Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

GRAHAM exploded!!

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

GRAHAM exploded!!

Postby Perpoose » Tue Mar 13 2012 4:30pm

I just finished battle 4 or 5 (the one with the well and the museum ticket)...and Graham joined. The game then asked me to save and I clicked "yes". The text box then said, "GRAHAM exploded!!" and the screen froze.

WTF? I'm playing on KEGA and although I haven't had any problems so far, I understand that emulators might freeze every now and then. But I've never had this game mention that a character explodes, lol.

I have the screenshot, but I don't know how to insert it here. Anyone else have this problem?
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: GRAHAM exploded!!

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13 2012 6:34pm

If you make a new post in the full editor, just below Save draft/Preview/Submit, there are tabs that say Options and Upload attachment. Go to upload attachment and do your stuff. Because I want to see this screenshot!
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Torick » Tue Mar 13 2012 8:33pm

I've been experiencing freezing and savegames disappearance/crashing with SFCD running on Fusion too.
Torick

Postby Perpoose » Tue Mar 13 2012 9:12pm

Ok, here is the screenshot (thanks, Alpha...had no idea there was an attachment button)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ehow22 » Tue Mar 13 2012 9:18pm

Next time select "no" and save in battle/camp :p

I've heard about this before. never seen it myself though...
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Perpoose » Tue Mar 13 2012 9:49pm

Ok, so I had to replay the battle and selected "no"...everything went smoothly until the next battle. I egressed, and went to save, but it gave me an error (see pic below). Any idea what's wrong with my game? It seems like I can't save anymore. Luckily I can use savestates, but I want to be able to save a file for Books 3 and 4...

As a side note: I also trying saving in battle, by selecting QUIT, but the same error message came...luckily no characters exploded this time, hehe...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Mar 13 2012 11:16pm

Are you sure your game image isn't messed? The slightest corruption could be causing this kind of errors.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 14 2012 2:48am

That's awesome, though.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Perpoose » Wed Mar 14 2012 2:53pm

What's a "game image"? Is there any way to fix this save issue? I played Book 1 without issues as well as the beginning of Book 2...do I have to start all over...should I try playing from my last "official" game-save?

Would I be able to play Book 3 and 4 without actually saving Book 2 on the game? I'm using savestates right now.
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Wed Mar 14 2012 4:33pm

I mean your game CD or whatever you're using to play in Kega. Part of it might be corrupted enough to keep you from saving. Can you post your save state and your save in a .rar file? I'll give them a look.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Perpoose » Wed Mar 14 2012 10:30pm

Thanks, what am I looking for exactly? a .crm and .gs0 file? Sorry...although I'm okay with computers, I'm not familiar with the file extensions used by emulators!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just fixed it...I clicked on "Load RAM" and loaded my most recent RAM and tried to save and it worked...I guess for some reason it wasn't recognizing my RAM...who knows...
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby punkazzz » Sat Mar 24 2012 12:13pm

I guess she was talking about the Shining force CD ROM you downloaded was corrupted... it's also called a game image.. and other things... but i just read through this entire post... and gave me a few laughs... Its one of the weirdest errors I've seen yet..
The cake is a Lie !!!
The cake is a Lie !!!
punkazzz

Postby Martin III » Thu May 17 2012 3:40am

Weird indeed. The most puzzling thing is, where does that text come from? I suppose it must come from the battle with the exploding mushrooms, but I can't imagine how a mushroom would be replaced by a character's name.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wetwille » Tue Jun 12 2012 12:08pm

That's really wierd. I haven't finished book 1 yet, but I've never seen that happen on any lp's.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement
Conqueror of Katgirlfeli's Shining Force 1 mod
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement
Conqueror of Katgirlfeli's Shining Force 1 mod
Wetwille

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby taleden » Fri Aug 29 2014 6:17pm

I know this thread is ancient, but I just encountered exactly the same error and when you search "shining force cd graham exploded" on google, this thread is the only result. So, for posterity, here's what's happening:

tl;dr: You continued a game by loading a save state, but you forgot to also load the RAM cart containing that playthrough's save data. It works until the game tries to save, and then it can't find the RAM cart and gives this error.

A conventional (physical) Genesis game cartridge contains a large block of read-only memory (ROM) which contains the game data, and also a smaller block of writeable memory which is where saved game data goes. That's why, for example, SF1 and SF2 only have three "slots" for saved games -- that's how much space is available on the battery-backed writeable memory inside the game cartridge.

A CD, on the other hand, is 100% ROM. It is not physically possible to have any amount of writeable memory on a CD, so the SegaCD system requires that you use a RAM cart to store your saved games when playing SegaCD games.

KEGA supports the creation of a virtual RAM cart which is just saved in a file on your computer. But -- and this is the tricky bit here -- it does not remember which RAM cart file you had loaded the last time you played. Every time you shut down KEGA and then restart it, it will act like you have no RAM cart inserted, until you specifically tell it which RAM cart file to load.

If you were playing the way you would on a physical console, you would notice this immediately: when you start up Shining Force CD (or whatever), you'd see that the game you want to continue is not available, and you'd think "oh, I forgot to insert the RAM cart".

But for convenience, most KEGA users save their progress using savestates instead of the in-game save/continue system. That hides the problem, because then it's possible to load the game state of a playthrough which is saved on a RAM cart, even though you haven't told KEGA to load that RAM cart. Everything progresses normally until the game tries to save your progress, either between chapters or at camp, and then it hits this error because it's trying to update your campaign save data on a RAM cart which isn't there.

I don't know why that leads to the "GRAHAM exploded" message, but if you just go into the KEGA menu and tell it to load the RAM cart containing your active campaign, then it has no problem saving.
taleden

Postby Hal » Fri Jan 02 2015 3:00am

I know this thread is a bit old, but could this maybe be some really strange and humerous anti piracy measure that shows when something goes wrong in kega and may show that this was emulated???
Hello.
Hello.
Hal

Postby realnabarl » Tue Aug 25 2015 2:38pm

Just watched the video yesterday, it is cool. ;)

realnabarl

Postby alex_man » Sat Aug 29 2015 6:05pm

I use Gens emulator :)
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kayin » Mon Oct 19 2015 2:23am

How have I not seen this before?
Lost Soul wrote:Darn, I was hoping I could be SFC's pretty boy.... Stupid sexy kayin.....

shinsachiel wrote:I remember those testicles fondly.

-----
PSN ID: operativeXIII
3DS Tag: 0791-1488-8166
Lost Soul wrote:Darn, I was hoping I could be SFC's pretty boy.... Stupid sexy kayin.....

shinsachiel wrote:I remember those testicles fondly.

-----
PSN ID: operativeXIII
3DS Tag: 0791-1488-8166
Kayin

Sparkly Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marionettetc » Sat Jun 18 2016 10:18pm

Graham no!!!!!!
Marionettetc

Next

Return to Shining Force CD