Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather Shining Force Feather Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Have you played Shining Force Feather on an emulator?

If so, maybe you can help! Save files needed!

Forum for the Shining Force Feather Translation Project team to discuss progress. More translators always welcome!

Have you played Shining Force Feather on an emulator?

Postby Moogie » Thu Sep 27 2012 10:24pm

As you may be aware, a project to translate Shining Force Feather is currently underway :)

Unfortunately I can't be much help on the translation front as most of the language used is out of my league >.<;;

However, I thought of a way myself & other non-Japanese speakers can help!

Although we have rips of the Japanese script from the game which are ready to be translated, knowing the context can be a great help. Not all the translators have played the game right though and so here's where we can help!

My plan is to record videos of all the cutscenes in the game and to work out which bit of script goes with which cutscene. This way the translators can watch the videos to get an idea of the context. Since a lot of the Feather cutscenes also include voice overs, this may also prove helpful to the translators.

I played through Feather on my DS, so I don't have any emulator based save files at the moment. I can play through the game and record as I go, but this is going to take some time and I don't want to hold things up.

So, here's where you come in! If you have any save files for Feather could you please send them to me to help me skip around the game grabbing cutscenes?

Or maybe you'd like to help by making some videos from the game yourself?

I can add all the videos to the Google docs the translation team is using, so they'll be easily shared.

If you can help, please let me know :D
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Re: Have you played Shining Force Feather on an emulator?

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Sep 28 2012 11:49am

Moogie wrote:I played through Feather on my DS, so I don't have any emulator based save files at the moment.

Same here. Wish I could have been more helpful.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nateburke » Fri Sep 28 2012 4:57pm

this game looks interesting sorry I cant help
nateburke

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sun Sep 30 2012 12:31pm

Definitely want to play it but I would need a game script to know what was going on myself.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Mon Oct 01 2012 10:07pm

I make Let's play videos on Youtube. I imagine I could make videos of the whole thing. Depends on what emulator it runs on though - Fraps doesn't record every emulator. I had to use Gens 32 for my SF2 LP, for instance. Would love to help though.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Tue Oct 02 2012 9:01am

Cool beans! Anything you could make would be great - although FRAPS doesn't run on the emulator I use (no$gba) because of the double screen, so I've been using CamStudio. Just be careful if you're putting these vids up on YouTube as another SFCer had loads of Feather videos up there until Sega clamped down recently and got him shut down. They even took down a few of the SF:SOS campaign vids >.<;;
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Tue Oct 02 2012 7:58pm

All right, thanks for the warning. Doubt I'd have much trouble, as I'm not making money outta the videos, but still. I'll make sure to add in the description that Sega owns the rights to the game.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Tue Oct 02 2012 9:32pm

Neither was sulfuroxp or the SOS project, but it didn't stop Sega getting shirty about it :( Good luck with it though! I'll still try to get some videos together myself but if you're a "let's play"er I imagine you'll make your way through it rather faster than I!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Oct 03 2012 12:17am

Going through a game completely blind when I can't understand a thing about whatever anyone is saying, fast? What? :cake: ;)

Seriously though, I read some time ago a text of someone who was exploring the limits of LP copyright problems etc... someone linked it to me and I can't find the link again dammit. But the bottom line is, recognize their rights to the game, and say you're doing this for educationnal purposes (ie you're showing them how it's done). Essentially put the focus on it being about your commentary, away from the game (kind of), and you're kinda fine. It's really shifty grounds though.

I think this project will only start next week though, unless I run into some problems. I'll post a link to it here I guess, once it's started. Your translator guys know of this thread I imagine?
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Wed Oct 03 2012 9:28am

Well, this thread appears in all forums so the translators should be seeing it in the translation forum too :)

Don't rush to get on with this just yet though as I've just heard from one of the tech guys on the project that he has a way to load any cutscene at the very start of the game, which would make it a whole lot easier to capture the videos. I should have instructions for this in the next day or so, and if they aren't totally over my head I should be able to get all the vids together pretty quickly this way.

But, if that doesn't work then we'll still need to do this the old fashioned way ;)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Oct 17 2012 7:22pm

All right, so I finally started my LP. There's been no news on this for a while now, so I'll just post a link to the playlist here, in case you need it for anything.

For those interested, I'm doing the LP to help out with the traduction (if it's still helpful), but also because it looked like fun. I'll be starting the updates on a battle every time, so those who can't be bothered with the story they can't even read will have an easy time just getting what they want (which would be the battle itself). I'll also try to cut up the updates so that the battle ends with a video and then the story starts in another (I imagine it'd kinda make it easier for translators as well), but no promises there. I'll try talking to everyone and everything, but if I miss something, well oops sorry.

Also, if people could explain some of the menus, I'd be grateful. I mainly have questions for the ship part. I think I kinda figured out what the buy stuff button is, but I didn't find a way to sell it back (in my practice). Stuff like that. If the menus are translated that'd be a great help. Talking about translation, if there's anything done definitively, I'd love to have a copy and like voice act it or something (during my LP). You'd probably like to keep it until it's done, but still. If you don't mind I'd love to have a copy of what's translated. Put your work out there a little.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Wed Oct 17 2012 8:22pm

Just a quick reply as i'm on my mobile!
a guide to the menus/playing the game can be found in the feather forum.
As for releasing any translation, thats not my decision and i imagine the project will be quite some time in develolment before it us anything like ready for a test release.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Oct 17 2012 9:00pm

Haha, can't believe I checked gamefaqs but not this forum's section. Silly me. Thanks :)
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Cupwalkerz » Tue Nov 06 2012 4:11am

Some people have posted before on game play or how to videos on the game, but it seems youtube keeps deleting them or are they still around but hard to find?
Cupwalkerz

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Nov 07 2012 1:28am

With a quick search of Shining Force feather gameplay, I can still find a few videos, plus mine of course. I hope they don't take mine down.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Cupwalkerz » Wed Nov 07 2012 1:39am

Thanks :) found your videos on youtube, I don't know how my eyes missed them :shifty:
Cupwalkerz

Return to Shining Force Feather Translation Project