Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What happened to Adam?

Discussion about this excellent Game Gear RPG.

Re: What happened to Adam?

Postby Hawksaber » Tue Sep 26 2006 5:33am

Alexander_13 @ Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:10 pm) wrote: when i said middle age i refer to a period of time like imperial age same as age of empires 2 between 1000AC and 1492AC

Shining Force has absoloutely nothing to do with that game.
Hawksaber

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Oddeye's Soul » Tue Sep 26 2006 7:13am

does anyone see any flaws in my theory so that i might have to rethink it?
Oddeye's Soul

Postby Snipes » Wed Oct 04 2006 5:31pm

Oddeye's Soul @ Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:13 am) wrote: does anyone see any flaws in my theory so that i might have to rethink it?

Chaos died.
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Sartre

Missing Amigo
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Sartre

Missing Amigo
Snipes

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Mon Oct 29 2007 11:59pm

Heh, see what you turn up when you did through the old topics... That is a very interesting theory on Zynk's origin. I seriously doubt that it is the true story, as I think they'd have put a few more clues that Zynk is Chaos if that was the case, considering how heavily it was indicated that Chaos was destroyed. But it's an intriguing hypothesis, and there's nothing to truly disprove it.

As for Adam, I think that after Max and/or Ian died, he continued to wander the world in search of good to accomplish. The fact that he latches onto Max as his "master" from the end of Shining Force I until at least the end of Final Conflict shows that he has a larger function beyond his duties at Metapha. Being tireless, there's nothing to stop him from continuing to carry it out ad infinitum.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Light Hope » Tue Jan 01 2008 1:18am

I don't think Adam and Zynk are the same robot but just different robots from ancient times.
Not the whole universe! That's where I keep my stuff! - Vali Odinson, Runescape
Not the whole universe! That's where I keep my stuff! - Vali Odinson, Runescape
Light Hope

Postby Lucifer » Wed Jun 03 2015 7:51pm

Adam was programmed to be loyal to Max and Kane. Maybe once Max passed away, Adam aided "Master Ian", who is of Kane's bloodline. If the hypothetical genealogy stated here <http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/?p=studies&c=genealogy> is true, and Bowie is Ian's son, then that would give Adam a reason to remain on Grans Island.

Now let's talk about Zynk. Over the many years between games, Adam will most likely have been injured numerous times, and eventually the self-repairing mechanism itself will become damaged causing him to improvise. Eventually he's going to run out of spare ADAM-Model parts (if he had any to begin with), which will force him to repair himself with whatever he can. This will result in changes to his appearance and weapons (such as chest laser in place of busted arm laser). Eventually, Adam will become unrecognizable and the many years and numerous repairs will muddle or delete some memories. Having lost his core programming to serve the bloodline of Masters Kane and Max, the robot wanders across Grans Island. While traversing the wilderness of Northern Grans, the robot passes through a small town called Roft. The townspeople were kind to the worn down robot. "You can rest here Mister...?" The robot thought for a moment, having forgotten parts of his identity long ago, including his name. He looked down at a scraped up plate on his arm. Only one word on that plate could be read, "Zynk". "You may call me Zynk."* Adam/Zynk resided there in peace until a fateful day many years later when a man named Petro arrived from the south. Petro was searching for an ancient vehicle, one that was somehow familiar to Zynk. Zynk not only knew where to find this vehicle, but also how to pilot it and offered to aid Petro in his quest. After a long journey to the eastern shore by the Dojo, they finally arrived at the Nazca ship. Petro was rejoicing that, at long last, he had found it; however this euphoria didn't last long. They were suddenly ambushed by a group of powerful Devils, greatly wounding Petro in the process. Petro managed to escape back to Roft, but Zynk was not so lucky. The commander of the band of Devils took him captive and forced him to pilot the Nazca ship back to Parmecia to be used as bait for the Shining Force. Upon landing, Zynk manages to escape and flees into the nearby town of Moun. He warns the townspeople and heads for the gate. They were nearing the gate when it was suddenly closed and locked by a visibly guilt-ridden and audibly morally conflicted Vicar. Zynk thinks fast and decides to dig out the well at the northern edge of town to hide as many townspeople as possible. A homesick Dwarf and a few of the townspeople offer to hold of the Devils at the west gate for as long as they can while this is being done. Soon, they had a viable shelter and Zynk signaled for the townspeople to hurry into the shelter, with the Dwarf being the last to enter. Zynk quickly looked out, there were still many people out there, but sadly there was no more room in the shelter. Zynk then pulled a boulder over the tunnels entrance, effectively hiding it from the Devils that were now pouring into the town. The Devils slaughtered everyone in town except for the few Zynk managed to hide. The Devils tried to exit the town to continue the carnage throughout Parmecia, but found that the gate was locked. All the Devils could do was bide there time, awaiting Geshps return with the key.

...You know the rest.

*If you prefer his Japanese name, Baccus, then simply switch out the "weary/scratched-up plate" segment for a "saved the town from a monster/celebration" bit (Baccus is the Roman god of wine and revelry).

There you go, my theory on how Adam could be Zynk and how Zynk ended up under Moun when it is clear that Roft is his home. Please note that most of this would happen when Bowie was an infant (too young to remember) or before he was born. There is some overlap with early and late portions of SF2 when you encounter Petro's irate grandfather ranting about his Grandson's pilfer of the Sky Orb and journey to Grans through the ancient tunnels (which Petro so rudely locked), and when Frayja accompanies you to Moun.

(Sorry, this was a very long post)
Last edited by Lucifer on Thu Aug 13 2015 11:28pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lucifer » Wed Jun 03 2015 8:12pm

... or Zynk was made by the Parmecia faction of the Ancients, whereas Adam and Chaos were built by the Rune Faction of the Ancients.

(Parmecia= Nazca Ship, Caravan, Zynk)

(Rune= Dark Dragon*, Colossus, Chaos Breaker, Adam, Chaos, Cryonic Sleep)

Maybe the Ancients died out because the Parmecia Ancients went to war with the Rune Ancients? They were clearly individual nations, considering the fact that Adam had no knowledge of the Caravan or the Nazca Ship when the Shining Force encountered them in Final Conflict.

*I forget if that's the case in LotGI, or if it was only in RotDD.

Oddeye's Soul wrote:What about this for an idea about zynk. I've been looking at the in battle sprites for adam and zynk and there's one critical problem that makes it so that the adam=zynk scenario impossible. where the laser is. adam, in his promoted state, shoots the laser out of his left arm and punches with his right. Zynk also punches with his right, however, his laser comes out of his chest. So that at least denies adam being zynk. My belief is that Zynk is actually Chaos. Here are my reasons. One, one of Chaos's laser's, from looking at the battle sprite's again, comes out of his chest. A short beam comes from his arm orb and a longer one comes out of the orb where a heart would be. Two, and this is a small detail, the coloring of Chaos's eyes are much closer to that of Zynk's than Adam's are. Three, his arms. In Sega's sketches you see clearly that his hands are claws. Chaos's arms, including the one that held the pink globe were claws. Now I guess I need to figure out how it works with the story. Well, my theory is that when Chaos blew up/ faded (I don't remember which) instead of being gone his A.I enabled an emergency teleportation, being heavely damaged his systems enacted a repair function which put him on standby while being fixed. When he was turned back on his system rebooted, there by freeing him of the corruption. Not remembering much due to the rebot he goes back to his basic function of protecting human life.

Adam would have known if that were possible and there would have been a lot less mourning.
Eric wrote:I think its important to remember that Zynk is a non-combat robot when you first meet him, once he gets angry he overides his programming to battle.

Adam/Zynk wouldn't want to accidentally harm the townspeople who so graciously took him in. He fought in a war against Dark Dragon, watched his pupils risk their lives in a war against Darksol, fought in however many battles in ancient times, and lost his master twice (temporarily to darkness and eventually permanently to death). He suffered massive amounts of trauma, and a sentient robot would no doubt be capable of PTSD. A retired soldier wouldn't need access to his battle skills anyway.
Eric wrote:(Zynk looks more primitive than Adam by far, Adam had floating parts before promotion).

I always saw it as "Adam was the first man" so therefore "Adam was the first robot (model)". Following this reasoning, if Zynk isn't Adam, then he must have been designed after the ADAM-type robots were already in production. This would indicate that despite his more primitive visual appearance, Zynk was meant to be an improvement upon the ADAM-type robots (an Adam 2.0 if you will).
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict