Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Ark
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Ark

Sega's forthcoming Shining title for the PSP.

Re: Shining Ark

Postby VyseLegendaire » Thu Dec 27 2012 7:02am

SEGA is not going to let Camelot touch the now-debached Shining franchise every again, I'm afraid. The latest Golden Sun game is about the closest you are going to get from Camelot to a traditional RPG-style game, I think.
"Why the hell would the director use the sounds of happy children if we're to interpret that humanity had been destroyed!?"
"Why the hell would the director use the sounds of happy children if we're to interpret that humanity had been destroyed!?"
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 29 2012 1:53am
Location: Alsatia

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Chaos Wizard » Thu Dec 27 2012 12:37pm

I would like to think that Road, Feather, Blade and Ark are Tsuyoshi Sawada's way of moving a little closer to the original series, but I have no doubt what so ever that he isn't going to want to make a Camelot style Shining Game.

Honestly as I've been researching the new series and really taking a look at the games, it does almost seem like they have been moving towards reconnecting to a certain extent. They are even running a bit of a risk as Shining Force EXA, and Shining Tears are the best selling Shining Games since Shining Force II, and Shining Force CD, and aren't anything like Feather that's game sales are comparative to Shining Force III. Blade and Hearts to be honest have sold pretty well in Japan. It's a shame we'll not likely see them here. Which is absolutely foolish considering how well similar titles have done over here. Atlus themselves sometimes receive higher sales with their RPG titles in North America than in Japan which is a bit of an oddity truth be told.

I really think I've come to the conclusion in just the last few days that I'm all for seeing more Neverland, and Atlus titles. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed they are too fluffy.
Chaos Wizard

User avatar
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 21198
Joined: Tue Apr 27 2004 12:30pm
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Re: Shining Ark

Postby sbloom85 » Thu Dec 27 2012 3:15pm

Chaos Wizard wrote:Oh and Conversation Over. Get back on topic of Shining Ark.

Thank you, Chaos.
sbloom85

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Jan 08 2010 8:11pm
Location: Iron River, Michigan, United States

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Fri Dec 28 2012 3:36am

Ranah Elwing, present in all the Tony's Shining until now will be present as an NPC in the game.

I am not really fond of her new design, more sexy than before. Too much, I think.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Okami » Fri Dec 28 2012 4:10am

im not to found of the desings as of late either. They seem to be going in the The Forbidden Series trend to give characters more sex appeal to make fan girls go nutts. I read a review on SF III once that had a pic of Arawant and I think Mageron and the caption said "remember when the bad guys used to actualy look scary or bad ass?"
Okami

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Sep 04 2005 4:58pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Fri Dec 28 2012 4:20am

Actually Fafner and Sleipnir where Bad Ass or scary.

Image

Image
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Okami » Fri Dec 28 2012 4:30am

yeah but they look more for lack of better term Anime eaq and clichue. To me in the original games i found Elliot, Balbazak and Meshila a lot more intimading looking. Im not sure why maybe their more simplistic designs were able to get the point across to me easier then having to be too fancy.
Okami

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Sep 04 2005 4:58pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Fri Dec 28 2012 5:21am

To me in the original games i found Elliot, Balbazak and Meshila a lot more intimading looking. Im not sure why maybe their more simplistic designs were able to get the point across to me easier then having to be too fancy.

yep, It's a

actually the beastmen by Tony are pretty true to the original style of character. Elliot is not so different of Lazarus/Goryuki I think. And none character like goryuki is seen in modern animes.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-07/art/st-lazarus.jpg

yeah but they look more for lack of better term Anime eaq and clichue

Modern anime, the modern anime style is far less serious than the oldchool.

the oldschhool japanese heroic fantasy from late 80/90 was the best, even hentai games and OAV like Dragon knight 4, Dragon pink or Legend of Lion flare were cult, epic and badass

For Mishaela, her design from Tamaki was pretty unique (because Tamaki art is unique, it's why he is my favortie shining charadesigner), but her final conflict design is also pretty generic and anime clich├ęs..

Actually, she remind me so much Karla from Lodoss (and Lodoss is with Berserk, Bastard!! and Slayers the reference for every 90's japanese heroic fantasy production)



chara design of Fire emblem and Dragon force where also pretty similar to chara design of Shining force

It's why I think the new design style are just modern no more anime, while the old are juste retro. And Tony design on Shining just show the problem of every modern anime. The modern public tatste is very different from the oldschool.

his style in 1999 was very different
http://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-galerie-1-type-art-rpg_id-297-supports_id-14-so-galeries.html
He changed it to fit with the taste of modern audience
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Omega Entity » Fri Dec 28 2012 5:24am

Okami wrote:yeah but they look more for lack of better term Anime eaq and clichue. To me in the original games i found Elliot, Balbazak and Meshila a lot more intimading looking. Im not sure why maybe their more simplistic designs were able to get the point across to me easier then having to be too fancy.


"Not intimidating enough? Here, let me add a bunch of spikes to it! It'll bump up scariness by 10 points!"
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

User avatar
*jiggle*
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Fri Mar 06 2009 11:43pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Kalkano » Fri Dec 28 2012 5:47am

chevkraken wrote:Actually Fafner and Sleipnir where Bad Ass or scary.

Image

Image


I actually do like those designs. They're few and far between, though, nowadays.

Chaos Wizard wrote:Atlus themselves sometimes receive higher sales with their RPG titles in North America than in Japan which is a bit of an oddity truth be told.


That's probably because Japan has TONS of JRPGs. When they're released in English, they have much less competition. Also, English-speaking JRPG fans are STARVING for them. I think a lot of people just buy any JRPG that comes along, because it's not that common, anymore.
Currently playing for the first time: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently playing for the first time: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

User avatar
Shining Commander
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Sep 22 2004 5:25pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Okami » Fri Dec 28 2012 7:24am

I think they would be more intimidating if they lose the gems off the Armor, make their eyes really glow demonic red. And...give the human guy a Loincloth part of his armor to take away from the form fitting look the armor has.
Okami

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Sep 04 2005 4:58pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Chaos Wizard » Fri Dec 28 2012 10:40am

Kalkano wrote:
Chaos Wizard wrote:Atlus themselves sometimes receive higher sales with their RPG titles in North America than in Japan which is a bit of an oddity truth be told.


That's probably because Japan has TONS of JRPGs. When they're released in English, they have much less competition. Also, English-speaking JRPG fans are STARVING for them. I think a lot of people just buy any JRPG that comes along, because it's not that common, anymore.


Good point.

I've got to say I really fail to see the design connection between FF and the new Tony Taka's models. The Judges in FFXII certainly have a very sinister full armored frame, but they aren't nearly as cartoony.

Taka is an Anime artist, so we can't exactly expect much beyond anime from him as that's what's made his career.

However, I remember people telling me they were passing on Legend of Dragoon way back because they thought Dart was a physical clone of Cloud, and expected the game itself to be an FF knock off, when in fact the games turned out to be very different, and had their own charms.

FF is certainly colorful, and there is a measure of Anime involved, the large eyes, rounded, or angular features, but this is certainly more anime than any FF title.

Then again Xenogears, totally Anime. One of the most outstanding PSX RPG's ever.

Not saying I expect blade to be on the same level as Xenogears, but I do more or less expect it to be a solid RPG from what I've been able to gather.

I would absolutely love to get in contact with someone, and get the entire concepts, and creative thoughts behind these new games, but they aren't nearly as approachable, as easily reached, and certainly not as responsible as Camelot was. Which is a shame, and hopefully, at least in my eyes, something that will eventually change.
Chaos Wizard

User avatar
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 21198
Joined: Tue Apr 27 2004 12:30pm
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Sat Dec 29 2012 2:28am

That's probably because Japan has TONS of JRPGs. When they're released in English, they have much less competition. Also, English-speaking JRPG fans are STARVING for them. I think a lot of people just buy any JRPG that comes along, because it's not that common, anymore.

Actually, I think it's because the modern, dark and urban setting of the persona is very popular in US . more than very naive other JRPG.
the far bigger console fan is important too.
It's the same reason who made Valkyria Chronicles and Advanced war popular in US. US people is very fan of modern wars with tank. And at this time of, the PS3 was not very popular in japan at the time of the release.

actually the majority of JRPG series made better score in japan even with less console base, the japanese public always buy JRPG
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Omega Entity » Sat Dec 29 2012 3:16am

Atelier series
Ar Tonelico
Radiant Historia
Tales of series
Etrian Odyssey series
Fire Emblem series
Kingdom Hearts series
The Forbidden Series series
Dragon Quest series
Disgaea series

All recent RPGs or series with a medieval theme or overarching elements thereof, that are translated and sold to US audiences.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

User avatar
*jiggle*
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Fri Mar 06 2009 11:43pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Sat Dec 29 2012 4:46am

actually, Tales of, Dragon quest, Etrian Odyssey, Atelier and Ar Tonelico series still sell more in japan, most of the forbidden series too.

Except Persona 3, it's Persona also sell more in japan.

And this with Japan having the smaller hardware base and 2 x less population. So no, US fan are still less RPG fan of JRPG than japanese.

And no, It's not the quanity of JRPG who made lowest sales in japan because many series sales more in japan and in %, the japan sales more in nearly every case
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Omega Entity » Sat Dec 29 2012 5:09am

Your argument was that there's little/less interest in medieval-themed games in the west, not that they sell better in the west than Japan. That they bother porting the games over here (far more than the modern/future-themed ones) says otherwise. Your argument, as it was stated by you, is proven wrong.

Accept that you were wrong for once, instead of changing your argument midway through.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

User avatar
*jiggle*
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Fri Mar 06 2009 11:43pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Sat Dec 29 2012 5:39am

My argument was wrong, I don't deny this. Yes, you have proved my argument was wrong.

I haven changed my argument, my argument were wrong but the conclusion don't match with the Kalkano argument, so his argument were wrong

No the US fans are not more into the RPG than the japanese and not, the quantity of JRPG release in japan don't make the sales lower.

Japanese fans are still the biggest consumer of JRPG.
Last edited by chevkraken on Sat Dec 29 2012 5:43am, edited 1 time in total.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Stordarth » Sat Dec 29 2012 5:42am

I'll add Agarest: Generations of War Zero, 1 and 2 (on PS3) to the 'recent JRPGs that receieved ports/translations' list.

Recent IP, not established, far riskier than a tried and true series like Shining Force, by a relatively obscure publishing company with nowhere near the clout and stage presence that SEGA have (read 'had').

The original did well enough to warrant a sequel and a prequel.

Irrespective of whether JRPGs are more popular in Japan or not (which of course would be the case - saying otherwise would be like saying that pasta isn't more popular in Italy than elsewhere), if the little guys can do it (on PS3 no less), why can't SEGA?
Stordarth

User avatar
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 3:30pm
Location: The Midlands, Staffordshire, England

Re: Shining Ark

Postby chevkraken » Sat Dec 29 2012 6:10am

if the little guys can do it (on PS3 no less), why can't SEGA?

because the game are on PSP, a system nearly dead out of japan where even the fordidden series titles are not anymore ported in US.

Have you never see that it not the japanese editor who released games like agarest, Agarest or Atelier out of japan? It was editor specialised on edition (so with their own translator, their own fanbase (so no publicity) and no devellopment cost).

Aksys, NIS america or Xseed. If we want the new Shining in US, it to them we need to ask them. Actually, Shining is not a big series, Atelier is a bigger series, Tales of and Persona too

And Nippon ichi is not a good exemple to follow, since 2008, they lose money every year by ported so much games.

far riskier

Actually I don't see the risk the devellopper had to release a game with PSX graphic max price in 2008. the game cost anything to devellop.
Shining Ark and Blade are top level production. Sega is against the idea to make cheap games (and it's why I love them)
Last edited by chevkraken on Sat Dec 29 2012 6:21am, edited 1 time in total.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Stordarth » Sat Dec 29 2012 6:21am

Well, they chose the PSP. That's their mistake.

I also do know that it is not the Japanese editor that released Agarest to the west. But surely that is what SEGA of America/Europe should be for, as opposed to limp vestigial growths?

Atelier and Tales might be, but Agarest isn't bigger. They're still doing well.

And your last sentence only strengthens my argument, not yours. If Agarest/Disgaea/Neptunia graphics are so subpar, yet still have such strong followings, 1. That should be an instant red flag to SEGA that substance is more vital than appearance, 2. SEGA is much larger and well known than the company that created/published Agarest. They have more revenue from their long established reign. The capital/graphics quality of each company and their games would be fairly equally proportional, as a result, I would think.
Stordarth

User avatar
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 3:30pm
Location: The Midlands, Staffordshire, England

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Ark

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest