Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Blade
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Lets be honest here.

Shining Blade looks pretty cool.

Another Japan-only modern Shining title for the PSP.

Lets be honest here.

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:14am

I would like to make a point here that it isn't even the games that are the problem at the moment here, aside from the fact that most of us aren't able to play them.

Watch this trailer, and tell me this doesn't look like a solid RPG.

Now the big difference from what I can tell between Blade, and Ark is an over abundance of cutesiess.

That could be a bit more of a culture gap maybe? Maybe there is a Japanese market that doesn't click with western players, but Blade. I would play the shit out of that game.

The Shining Road games even look kinda cool. Of course I can't find any videos of them, and can only view screenshots really.

They are honestly only a hair away from a game that I don't think anyone would really bitch about, if they would, first of all. Release these games in Western Markets.

It's not like Shining Soul I &II, NEO, EXA, Wind, Tears, or Hearts didn't do decently over here, and even with minimal coverage. A PSP or Major Console release of a game like Blade could honestly do the series wonders, so it's again, not the games that anyone needs to be having a bone to pick with Sega. It's ignoring their fans, and disrespecting their fans.

If we can at least be level headed about what we could have, and view that as a possible open door to a larger scale series, and maybe (but don't hold your breath) SRPG most of us have been masturbating furiously at the thought of for over a decade, certain Sega employees can at least see where we're coming from, rather than us giving them fuel for whatever fire they've built for themselves, and spit at us for.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Re: Lets be honest here.

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:16am

Wow my wordage sucks. But you get the idea.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Tue Dec 18 2012 12:58pm

You had me at "Masturbating Furiously"

It's kinda hard to tell exactly how the game would play out from the videos - If it were a pure action-RPG it might be okay, but it it played like an MMORPG (which is becoming somewhat standard for JRPGs, unfortunately) then I probably wouldn't be able to play it for more than a couple of hours before being disgusted. I played about 4 hours of the last story before saying "f*ck this shit" because standard MMORPG gameplay is the primary reason I don't play MMORPGs. That and the communities tend to be insufferable.

Also, I'm not crazy about the character designs - more than anything, it's the "Modern clothing in a fantasy setting" thing that I don't understand at all. but I can usually ignore that if the gameplay is good enough. I suspect the plot would be an afterthought.
All of Tony Taka's women look exactly the same apart from clothing and hairstyle. And even that gets some samey-ness since they're all apparently wearing fetish gear, or appear to be cosplaying as themselves, in their own game. Some of his more 'traditional' designs that pop up are actually pretty good, there were pictures of a dragonman in full-plate and a panther-dude in some pretty bitchin' armor which really only serves to accentuate the main characters midriff baring spandex habit.

Giving it a second watch:

Well, by the looks of it, you have a pretty novel system! It definitely looks turn-based, but it also looks like during your turn, you have realtime control over the character.

Seems like it could be pretty cool from a gameplay standpoint.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby VyseLegendaire » Tue Dec 18 2012 3:26pm

The gameplay and graphics are impressive enough that I would give the game a shot if it were given an English language release. The fact that SEGA is in control is what makes the release so implausible...

I still can't stand the character designs and art style though, f*ck Tony Taka that miscreant. :excited:
"Why the hell would the director use the sounds of happy children if we're to interpret that humanity had been destroyed!?"
"Why the hell would the director use the sounds of happy children if we're to interpret that humanity had been destroyed!?"

Postby Kalkano » Tue Dec 18 2012 7:32pm

Right before Sega went ultra-douche, I was actually considering trying this game with an online English script. That's how I played all of SF3, the first time. Now, hell no.

If I change my mind, and give it a shot, you better believe I'll be buying it used.
Currently Playing for the First Time: Stella Glow

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:12pm

I think I've made my point. *nods*
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby whiterose » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:56pm

I agree, it isn't all just the games in the series; Sega has chosen how they want this series to go, and will continue to go regardless of what we in the west say or feel about it. And maybe the games are fairly good for all I know. But that's a reason why this is so disappointing to me as a fan of this series. We'll likely never see 99% of the games over here, as long as Sega chooses to continue ignore its western fanbase. I would like to give Blade a shot. I'd like to give any of the Japanese-only games a shot, but really can't unless we see them released here.
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Wed Dec 19 2012 9:08am

I'm not sure I would be fanatical enough to play with a game script like with Sc: 2 and 3 and SF:FC, but I'd definitely be interested if it got ported to English.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby VyseLegendaire » Wed Dec 19 2012 9:21pm

Judging from the trailers, the games are 'plot-light' so I imagine you could even enjoy the game or at least get the gist of it from playing the import without a full understanding of the plot....I don't think the new Shining games have been known for or intended for their plot, more akin to even-lighter versions of the Tales games from Namco Bandai.

Postby Kalkano » Wed Dec 19 2012 10:38pm

VyseLegendaire wrote:Judging from the trailers, the games are 'plot-light' so I imagine you could even enjoy the game or at least get the gist of it from playing the import without a full understanding of the plot....I don't think the new Shining games have been known for or intended for their plot, more akin to even-lighter versions of the Tales games from Namco Bandai.

I can't play any game, without knowing exactly what's going on. Guessing won't cut it for me. Story may not be important to some gamers, but it is to most. I actually get very annoyed when I see a Let's Play, and the player is skipping through story scenes as fast as possible, while screaming, "Shut up! Shut up! Just let me play the damn game!" That attitude does not compute, for me.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Chaos Wizard » Thu Dec 20 2012 8:02pm

I might be able to pull that off with a demo, but I doubt I could really give a play through justice without the dialog. I'd imagine the gameplay would still be fun, and visually stimulating from the looks of things.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby VyseLegendaire » Thu Dec 20 2012 9:40pm

At the very least, you can coddle your fancy package copy of the game and pray mantra-like that it will be released overseas. :)

Postby Lobo » Fri Dec 21 2012 1:07pm

Corsair wrote:Well, by the looks of it, you have a pretty novel system! It definitely looks turn-based, but it also looks like during your turn, you have realtime control over the character.

Seems like it could be pretty cool from a gameplay standpoint.

It looks like that to me too, but...
Anybody knows how it really works? :confused:

What would define 'a turn'?

Is it a set ammount of time? And then the character would be able to move and attack as much as he can in that set time?
Or maybe the turn would be defined as 'the time necessary for the character to execute a set number of actions'? Like, on each turn, a character can attack/cast spells/use items 3 times?

Or does it follow another rule I can't imagine by now? :eyebrow:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Omega Entity » Fri Dec 21 2012 6:50pm

If it's really based on a similar setup as Valkyria Chronicles, then it's pretty easy to explain.

In VC, you get a 'stamina gauge' of sorts - you can move around as long as you have stamina. Unless some other thing is in play (some character have special traits that allow for a random second turn, usually when certain conditions are met), you can take one action at any point in your movements, be it attack, item, or stay and take up defensive position. If you still have stamina left over after your action (outside of stay), then you can continue moving until either you run out of stamina, or you find someplace to hunker down of your choosing. So, tactical RPG would be the best way to describe it, I think.

There's no real 'hack and slash' elements to VC - most likely due to there being mostly guns and ranged weapons with only a few exceptions. But that may be something they changed in blade, do to it being more melee in nature. For the best idea of how it works, I'd look up videos Valkyria Chronicles 2, since that's the one that was released over here that's on the PSP, and so would likely share more traits than the first game in the series.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Thief » Sun Dec 23 2012 10:05am

How does the story compare to Valkyria?
Thief

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Omega Entity » Sun Dec 23 2012 11:50pm

That, I wouldn't know. It's a different franchise, and so there will likely be ties to previous Shining games, though admittedly probably more to the more recent entries.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Wed Dec 26 2012 4:51am

The game is much more melee than VC.

here is a gameplay video of the game on JPCSP, the PSP emulator (the game is fully playable on it with only a music bug as music don't loop)

exactly, more than only a VC clone, Shining blade gameplay is a mix between Valkyria Chronicles, Shining force and Sakura wars.

we have

From Shining force:
-Race
-Weapons
-Classes
-Very uniques and different character by mixing theses elements and giving to them uniques capacities (Shining force is the only series with so much unique characters)
-somes free exploration in the 5 town of the games (with new item to find and quest to obtain in each chapter)
-treasures box on the battle map like in Shining force 2
-Some ultimate spell from Shining force 3

From Valkria Chronicles:
-movement system
-aiming system
-counter system (but only for melee character for the playable character)
-ennemies attacking us during our turn (and playable archer attacting the ennemies during their turn)
-the selection system by using point to use character (giving us the possibility to reuse a same character in our turn)
-Potential system (but more evolving and including some element from the affinity system of Shining force 3 and the relationship system of Sakura wars)

From Sakura wars:
1.The dating system with multiple choice question for the relation ship system
2.possibility to obtain an ending with 5 girls of the game.
3.The combo attack
4.the force system (replacing the magic bar), similar of a special bar from 2D fighting games
and for the bad:
5.Similar difficulty (nearly absent except againt the bosses battles and during end game contents)
6.Only 5 playable character in same times

For the new gameplay element:
-The concerto system, really useful against bosses. like into the Macross/Robotech anime. on of the playable character can stay inactive during the fight to sing somes jpop song to give you different boost (more esquive, more attack, HP regeneration...)

It's sad the game don't include some Valkyria Chronicles elements already present in Shining force like:
-20 level system
-promotion system
-the incapacity to ressurected character during the battles and the needing to go to the church/infirmary to reuse them. (Blade use a generic ressurection item)

For the story,

First of all, I am not talking japanese and I am just used to watch subbed anime and I understand 70% of the story, all my friend also watching anime have also understand the story beacause the game is nearly full dubbed .
The japanese level of understanding is not really high if this game

And expect for the the personal story of every playable character(like in VC 2), it's not really similar to VC, it's more like a mix between Shining Tears/Wind and the first Shining force.

Shining Blade can be seen like a modern Shining force Final conflict. It's an episode making big amount of retcon, cameo, returning character and using element from every Shining released to linking every titles.

It's the direct continuation of Shining Wind (or exactly the direct continuation of Wind X because Wind X is the prologue of Blade, telling us the Rise of the Dragonia empire and the fight of the Weiss riiter against them).
The story is more enjoyable if you know the story of Tears and Wind (or at least if you have seen, the Shining Tears X wind anime) because 70% of the character of these game came back as playable character. Some other are mentioned.

But the game is not only linked to the Tony's Shining:

-The game tell us the Story of the ressurection of Dark Dragon who have been beaten 1000 years ago by the Shining force. The story share many element with the story of the first Shining force (but the ROTDD version of the story seems considered as the canon because Shining Tears telling us the fight beteween Dark Dragon and White Dragon).
It's very enjoyable for someone who prefer the genesis storylines to the saturn storyline.

-A part of the Story take place in Klantol, the realm of Shining soul 2.

-A NPC in the second town is a kid named Julian, as the fairy in Shining Tears (setting 2 years before Blade) shared her name with a fairy from Shining the holy Ark, the 2 games could be near in the official Sega timeline.

-As in Shining Wind, the ancient are present in the story line.

-The character talk about other continent than Liberia and Valeria, so we could asumme than Rune and Parmecia could be in the same world (especially because in Tears Runegeist en Shielddia people are said as coming from another continent in old times.

A PSP or Major Console release of a game like Blade could honestly do the series wonders, so it's again, not the games that anyone needs to be having a bone to pick with Sega. It's ignoring their fans, and disrespecting their fans.

the problem is bigger, even Square enix don't release in the west their last forbidden series titles for PSP even if he made big sales and good had good review.
A PSP western release is only possible now by asking the edtor like Aksys, Xseed or NIS america
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Dec 26 2012 5:03am

Force Bar - Shining Force Feather
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Wed Dec 26 2012 5:51am

Shining force Feather gameplay was very near to Sakura wars 3/4 gameplay (and the PS2 remake of the first game).

It was the nearest game series in gameplay

chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaos Wizard » Thu Dec 27 2012 7:50am

Julian was in Shining the Holy Ark as a child before Shining Force III as an adult, so that would still be a variance on the original storyline.

Let's seriously put the debate to rest. It's not the same storyline.

The original chronology was vague in the first place past the Megadrive/Genesis and Game Gear era.

Sawada has said it himself that his games are a revision of the old series.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Blade