Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force CD Save State Editor

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Shining Force CD Save State Editor

Postby Special T » Thu Oct 27 2011 6:08am

This editor was made with the information xenometal / BoneIdol & Earl posted, so a big thank you goes out to them!

Editor can change the following:
- Names
- Class
- Level
- Move Type
- Current Experience
- Current / Max HP
- Current / Max MP
- Base / Modified Attack
- Base / Modified Defense
- Base / Modified Agility
- Base / Modified Move
- Horizontal / Vertical placement on the battle field
- Items in slots 1 - 4
- Magic in slots 1 - 4

Limitations:
- Editor can identify / modify all 4 books
- Editor supports names up to 10 characters long
- Editor can equip multiple rings / equipment at the same time (see the tutorial video)

Links:
- Video of the editor in action - Youtube
- Excel spreadsheet / Editor - Download
- HxD HEX Editor - Download
- Kega Fusion v 3.64 - Download

Usage:
- Load your save state into the HxD HEX Editor
- In the HEX Editor press Ctrl + A to select everything
- Go to Edit => Copy As => Editor View
- Open the Shining Force CD Editor (Excel file) and paste the values into cell B1 on the Datadump tab
- Select Sheet 2
- Update cell W2 to indicate which book your save state is from
- Press the Reset All Data button
- Choose the desired character in cell C3
- Edit whatever you like
- Once done press the Update Data button
- Edit other characters if you wish, if not press the Create Save button
- Go back to the HxD HEX Editor and press delete to get rid of all the old data
- Press Ctrl + V to paste the data into the HEX editor
- Click File => Save
- Load the edited Save State into Kega Fusion
- If everything went well you should see the new stats on edited characters

Change Log:
- v1.0: Initial Release
- v2.0: Deleted the book detection code and added book selection menu to cell W2 because the editor wasn't properly detecting which book the save state was from.

Notes:
- This editor was coded in Excel 2010 so if you're using a previous version of Excel, it may not work.
- The tutorial video displays v1.0 of the editor so if you're using v2.0, make sure to update cell W2 to indicate which book your save state is from, otherwise the editor won't work.

Warning:
- Please make a backup copy of your save state because this editor could corrupt your file. It worked for me but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I don't know how to code programs so I had to make this editor in Excel, but with that said it gets the job done (according to the test I ran anyway...). There are other values in the character section of the save state that I haven't figured out yet but I'm sure there is other interesting stuff to modify as well such as character status etc.

If anyone finds any errors or issues with this, please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by Special T on Thu Jul 04 2013 5:51am, edited 3 times in total.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force CD Save State Editor

Postby Doomblade66 » Thu Oct 27 2011 7:59am

Hang on then...wait....stutter...stammer....what ?

Am I to understand that a dream I had so many months (year+ ?) ago - and posted on here....a dream for a legitimate Shining Force CD-Editor program....has actually just become a reality ?

Please tell me you can edit enemy monster stats....that would be the greatest thing ever. The finest Enemy A.I. I have ever faced in a Shining game....coupled with the ability to FINALLY make the enemies worthy of the ridiculous end-game stats your party is able to get....would be a dream come true !

Finally...Barbara would not be a loser.....FINALLY......Solo could be given Bolt-3.....wow....the potential is limitless !

Is it true....or am I misunderstanding what exactly this release can do ?
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Thu Oct 27 2011 1:49pm

Sorry for the confusion, sadly it's just a basic editor that allows you to modify you're characters stats / items / magic from a Kega Fusion save state. So unfortunately it's not as good as the SF I or II editor. If anyone here knows how to code you could make a pretty decent editor program based on the information in xenometal's 10/05/11 post in THIS thread.

If you want to see what the editor can do, check out the Youtube video I made.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Doomblade66 » Thu Oct 27 2011 1:55pm

Hmm....I have to think you are on the verge of a massive breakthrough though, Special-T. I'd consult with Bone Idol more, if you haven't already - since his Editor for Shining Force-III functions in much the same way, I think, by modifying States....and you are able to edit enemy units as well. Given that both games are CD-based....granted, I know they are probably still vastly different in Coding complexity .....perhaps some of the tricks and methods he used in his SF-III work, could be retro-engineered to work with SF-CD ?

----------------

* And, even with only being able to modify your people...you could sort of improve the challenge by limiting how powerful your characters are able to get - I think ? - if you can actually edit their "Stat Progressions", as with the SF-1 and SF-2 Editors...*
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Thu Oct 27 2011 2:49pm

Hmm....I have to think you are on the verge of a massive breakthrough though, Special-T. I'd consult with Bone Idol more, if you haven't already - since his Editor for Shining Force-III functions in much the same way, I think, by modifying States....and you are able to edit enemy units as well.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the enemy data is listed in the save state but I assume it only loads enemy data from the current battle you're in although I'm not sure exactly where it is located. The save state contains character data for your entire force (even those that haven't joined yet) so you can modify those values at any point you want.

And, even with only being able to modify your people...you could sort of improve the challenge by limiting how powerful your characters are able to get - I think ?

Well you could always lower their starting stats, so that would produce the results you're looking for although I don't know if they would get higher than normal stat gains at level up.... I haven't really tested that.

- if you can actually edit their "Stat Progressions", as with the SF-1 and SF-2 Editors...*

I'm not sure if that data is stored in a save state, but per xenometal post, it is in every BANKD##.X file (0x528AC - 0x52B31: Character Growth Data)
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Noma » Mon Oct 31 2011 8:34pm

Special T wrote:Unfortunately I don't know how to code programs so I had to make this editor in Excel, but with that said it gets the job done (according to the test I ran anyway...).

