Shining Force CD: shining force book 3 and 4

how do i make these books playeble

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Moderator: Shining Moderators

helraiser31

shining force book 3 and 4

Post by helraiser31 »

hello,

I have shining force CD emulated with the fushion364 emulator. I just played through the first 2 books, and want to continue the story, but i can't play book 3 and 4, as they are not in the list to select.

my question is: how do i make these books availible to play?

thanks in advance
Helly
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Re: shining force book 3 and 4

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

You need to unlock them.

To unlock book 3 you must finish books 1 and 2.
To unlock book 4 you must find a special item in one of the first two books... and finish book 3.
Transfering your finished data from the previous books factors somewhere in there too, so play them in order and use your cleared game saves when the game prompts you.

So if book 3 still isn't displayed... that's got to do with your save files. :(
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

hello,

thanks for your quick reply. at what exact point do you have to save?

i saved at the last possible point. after the save point you get the IOM battle, and then the credits.

edit: just for the record: i played book 1 and finished it, then i started book 2 and it asked me if it was a sequel, to witch i answered yes and chose my save file from book 1.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Ok, then try to finish book 1 again using your final battle save? That's provided you didn't erase it after starting book 2... Else, I'm not sure. You'd need someone's inner backup file with the books unlocked.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

I still have both save files.

maybe it should be noted too that saving on the inner backup did not work. i have to use a virtual RAM card where the save files are on.

i will try to redo book 1 and will tell if that worked or not.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Ah... The inner backup is where the game invisibly stores the data that tells it which books you finished and such unlocking infos. You should try to format it, then finish book 1 and 2 again with your saves... Copy your save files to a different folder first though, just in case.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

hello,

finishing the first book again did not help. i think the best option is to get someones inner backup.

any idea on where to get this and how to install it?
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Since my own saves are long gone, I had to ask someone (Alpha) to send me his SFCD team game files so I could make this. Here's an "empty" inner backup file that'll unlock book 3. Putting it in the directory where your saves are stored should be enough. Let me know if it works.
SFCDBook3Unlocked.rar
I'll upload one that unlocks both book 3 and 4 later since I still have to go through the last final battle for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

hello,

It didn't work, i put the save file where the ram card is(because the saves are on there). I made a screenshot of it, maybe i put it wrong. Also, after i place your save, do i need to do the final battles again? Because i didn't do that.

thanks for your help and effort!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... force.png/
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

You can put the ram card anywhere as long as you load it manually, but I believe the only way to use the inner backup file is to place it in the emulator's default folder for saves. The location of this folder is in Kega's configuration panel (Options > Set Config, then "Sega CD" tab, and "BRM Files" field.) so that's where your own file ought to be and you can overwrite it, provided it's got the same name as mine.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

hi,

it sais that the folder is C:\gameboy\emulator\Fusion364
I do not have this folder on my computer.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

That would explain why it never saved your progress! Pick an existing folder of your choice in that menu, using "Browse". Then put my save file in it and see if the game detects it or creates another file (if the latter, overwrite that new file with mine).
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!
helraiser31

Post by helraiser31 »

it works!
thanks for all the help, i couldn't do it without you.
dark_dragon

Post by dark_dragon »

Sem título.png
I had the same problem and downloaded the file who Lord Oddey sama uploaded, and I did what he said, but it didn't work. Appeared the following message:
File acess failed.
Code 1

What can this be? How to solve?
I uploaded an image showing the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dark_dragon

Post by dark_dragon »

helraiser31 wrote:it works!
thanks for all the help, i couldn't do it without you.
I downloaded the Shining Force CD Book 3 and i did what Lord Oddey sama spoke, but appeared the following message in the game:
File access failed.
Code 1

What can this be? Who i proceed?
Sem título.png
BurnKing

Post by BurnKing »

hey can i get that save game file? it says i dont have the permission to get it. thanks

Post by fetamepsomi797 »

Hi everyone, long time SF player recently playing SF CD again after about 10 years on Fusion emulation.

I never even knew there was a Book 3 and 4. For whatever reason, I started with Book 2 this time and plan to finish Book 1 afterwards. In order to unlock Books 3 and 4, do I have to play the first two books in order?

Thanks, look forward to chatting with you all. :thumbsup:
Red_Shine

Post by Red_Shine »

I'm not sure if you need to play the books in order, but I assume that isn't the case, as long as the game recognizes each of your book saves as cleared.
Make sure to set the emulator's external memory before you start playing in earnest as the Sega CD's internal RAM cannot hold the necessary save data for all four books. If you need help, don't hesitate to reach me here on the forums.

Edit: Gdrive link for my saves, for those who need it. I use Kega Fusion 3.64 and I can't guarantee these saves will for with Gens, so please keep that in mind. Brm files are the Sega CD's internal memory while crm files are the emulated RAM cartridge; make sure the emulator points to a save directory where both are placed.

Annoyingly, Kega requires the RAM cart to be loaded each time separately, so also keep that in mind. I had a complete save, but annoyingly upon re-checking, it didn't save my book 3 completion properly, but it should give people a leg up anyway.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-1Hb- ... Xe1RQWcYym" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kaiserwongze

Post by kaiserwongze »

Hello, thanks for providing the saves.

So when I try to start a new game on Book 3, I don't get that choice...just books 1 & 2.

Obviously I can still load your Book 3 save. But how can I start a fresh Book 3?

I loaded both save game files, btw.
Sarah MMNK99

Post by Sarah MMNK99 »

I’m sure I’m not offering any great insight here, but I just had the same problem, and I was able to fix it. Basically all I did was load up my book 1 and book 2 saves and finished them again back to back without turning off the system or resetting it. Load save 1 finished the game, let the credits run, load save 2 and do the same. The only other thing I did was move the save files from cartridge to innerbackup before loading them. I don’t know if it makes a difference or not, but the book 3 option appeared without me having to move the book 2 save back to the cartridge.

This was done on the Gens emulator.