Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Finally going to do this

Long time in coming

Discussion about this excellent Game Gear RPG.

Re: Finally going to do this

Postby Alpha » Fri Jun 25 2010 5:33am

You get Morton after this battle too, which is a second Master Monk.

More choices for you ;)
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Jun 25 2010 7:01am

Minto's a lot like SHFCD/SoH's Marian (same spells, but doesn't seem to learn Freeze L4). She gets access to L3 spells sooner than Hawel, and learns Bolt L4 before he learns either of his L4 spells. Of course, there's the downside of coming pre-promoted, and it may be a question of who's stats are looking better.

Though she has the going point of being a Kyantol, and having a Kyantol on your team is having awesome on your team. ;)
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby the tall guy » Fri Jun 25 2010 9:36pm

Everyone is promoted. At this minute I've got Cynthia and Minto on the bench, but I'm going to replay this battle at least one more time, and throw them in. More updates to come.
“I can resist everything except temptation”
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Sat Jun 26 2010 7:11am

Culley O'Fursdom @ Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 am) wrote: She gets access to L3 spells sooner than Hawel, and learns Bolt L4...

Ian, Max, Minto, Ruburan, and Sasuke, all learn a bolt 3 equivalent, which gives you a ton of damage output. Plus those characters are all pretty cool anyway. You'll want that kind of firepower against a... certain set of enemies in the penultimate battle.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby the tall guy » Sun Jun 27 2010 11:50pm

I put Ridion in... then took him back out. Mead kinda got lost in the shuffle, so I'm throwing him back in to see if I can catch him up a bit. I'm on Battle 18, and planning to throw my magic users in for the next battle (thanks for that advice).

Kiddo is an absolute beast. Nothing is taking more than 1 HP from him and he's dishing out incredible damage. Ruburan isn't too shabby either, with his running ring he's absolutely flying around the battlefield killing stuff. Morton joined a few levels above everyone else, but he's been really solid. I also must say Ian has really turned into what a Shining Hero should be.

This game is great!
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Mon Jun 28 2010 4:00am

the tall guy @ Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 pm) wrote: Ruburan isn't too shabby either, with his running ring he's absolutely flying around the battlefield killing stuff.

Funny to hear that other people do that too. I mean, he's pretty bad ass to begin with so giving him a move of 7 is just ridiculous. It's almost unfair.

But yeah, when you add in Kiddo too... there's no almost about it. Those guys are just gods out on the field.
So you still lose.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Mon Jun 28 2010 11:32am

I actually prefer giving the RR to Cynthia - makes it easier to level her if she can get to healing people quicker >.>

Someone needs to make a SF: FC Savestate editor so we can give Cynthia some proper MP >.>
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Jun 29 2010 12:30am

Eric's a good one to give the running ring to, too. His flight advantage isn't as pronounced when he only has 5 MOV.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Tue Jun 29 2010 7:48am

Swalchy @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:32 am) wrote: ...makes it easier to level her if she can get to healing people quicker >.>

People don't have to be injured for her to get XP for healing.

For reference, Heal will always give about 10 exp points, whether the target is injured or not... Using Aura on three [or more] people gives about 25... and Quick gives about 5 per person effected [but no experience is earned for casting Quick on a character already effected].

Unless those were changed in the translation patch.
So you still lose.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Tue Jun 29 2010 12:05pm

..had completely forgotten about that Earl! Thanks for the reminder!

Once I've completed SF1, SF : FC is second on the list!
The Way To Yahuweh

The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby the tall guy » Wed Jun 30 2010 1:48am

Earl @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 am) wrote: People don't have to be injured for her to get XP for healing.

For reference, Heal will always give about 10 exp points, whether the target is injured or not... Using Aura on three [or more] people gives about 25... and Quick gives about 5 per person effected [but no experience is earned for casting Quick on a character already effected].

Unless those were changed in the translation patch.

I've been exploiting that very thing in battle 19, the regening MP is awesome.

I haven't made much progress, but as I get the chance, I will report more. Eric has been fairly unimpressive to me, he's just so outclassed by Kiddo. It's like Luke vs. Peter in Shining Force 2, there's just no comparison.

Sasuke is pretty stout as well, he's not quite as powerful as Ruburan, but noone really is.
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Jun 30 2010 2:35am

I found Sasuke to be a limp version of Ruburan myself. Found him by chance in my first playthrough and felt obligated to use him, but after a while I gave up and dropped him.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Maximus Aureillus » Wed Jun 30 2010 6:17am

Martin III @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm) wrote: I found Sasuke to be a limp version of Ruburan myself. Found him by chance in my first playthrough and felt obligated to use him, but after a while I gave up and dropped him.

Ditto.

Sasuke is outclassed by Ruruban in every way. I never bothered with him. Dropped him immediately after I found him. Kojirou though is a whole different story.
Destiny is a web of roads. Allah has decided our fates at the end of each. Ultimately it is up to us to choose which one we take.
Destiny is a web of roads. Allah has decided our fates at the end of each. Ultimately it is up to us to choose which one we take.
Maximus Aureillus

Suspended by request
Shining Member

Postby Cullsoft » Wed Jun 30 2010 7:25am

the tall guy @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 am) wrote: Eric has been fairly unimpressive to me, he's just so outclassed by Kiddo. It's like Luke vs. Peter in Shining Force 2, there's just no comparison.

On reflection, I think that sounds about right (if a bit extreme on the comparison to Luke vs. Peter). Being a Dragonman and the son of Elliot you expect him to be really tough and awesome, but in practice he's generally just above average.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby the tall guy » Sat Jul 03 2010 8:03pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 am) wrote: On reflection, I think that sounds about right (if a bit extreme on the comparison to Luke vs. Peter). Being a Dragonman and the son of Elliot you expect him to be really tough and awesome, but in practice he's generally just above average.

Being able to fly helps him, but he just is kinda... meh. Definately expected more from Elliot's offspring.

I'm still on battle 19, been kinda sick and haven't played much lately. Going to grind up a few more levels before I make the final push.

Sasuke is like a watered down Ruburan, but to me, Ruburan is so good that a watered down version is still a viable force member. I put Kojiru in as soon as I got him, not sure if he'll stick or not.
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Sun Jul 04 2010 9:47am

the tall guy @ Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:03 pm) wrote: Sasuke is like a watered down Ruburan, but to me, Ruburan is so good that a watered down version is still a viable force member.

Exactly.

And that extra bit of magic at your disposal can let you pull off some ridiculous stuff. If it helps, you can think of him as a really bad ass mage instead of a middling ninja.
So you still lose.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby the tall guy » Wed Jul 21 2010 10:14pm

Definately whored battle 19 for what it was worth. Got Cynthia from level 3 to 15, Morton up to 20, and Knuckles is about 15 as well. I'm in battle 20, can't believe who I'm fighting.

edit ~ Hell yes, game over and I'm a winner.

This game was great, I loved it. I guess now it's time for a breakdown on the characters, at least in my experience.

Ian ~ Not much to say, the typical Shining Force hero. He was a pretty good tank and definately packed a nice punch with his sword. He was useful throughout, of course. Having Bolt is always a nice addition.

Mead ~ Better than advertised. Mead made my final team over Sylvia. I noticed around battle 19 that despite being about 6 levels below Sylvia, his attack was the same and defense was only 1 less, so I made a switch. Mead started strong and was invaluable in the early battles, great attack and decent HP as well. My best centaur.

Paige ~ My tank for the first half. Paige took a back seat for a while, but ended up back in at the end. Once I got the ground axe he was absolutely rocking. The typical warrior tank character, also had decent HP.

Hawel ~ I liked Hawel, but he ended up getting left behind post promotion. I never did get to level him up to terribly much, and he sat out the final battles. Kinda dissapointed, but I may not have given him the best try ever.

Knuckles ~ Pretty good attack and heal is nice. He was good enough to stay in pretty much the entire time, not the top of the line, but handy. Morton overshadowed him.

Sonette ~ Was solid throughout, and naturally as the only archer was definately useful. Toward the end I ended up not using her, she was comparable in attack, but I had to work Max in the team, and she ended up getting booted for it.

Cynthia ~ Gah, the only healer? Her MP was a joke throughout, and if I hadn't powerleveled the heck out of her on battle 19, she'd have sat out entirely. The Mystery Staff helped a TON, as did the MP regen in Battle 19. Aura is SO good, even if she wasn't. Not a great character, but I almost had to use her, just for Aura.

Ruburan ~ Best character in the game. His attack was rediculous. I gave him a running ring and he just raged through most battles. The addition of spells made him impossible to not use, he's just the best, bar none.

Kiddo ~ Definately kept with the tradition of SFCD and their freakishly powerful birdmen. Great attack and really good defense (surprising me). He was a mainstay at all times in my party. He and Julia made the Mishaela battle pretty easy.

Sylvia ~ I never was overwhelmed with her. Sylvia just wasn't that good, I found Mead to be a better character.

Julia ~ Very strong well rounded character. Having the flight ability made her someone else I just couldn't not use. Her and Kiddo were a great 1 2 punch on a lot of enemies.

Eric ~ I liked Eric, great character. He ended up getting dropped in lieu of stronger members. His attack just wasn't that good, Kiddo and Julia were both better. Plus I had a hard time having him keep up, seems like his move range just didnt' cut it.

Minto ~ Didn't give her nearly enough of a chance. She probably only leveled up once, she just didn't get enough of a chance, so I can't really say much, I'll try to use her next time (I'll definately play this one again).

Morton ~ Pretty badass. He was just a better Knuckles. His attack was up near the top of my force, and he had good MP for his spells. He stayed in from the time he joined.

Sasuke ~ Watered down Ruburan? Maybe. But he had good attack, the great range, and the magic. He was also someone that was really just too good to not use, I don't see why anyone would ditch him.

Ridion ~ I was excited when I got him, Paige was kinda lagging in levels, so I threw him in... he sucked. I promptly stuck him in HQ.

Kojirou ~ He's not Musashi by any stretch, and his low speed made him last to move for a long time. He did have solid stats though, and I did use him even to the end. He was good, but not incredible.

Max ~ Not as good as Ian, but I didn't really level him (not that there was much of a chance to do that). I absolutely had to use him, how could I not? It was cool to have a second person that could cast Egress, and I dig that they gave him Bolt.

Oddeye ~ Not as good as I expected, but he didn't bump anyone to be in, and his stats weren't horrible either. His special attack was nice, and he pulled in a couple times on Mishaela.

Ruburan got the killshot on Darksol, it was fitting, he probably was my MVP for the game. Really glad I finally played this one.
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Thu Jul 22 2010 3:16pm

Awesome stuff mate, glad you enjoyed it.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Jul 22 2010 6:45pm

Awesome stuff. :)

the tall guy @ Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 pm) wrote:Minto ~ Didn't give her nearly enough of a chance. She probably only leveled up once, she just didn't get enough of a chance, so I can't really say much, I'll try to use her next time (I'll definately play this one again).

Yes, you certainly should do both. >.>
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Jul 23 2010 11:18pm

the tall guy @ Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 pm) wrote: Hawel ~ I liked Hawel, but he ended up getting left behind post promotion. I never did get to level him up to terribly much, and he sat out the final battles. Kinda disappointed, but I may not have given him the best try ever.

Yep, I've kept Hawel around, and found him pretty effective. He has a rather abundant MP supply as I recall, and a solid selection of spells. Only three spells, but goodies: Blaze(with level 4 obtainable by endgame without powerleveling), Freeze, and Attack. He's also easier to keep alive the farther you go into the game.

Sasuke ~ Watered down Ruburan?  Maybe.  But he had good attack, the great range, and the magic.  He was also someone that was really just too good to not use, I don't see why anyone would ditch him.

Eh, Ruburan or no Ruburan, I couldn't see the sense in keeping a ninja who can only take one hit and has mediocre Attack to boot. Basically, what you get in Sasuke is a combination of weak melee fighter and low MP mage, which doesn't really add up to anything useful. It was a constant struggle for me just to keep him at the same levels as the rest of the party.

Ridion ~ I was excited when I got him, Paige was kinda lagging in levels, so I threw him in...  he sucked.  I promptly stuck him in HQ.

Yeah, I couldn't bear even trying Ridion out on my first playthrough. Mind you, that was mainly because his character didn't interest me in the least, but his stats didn't help. I'm curious to try him out and see how much of a challenge he adds to the game.

Anyways, good to hear that you enjoyed the game. :)

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict