Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Blade
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

I Played Shining Blade

Review/Impressions Inside

Another Japan-only modern Shining title for the PSP.

I Played Shining Blade

Postby Kalkano » Sat Jun 27 2015 8:56pm

I played it using a fan translation by CyberAkuma (http://cyberakuma.livejournal.com/10948.html). I vaguely remember some people here not being fond of him, but I'm not sure why. Anyway, I just read the translation online, while playing it on my PSP. The translation isn't perfect, but it did it's job and made it playable.

As for the game itself:

Battle Gameplay: Not bad at all. This part was a little frustrating, since it didn't have a translation, and I had to guess what each move was. But, the game shows you how much damage/healing each one will do, so it wasn't THAT bad. There are also tutorials even into late parts of the games, and of course I had to just nod along like, "yeah, ok, sure". Even after beating it, I STILL don't know how I was supposed to remove ice blocks (I tried the obvious fire spells on them, but they didn't work).

For the most part though, the gameplay is pretty intuitive and easy to figure out. I just wish it was on a larger scale, with more characters involved. There actually seem to be TOO MANY characters available, since you can only use 5 in each battle. The total seems to be about the same as old Shining Force games, and it was just right there. But, those games let you use 12 at a time.

Grade: B-

Out-Of-Battle Gameplay: There's some decent weapon/skill upgrade options, but no exploration whatsoever. There are a few tiny towns to walk around, where you can get some "filler" quests that are really just grinding. The world map is just a static image where you select your destination.

Grade: C-

Story: Fan-fiction. Bad fan-fiction. Here's what the story basically boils down to. Character from the series shows up and stuff happens because reasons. Rinse and repeat. Some might think this is because of the translation, but that's definitely not it. It's clear what the story is going for; it's just not good and is completely unmemorable. It also has some modern anime trappings that I hate.

Grade: D

Soundtrack: It's...ok...I tend to think of Takeharu Ishimoto ("Unmentionable" 7: Crisis Core) as the worst video game composer of all time, because almost all of his songs consist of a 5-second riff that is repeated ad-nauseam. Hiroki Kikuta (Shining Blade's composer) has a similar bad habit, but it's not nearly as bad. I may have enjoyed half of the soundtrack, once it grew on me a little.

Grade: C

Overall: The battle system is this game's saving grace. Thankfully, that's most of the game. I would have been bored without it. I wish it was larger-scale, but it's still fun. While the game didn't blow me away by any means, it was good enough that I'd play Shining Ark if anyone ever did a fan translation.

Grade: C
Currently Playing for the First Time: Stella Glow

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Re: I Played Shining Blade

Postby chevkraken » Wed Jul 15 2015 1:36am

I STILL don't know how I was supposed to remove ice blocks (I tried the obvious fire spells on them, but they didn't work).

You need to attack with a character with fire element. you just need to use Elmina or Dylan if you still have the original weapon of your character and upgraded it (changing weapon also change the element of your basic attack)
There's some decent weapon/skill upgrade options, but no exploration whatsoever. There are a few tiny towns to walk around, where you can get some "filler" quests that are really just grinding. The world map is just a static image where you select your destination.

i think you didn't see and missed many thing.

buying bread give also different battle bonus also unlock special quest(for unlock new bread) and accessories.

like in the old Shining force, the accessories seller have a special section with limited but very powerful accessories, these accessories are lose if you don't take them during the chapter their appears

there is also few exploration during the battle (chest on the map with some objects for weapons and skill upgdrading). in every town during every chapter, there is also hided some object( accessory, item or material for skill upgrading) or money (2 in each town at different place each chapter)

their is also the main subquest, the character quest like in ROTDD and Valkyria chronicle 2.

By using each character in battle and doing link attack with Rage, every character gain afinity point with Rage. you can also gain (or lose) some of them by talking with them between battle. these affinity quest unlock character quest

Finishing the character quest unlock the personnal story of 15 of the 21 character, new potential in fight for each character, new song for the loreilei and in the chapter after the ending the true end possible with 6 girl from the game (Yukihime, Altina, Elmina, Misty, Roselinde and Sakuya) during the chapter 10

if you restart your final save after the ending CS, you will launch a last chapter with some high level battle and an extra dungeon with the highest level to unlock and new fighting style for Sakuya and Xecty(and also a loreilei mode for kerberos)
The last chapter can be 30 hour long if you intend to unlock everything (character quest, each girl ending, final dungeon, all weapon)

Here's what the story basically boils down to. Character from the series shows up and stuff happens because reasons. Rinse and repeat. Some might think this is because of the translation, but that's definitely not it. It's clear what the story is going for; it's just not good and is completely unmemorable. It also has some modern anime trappings that I hate.

For the story, don't forget the game is the sequel to Tears , Wind, Tears X wind, Wind X(the mobile game) and Fan festa(a fan disc for PC) and the game assume you already know the characters and the setting

like the fact the Shining world is named Endias(the world of the End, the name came after its nearly destruction against dark Dragon when the ancient civilisation was active.
Our world is Eld, the place where the ancient are gone following their near destruction against Dark dragon. they traveled in another dimension where the time is different the 2000 years since ancient disparition in Endias is only 50 years in Eld).
Rage, Kanon, Kariya and Touka are descendant of the ancients who live in japan
Their is many thing to know (like the fact the king of Runevale and Bestia who are said being killed are character shown in Shining Tears, one of them was even playable)

Playing Shining blade without any knowlegde about the character is like playing final conflict without playing the other Shining force

And the reasons why the character show up are pretty clear if you know the other games. Don't forget the game take place at the same place as Shining tears (cyberakuma have mistranslated one of the kingdom name, Syldia is Shildia the realm where Shining tears group have their headquarter, Crantor is Klantol(the place where Shining soul 2 take place) so their presence is pretty logical

-- Wed Jul 15 2015 6:19pm --

My grade for the game should be:

Graphic:
A
For the PSP, the graphic are just exccelent amoung the best of the system

Battle Gameplay:
Kalkano review of the gameplay is pretty good, but he have not understood some thing nor seen other (Potential evolution, chest on the map, last dungeon), I don't give A because the game is too easy and the battle team limited to 5 character

B+

Out of Battle gameplay:
Far richer than kalkano said thank to character quest and objet to find
B-

Story:
When we know the story and character from other game, the story is far better, very oldschool but good (It's remind the 2 first shining force and game like Magic knight rayearth) especially when we have made character quest who extend story of each character

C+

Music:
the music are good, and some of them excellent, but the OST in not outstanding neither.(like the original Shining force)
B-

I'll grade the game B+ with higher difficulty, it would be A, Bigger difficulty and bigger battle team and ground, it would be A+ Bigger difficulty, bigger battle team and ground, translation and PS3 graphic, it would be the best Shining ever
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Sun Jul 19 2015 10:39pm

I actually did know about all the other stuff you mentioned. I just found some of it inconsequential. I also played Tears, and watched the animes for Tears X Wind & Hearts. So, I was pretty familiar with the previous stories (which I also thought were subpar).

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby chevkraken » Mon Jul 20 2015 1:46am

Kalkano wrote:I actually did know about all the other stuff you mentioned. I just found some of it inconsequential.

Inconsequential? somes high level bosses who give real challenge, dating system, a complete dungeon, new potential giving better gameplay and storyline...
It's note because you are not interested by these thing you can ignore it in your review. there is much more than only grinding quest out of the battle
Kalkano wrote: I also played Tears, and watched the animes for Tears X Wind & Hearts. So, I was pretty familiar with the previous stories (which I also thought were subpar).

If shining tears, Blade or Wind story is subpar, every story of Shining except Shining force 3 is also subpar. Except for Shining force 3, Shining series never been very good or complexe and the character devepplment was always very poor
Shining tears or Blade storyline share many similarity with the First Shining Force, And the character from the game have much devellopment than most of the character from Shining in the dark, force, force 2 and CD
Wind story give even an excellent background (even if badly told in Tears X Wind).Actually, you just said " Character from the series shows up and stuff happens because reasons. "
We can said that for every game and Story ever. Your story review is very bad, you just shown you were not interested by the story and have not fellow it.
aven if you dislike it, you shoud be able to see some of the quality of the title.

the story is maybe very cliché, but it not mean bad and it have many sub plot(Rick past and trauma, Fenrir and Slut...)

Shining Ark have bad story, Blade, Wind and Tears, no.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Omega Entity » Mon Jul 20 2015 4:25am

In your opinion.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Blade