2 Blaze 3 I went and looked through an FAQ for the GG version to avoid any more uncomfortable surprises like that.
The FAQ mentions a glitch with Freeze 3, causing it to do damage like Freeze 4 but maintaining the R3S2. Has that been fixed in this release?

Edit: no, they haven't lazy bums... May just learned Freeze 3 and it still does 40-45 dmg at R3S2. Really unbalances the game. Makes you feel dirty for using it, and if you don't, May becomes a complete gimp with only access to Freeze 2 :(
Yep its really really OP and makes any battle with her in it a joke.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

Just saw this on my 3DS shop and bought it...I think it was $4.99. Only a few battles in...but I'm enjoying it. So this is a direct port of Shining Force CD? Obviously, I haven't played that one, either. I've heard it's really good, though.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

No, just Shining Force II Sword of Hajya (aka SF Gaiden 2, I think?). SFCD has Gaiden 1 and 2, as well as some additional content.

SC Character Sheet
Dregnus

Post by Dregnus »

Over-using May's Freeze 3 will just leave you with a horribly under leveled Force. And that insane Freeze3 makes Demons Masters and a few of the bosses (Warderer, I think) downright terrifying. You actually have to consider sacrificial lambs to burn through the enemies magic points. Rush becomes an even better character because he takes half damage from magic.

Since I grew up with this, only Shining Force 2's Sorcerer class comes anywhere close to doing the kind of magic damage I expect mages to do. Also...
Spoiler
Nick is an absolute beast in the final battle with the Sword of Hajya and unlimited casting of Freeze 3
Yes, for me it is nostalgia. It's the first Shining Force game I ever played. Plus, it's a great game for travelling as the battles are relatively quick and you don't have to move through a story mode.
spencuh

Post by spencuh »

I emulated Shining Force 2 on my phone, but I didn't know why Shining Force CD didn't download or work. I finally figured out that I needed a sega cd emulator, but the google play store has some crappy apps :damnit: So I ended up downloaded Shining Force CD onto my laptop, unknowingly how to do everything especially about a BIOS file.

But I am playing book 2 at the moment. I was expecting book 1 to be a lot longer, especially since you get to use the sword once in the battle at the very end. I am not sure if I should equip demon weapons, I mean I rather have the money.

I sadly didn't ever get to finish Shining Force, I got stuck at the final boss fight and each time I tried to replay it from the beginning, everyone had super low levels. So I ended up making it less than half way after that.

I wouldn't really want to play on a 3DS, I woud go blind before ever finishing a battle :(

Update : I hate this starting team, I only like Natasha and Nicole :( Plus Luke keeps dying.... constantly. He is no Gong, I'll tell you that.
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

You know you can use Egress to grind levels if you need to, right?

SC Character Sheet
spencuh

Post by spencuh »

At the time I didn't know this, didn't realize the levels still attained. But yes I have noticed this now >.<
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

spencuh wrote:Update : I hate this starting team, I only like Natasha and Nicole :( Plus Luke keeps dying.... constantly. He is no Gong, I'll tell you that.
Nicole? :confused: