Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Ark
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Ark

Sega's forthcoming Shining title for the PSP.

Re: Shining Ark

Postby Omega Entity » Sat Jan 19 2013 5:38am

You're seriously arguing that the Saturn wasn't alive in Japan long after the West?

From Wikipedia:
The Saturn was discontinued in 1998 in most countries, and in 2000 in Japan.

In what was usually a 5-year life cycle for systems back then, 6 years in Japan versus the 2 to 3 years in the US is not only huge, but double the lifespan.

Also, yes, Sega -was- responsible for lack of third-party support for their system:

From Wikipedia:
As Sega began public discussion about their next generation system, barely two years after having launched the Saturn, it became a self-defeating prophecy, some citing it as an example of the Osborne effect. This move, combined with Sega's recent history of short-lived consoles, particularly the Sega CD and 32X which were considered ill-conceived "stopgaps" that turned off gamers and developers alike, led to a chain reaction that quickly caused the Saturn's future to collapse. Immediately following the announcement, sales of the console and software substantially tapered off in the second half of 1997, and many planned games were canceled, causing the console's life expectancy to shorten substantially. While this let Sega focus on bringing out its successor, premature demise of the Saturn caused them financial problems. Even though the Dreamcast did address many of the problems with the Saturn, Sega's damaged reputation caused customers and publishers to be skeptical and hold out to see how it would fare against S*ny's PlayStation 2.

The Saturn's motherboard was complex and difficult to consolidate, making it expensive to produce.
The aggressive move to replace the Saturn resulted in a rift between Sega and many of their third-party developers and publishers. North American developers were already hostile to the Saturn because it was difficult to program for, and because they were left out by its early release, so the future project alienated what remaining support Sega had in that region. However, many Japanese developers had strongly supported the Saturn in its homeland and saw little reason for Sega to rush another platform to market. The announcement caused a substantial drop in software sales, causing frustrated third parties to cancel many planned releases.[citation needed] The early abandonment of the Saturn hurt third party software support not only for that system, but also for Sega in general. Several major publishers such as Electronic Arts declined to support the upcoming Dreamcast, which played a part in its discontinuation as well.

By discontinuing the hardware early, Sega effectively killed any third-party support the system may have garnered, and also ruined relations for any third-party developers they might have had for the Dreamcast, essentially setting themselves up for failure. A company in the hardware business is supposed to encourage third-party developers to make games for their system, as they get kickback from the licensing of those games. Sega did the opposite, to the extent of being nearly downright hostile to them instead, so yes, it does fall on them, even for third-party games.

Oh, by the way:

Number of Saturn games released during the total lifespan of the system in the US: 245

Number of Saturn games released in Japan: 1000+

Games released in 1999 to 2000: 19

You don't know jack shit about what you're talking about, nor the industry. I suggest you stop pretending you do, before you continue making more of an obnoxious fool of yourself than you already have.
Last edited by Omega Entity on Sat Jan 19 2013 6:09am, edited 2 times in total.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jan 19 2013 5:51am

Let's stop this 'debate' here, shall we?

Let's keep this about discussing the game. I've said numerous times in other threads to leave this argument alone. Please don't let me see it continue beyond this point.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby chevkraken » Sat Jan 19 2013 8:50pm

You are right Stordash

my response is here Omega entity

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23674&p=649085#p649085
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby StorMyu » Sun Jan 20 2013 8:29pm

Aaawwwww !!!!!!

StorMyu

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chevkraken » Tue Feb 26 2013 6:56pm

very long video with cutscene, gameplay and I think, many spoil

chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby StorMyu » Thu Feb 28 2013 3:33pm

And I've got the game, stuff are almost 100% similar to Shining Blade so I guess it's still hackable without any troubles once I'll start Shining Blade ^^
StorMyu

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Ark