I might be able to whip something up in Visual Basic or C++ if I had the relevant information relating to the game code, if you'd like.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Tue Nov 01 2011 3:02am

That would be great, I can give you whatever information you want regarding Save State editing just send me a PM with your email address. If you're wanting to make a program to modify the game directly you can get those details from xenometal's 10/05/11 post in THIS thread.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby tggrng123 » Thu Nov 03 2011 7:11pm

For some odd reason the drop down menu on C3 doesn't give me anything at all. I've loaded the data and it's showing the data in the box next to it but there's no list on c3 still.
tggrng123

Postby Shining Hopeful » Thu Nov 03 2011 10:04pm

After a bit of a nightmare in SF3, I decided I want to have another look at this, which previously I got stuck on when I hit a battle where one boss in the middle of the room, which didn't move, took out my whole team with long range magic, think it was Book II, but this a very long time ago.

I read your instructions at the top, bit scary, not sure I could get that to work. Because this is a no-towns game, if you get stuck on a battle you can't get past, can you egress and re-fight it until your team level up enough to make it?

As I said I played this a VERY long time ago. But my current record in Shining games is poor, played 5 finished 3, gave up two. So I want to re-visit this (as number 6) and get to the end this time.

I want to use this editor if I get really stuck, but I'm put off by how techy it sounds, plus I hate Excel, plus I don't have 2010.

A lot of you here seem excited at the prospect of making this game tougher; for me just the opposite!
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Fri Nov 04 2011 3:57am

tggrng123 wrote:For some odd reason the drop down menu on C3 doesn't give me anything at all. I've loaded the data and it's showing the data in the box next to it but there's no list on c3 still.

hmm, not sure why it's not coming up.

In the HEX editor, did you go to Edit => Copy As => Editor View?

After you've dumped the data into Data Dump tab and before using the drop down menu in cell C3 make sure you press the Reset All Data button in sheet 2.

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Shining Hopeful wrote:I want to use this editor if I get really stuck, but I'm put off by how techy it sounds, plus I hate Excel, plus I don't have 2010.

I made the editor in Excel 2010 and tested it in 2007 and I'm pretty sure it will work in the older versions as well but not 100% sure.

Shining Hopeful wrote:A lot of you here seem excited at the prospect of making this game tougher; for me just the opposite!

Well the editor will allow you to give your characters increased stats and better items, so that should help you through the most difficult battles.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby tggrng123 » Fri Nov 04 2011 5:09am

I've done those steps, I've quadruple checked. For some odd reason it happens every time.

Edit: Btw thank you for your work. :)
tggrng123

Postby Special T » Mon Nov 07 2011 5:07am

tggrng123 wrote:I've done those steps, I've quadruple checked. For some odd reason it happens every time.

Edit: Btw thank you for your work. :)

Sorry for the delayed response.

Do you have any screen capturing software? If so, can you record the process from start to finish, maybe I'll be able to determine whats going on if I can see what your doing.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby tggrng123 » Fri Dec 02 2011 6:42am

Well I'll do so when I get more time, I've had the same problem over and over.
tggrng123

Postby ranas001 » Thu May 10 2012 2:00pm

I wasnt sure if my original message made it to you because its in my outbox and not sent messages so i am trying again. Sorry for spamming if you did receive it.

Hi,

im having trouble with your SF CD excel based save state editor. I have copied over the data in editor view, pasted correctly, and then switched to sheet 2 and clicked reset all data.

this is what i end up with, but i cannot get the drop down menu to appear for C3 no matter how many times i click on the arrow.

Im an excel noob, but when i go to data validation for cell C3, an error appears: "the source currently evaluates to an error. do you want to continue?". So i can only assume that there is an error here but as i said im a noob so don't know what to do here.

I hope i have given enough information. Please help because im a huge SF fan and this would make me so happy!
ranas001

Postby jasongrvin » Sat May 12 2012 12:26am

I'm finding that the "buttons" in the spreadsheet aren't working at all for me. I click, they do nothing.
jasongrvin

Postby daninthemix » Mon Jul 23 2012 9:04pm

It's a real shame that the OP, having done all this work has apparently abandoned the editor in a non-working state. Like all the others above me, the drop-down menu is not clickable after following the steps above.
daninthemix

Postby Special T » Fri Jul 27 2012 4:20am

Sorry about not responding I haven't check this thread in a while. To address the issues above try using this updated version of the spreadsheet.

Original I was having the spreadsheet determine which book the save state was from, which may have been causing issues so I removed that section of the spreadsheet.

Make sure to select the correct book # in cell W2 before pressing the Reset All Data button.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdd4xw98d618opi

ranas001 said he was able to get it working using this spreadsheet. I hope that helps, if not send me a PM if I don't reply here in case I miss any responses.

Please let me know if this works :-)
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby daninthemix » Sat Jul 28 2012 8:43pm

Works great buddy :)

Thankyou so much for your efforts
daninthemix

Postby tggrng123 » Thu Aug 16 2012 7:05am

Nice work! I will try it out within the week, hopefully it works now :D!
tggrng123

Postby HAAAGE85 » Wed Jul 03 2013 3:53pm

Hey Sf Gang. I've been trying to download the Excel spreadsheet / Editor for Shining Force CD. how ever the link takes me to a site that has nothing to do with downloading it. Could some one please tell me of a new link to get it.
HAAAGE85

Next

Return to Shining Force CD